Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 20 October 2015
I've never left a review for a book before, in spite of having read quite a few in my time... and to be honest I have thought long and hard before leaving this one but eventually just couldn't help myself (and, having read the other reviews about this book, now see that I'm in good company). What I would say in a positive light is that, should you ever feel the need for a kind of 'self-help' book to build your self-esteem, read this book. I finished it - because, like one of the other reviewers, I'd paid for it - and was left with an overriding sense that, even in my darkest moments of self-doubt, at least I know that I'm a better human being than the author of this book. Why on earth would you - unless of course you're making it up - choose to air your rather petty, not to say small-minded and rather spiteful, grievances about your in-laws and your 'friends' in print? I'm with your friend Kay who chose to live in Normandy - having spent a week inside your head Andrea, I can see why she didn't want to live near you! If you're looking for a book to help you in your journey to France, don't read this one. There are loads of lovely ones out there and this isn't one of them - this couple sound like they just want a cheap warm England. Oh, and by any chance this woman approaches you and asks if she can adopt one of your kittens, you have been warned.
on 25 May 2015
Well, this rather grumpy lady has almost certainly put off anyone contemplating a move to South West France! I could scarcely believe what I was reading, especially about the abusive hospital staff. Having lived in SW France for almost 7 years I can honestly say that we have been greeted with kindness and smiles in every situation.....including the hospital! And why oh why would you keep having more and more cats when they keep getting killed? Yes, the shops do shut for 2 hours at lunchtime........you're in France and, believe it or not the locals do speak French not English. Vive la difference!
on 16 November 2014
Oh dear, what a bore! Archetypal ex pat Brits living in Dordogne. Gave me a very good reason not to move to that region of France.
It says a lot about the personal number plate brigade! Very little about France and the French more about such things as the French having the audacity to close their businesses for 2 hours at lunchtime!!! Lord give me strength.
on 5 August 2014
Having bought a similar property in the Dordogne 25 years ago, ( and still spend 5 months each year there ), I recognize all the problems of organizing builders who don't turn up, unexpected problems with the electrics, water, fosse septiques etc etc.....but.........I do feel that their constant mention of lack of funds is a bit overdone, as they obviously aren't hard up after selling their UK property. However it is a good read, and I enjoyed it, but my wife gave up half way through and decided it was a bit of a fairy tale. I would be interested to get feed back to my comments from the author herself.....but we still love the area ( we live in the LOT ), and the French way of life.
on 5 February 2015
I'm afraid I have given up on this book less than halfway through. I found the writing to be amateurish, which I could have overlooked had the author seemed engaging or entertaining in any way... but I'd had quite enough of the references to their 'new' house in the UK which they sold, and was left wondering why they didn't just stay there. I guess at the heart of my dislike of it was that I have nothing in common with people who buy brand new houses and install saunas in the spare bedroom! Have now moved on to a much better written book in the genre.
on 6 September 2014
Author doesn't come across as a particularly nice person. For this reason i didn't enjoy the book. Catty comments about friends and constant reference to Jacuzzi parties got tiresome. Far better books of this genre are available.
on 11 March 2015
Unusually for me I paid for this Kindle book, I normally download from amazons free selections unless I've got something specific in mind like another Lee Childs. I do wish I hadn't because the fact it had cost me made me read right through to the end. I hope to be spending quite some time in The Dordogne and had hoped this book might give me a little insight into the area. It didn't. It gave me instead a list of reasons never to move out there, from being ripped off by the natives to being abused by the local hospital staff. This author must be very unlucky as I do have friends in the area and for the most part they have been happy and content with services they have used, that same hospital being one of them. I also got really fed up with her constant referral to being skint, but the fact they managed to buy their French property before actually selling their English home suggests she has never really known what being low on funds means. Why didn't they just do the work at a slower pace like most every one else would have if money was that tight. Then you find out they have buy-to-lets in the UK, wish I was that hard up. Finally, it's not entertaining either as the author comes across as mean and self-centred. Sorry for the rant but needed to be said.
on 21 May 2015
Having read a few reviews before buying this book, I wasn't expecting too much. Therefore, I was surprised that following a slow start, the content became both entertaining and useful. However, several chapters completely lost my interest. Reading about the writers mundane, everyday life and her cats just didn't do it for me. And why do people feel the need to air personal grievances in their material? The part about the person who bought their house in the UK was irrelevant and unnecessary.
on 23 April 2016
I stuck with this book till the end getting increasingly annoyed. I have had lengthy holidays in France for many years and have really got the feel of the country especially when self catering and this is not the country I recognise. In all the years of visiting France I don't think I ever had a bad meal which does not seem to be the case with Andrea Frazer. There seem to be absolutely no willingness to engage with the locals unless they happen to be English. What an impertinence that the locals don't speak English !!!!!! How many members staff in restaurants, shops, garages etc in England speak French ? I think the author should have maybe done her homework before moving to another country as she certainly seems to prefer the one she left. She does not do French Tourism any favours and increases the charge of Little Englander.
on 28 May 2015
I thought this might be fun but it was far from that. The author is has very little good to say about anyone, which is off-putting. She seems to think that everything should go her way and she has very little time for the French either. I had a house in France at one time and can honestly say that we had nothing but kindness and support from our neighbours. Maybe this was because we expected them to be French and not English and we expected that we would need to do things their way and not ours. So we got on famously. I think.perhaps the events described by this author might have been embroidered somewhat to make things more interesting. If that is the case, I am sorry but it failed miserably. A boring read, not nearly as good as some books I have read on settling in France. This author needs to be a bit less critical of people she comes into contact with.