5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant story, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: Better than Gold (Emu Ink Fiction) (Kindle Edition)
This is such an exciting story, I could not put it down. Mary is a carefree girl whose happy life is devastated by the potato blight. Through commitment to her family, she endures separation from them, has to work very hard work and suffers many losses. Her intelligence shines through all her actions and one of her biggest sorrows is giving up her education. The sacrifice of being an obedient nursery maid to spoiled children is rewarded when she understands that the love she received from her family can spread out through her actions to influence and change other people for the better.

Fiona has shown wisdom beyond her years. The story is a page turner, well paced and cleverly told. I felt anxiety for the family, empathy for Mary, sorrow for the famine victims but joy at the conclusion. I am looking forward to Fiona's future works. Dr Evleen Mann

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Better than Gold (Emu Ink Fiction) (Kindle Edition)
I will recommend this book to my friends. It was very well written and a good story. It took me back in time and made me feel for the characters. I wasn't aware of how hard life was for the people of Ireland. An eye opener!

Better than Gold (Emu Ink Fiction)
3.53