4.0 out of 5 stars Coffee Mate
Published 5 months ago by Sam Tyler

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
First, I have to confess I'm a De'Longhi girl through and through; I love their coffee machines, but I'm always happy to try out a rival and was keen to test drive the VonShef. It's certainly simple to use but alas, is nowhere near as good as my regular machine.
Published 6 months ago by Book Critic

4.0 out of 5 stars Coffee Mate, 11 Aug. 2014
This review is from: VonShef Espresso and Cappuccino Coffee Maker Machine, 1 Litre, Black (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Growing up in my house coffee was just coffee; a spoonful of instant, boiling water and away you go. However, as the coffee shops have advanced so has the home technology. If you want a coffee machine you have to know what type. If you are looking for a long Americano style coffee then then ‘VonShef Espresso’ is not for you, as it may state that it also does Cappuccino, but this is an Espresso machine at heart and should be treated as such.

Using the ‘VonShef Espresso’ is easy and is a miniature version of the machines that you see in most coffee houses. However, whilst those units are thousands of pounds each and look it, the ‘VonShef’ is a more affordable brand and suffers a little for it. It comes in a fetching black that looks good, but does feel a little plastically. Thankfully, the actual coffee making process works well and brewed a cup that was hot enough for my tastes.

If you compare the coffee you make with this device and that from a coffee shop it will unlikely match up. There is a slight lack of quality that means the coffee does not tastes quite as strong as it should, especially for an Espresso. However, at the price range it is a good buy, giving the kick you need in the morning for a price that is affordable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 24 July 2014
Book Critic (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My main complaint is that it feels cheap: it's seems fragile; its detachable parts feel like they will break very easily. I could forgive it its faults if it made a great cup of coffee, but I'm sorry to say it doesn't - the coffee I brewed is acceptable enough, but it lacks that thick, creamy richness I want from an espresso. The steamer attachment - not something I use very often, but if it's there, it's nice to use it occasionally - is equally ineffective; it just doesn't froth the milk well, or heat it properly. The whole machine feel underpowered; lacking in pressure - a common enough complaint at the cheaper end of the market, but I have a De'Longhi espresso maker I bought for not a whole lot more, that makes a really good cup of coffee. Sadly, I have to say that there are MUCH better machines on the market in this price range that do a far better job, and consequently, cannot really recommend this machine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a match for the market leader, 19 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has to be compared to the de Lomgi market leader - often available at around the same price. The Vonshef has considerable presence but feels cheaply made. It has no tamper to compress the coffee. The water reservoir is small and made from brittle plastic. Ther filter is screwed together making it difficult to clean. Espesso Coffee made with it lacks crema and flavour (despite using Lavazza espresso -probably the best coffee for these machines,illly is too finely ground). The steamer is poor - heating skimmed milk without frothing it effectively. Cannot recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Close, but no cigar, 16 Aug. 2014
Miss "crazyminx" (Coventry) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Gone are the days when consumers would be awed by the idea that a machine at this price could possibly produce drinkable coffee. Now there are a large amount of machines in this price bracket, including ones such as Jack Stonehouse 15 bar Espresso and Cappuccino Coffee Maker Machine or the Delonghi EC152 Pump Espresso Coffee Machine (more expensive currently, but it was selling at a comparable price when I purchased it). These are stellar machines that deliver great coffee, and this VonShef offering doesn't quite match up.

This machine looks pretty good for the price - it's stylish with a cute retro appearance, and would look good in most kitchens. It is admittedly more attractive than my Delonghi, even if it seems a bit plasticky! However, whilst it will provide you with a cup of espresso, the overall performance lets it down.

It's easy enough to use, and it does have some nice features. The detachable water tank is convenient, and the warming plate for your cups is a cute touch, although probably unnecessary. However, the coffee is a little weak and is slow to be dispensed. The milk frother doesn't froth much, and the end result is disappointing. The machine just seems to need more power. It'll do the job, but there are better out there.

2.0 out of 5 stars ok..but not for me., 6 July 2014
this machine is good value but I had a few issues with it, the coffee was fine until a week later then it started dripping out and no froth on top of the espresso, the frothing mechanism ran out of recharge after 1 coffee was prepared so i had to wait for it to recharge again.
for some reason my machine which I think was faulty was just leaking out coffee and made a huge mess.
when the machine was switched on and not in use the steam just came out and made noise.

The good things about this machine was the heating panel for the cups which warmed up the cups nicely,
easy to clean
easy to use

negaitives

Recharge takes a while
Coffee comes out in drips

I have returned my machine now I am looking for another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Nov. 2014
Best ever, I have had six coffee maker in the last year and this is the best so fair"

1.0 out of 5 stars Very noisy water does not always flow correctly and it leaks I would not recommend., 27 Dec. 2014
not impressed this is quite inferior to other makes I have used. Very noisy water does not always flow correctly and it leaks
I would not recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars sometimes good sometimes not so good, 14 Dec. 2014
sometimes good sometimes not so good.I get a froth only sometimes and the wand is useless.I had a De longhi before and it was si much better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, I was expecting a stronger steamer but I ..., 6 Oct. 2014
Very good,I was expecting a stronger steamer but I am happy with it anyway

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Jan. 2015
works very well and customer satisfaction beyond expectations