5.0 out of 5 stars Just love these headphones
Beats headphones seem to attract polarised views. Some people love them; some people hate them.

Published 21 days ago by J. Conry

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't feel the "Beat!
I received these 'Beats by Dr.Dre Solo2' headphones today and sent them back.

Published 7 days ago by B. Scarr

5.0 out of 5 stars Just love these headphones, 5 Nov 2014
J. Conry (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beats by Dr. Dre Solo2 On-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)

I have used many different makes and types of headphones over the years. Nearly all of them seem to have some type of drawback - don't fit in my ears securely; uncomfortable; flimsy cable that tangles; poor bass response; harsh sound that jars after a while; fiddly controls; etc.

For me, these Beats headphones are simply the best I have ever used. From the moment you see the box, you get a high expectation that inside is a quality product. And there is. The headphones are inside a soft carry case. Some people have said they would prefer a hard case. I find the soft case is just fine. The headphones unfold with a satisfying 'click'. There is plenty of adjustment for different size heads. The cable is colour coordinated with the headphones, which is a nice touch. It is thicker than many other headphones so it is less likely to get all tangled up. It is a very decent length. It plugs into both the audio device and the headphones themselves with 3.5mm jack connectors. So the cable can be easily replaced if it breaks.

They are on (not over) ear. Other headphones of this type can push hard on the ears and become uncomfortable after a while. These headphones are really comfortable. The ear pads are very soft and grip with enough pressure to keep them securely in place but not so much as to be uncomfortable. I find that after a while I almost forget I have them on.

The sound quality is fantastic. You get a rich, full sound with a very solid but not overpowering bass. Some people say that they have heard new things in familiar songs when using these headphones. I have always been sceptical about this. Well I am wrong. Some familiar songs seem to have a new fresh feel and I am hearing things I have never heard before. This has really surprised me.

The in line control is a decent size and has a nice feel. It is very easy to use and you don't have to move your fingers around to make sure you are pressing the right button.

These headphones are not cheap but then I believe you get what you pay for. You are getting a high quality product with great sound and a comfortable fit. Just go and buy a pair, sit back and enjoy the music!

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't feel the "Beat!, 19 Nov 2014
B. Scarr (England) - See all my reviews
I received these 'Beats by Dr.Dre Solo2' headphones today and sent them back.

These are the best looking headphones I've ever seen, very stylish, sophisticated and high-tech looking. I was aware that Beats headphones are very much sonically built with a "Bass" sound. I tried a pair on in the Apple Store a few days ago, and thought that sounded good. But I still knew I was taking a risk buying them, because of the "Base" sound of the headphones.

When I received them this morning, I was highly impressed with the overall aesthetic look of the headphones. But as soon as I tried them on to listen to music on my 3 different Apple devices I was extremely disappointed. The sound is too quite and muffled for my liking, very cheap sounding. I like to be able to feel the music I listen to, and I can't feel the beat of the music I listen to with these 'Solo2' headphones.

I normally pay no more than around £10 for headphones, because I find the more expensive headphones are the quiter they are and the less I can feel the music I'm listening to, and that is the case with these headphones.

A lot of people obviously love these 'Solo2' headphones, so it's all done to preference. I don't and don't like too much 'Bass'. And if anyone is like me and likes a real loud 'Tin' sound where the music goes "POP" and really "ROCKS", then I wouldn't buy these 'Solo2" headphones and would ironically stick to a cheap £10 pair of headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats Solo2 On-Ear Stereo Headphone review by Dale (update 13.11.2014), 7 Sep 2014
Dale Thorn (Seal Beach CA) - See all my reviews
Sources: iPhone5 with Portaphile Micro/PA2V2/Decware Zen Head amps using the LOD, various computers using Microstreamer/Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza DAC/amps.

Review notes: My first impressions of the sound of the Solo2 are based on direct comparisons to other headphones - the Marley Liberate XL, the Soundmagic HP150, the v-moda M100 and XS, the AKG K812 and K712, and notes that I've accumulated from many prior reviews. I describe how I relate to the Solo2 (i.e. my personal tastes and how I use the headphone) only after covering all of the objective issues.

Summary of sound: The Solo2 has a small upper-bass emphasis that most users will appreciate for the extra warmth, but it can also make the lower bass seem less strong by comparison, so if a user were going to boost the bass, I'd recommend a progressive control that can increase the lower bass without adding to the upper bass. Nothing to say here about the Solo2 midrange - clean, detailed, and free of colorations. The treble from ~2.2 khz and up is nearly as smooth and 'flat' as water on a plate, and only the 6-8 db emphasis around 1.5 khz adds a sense of forwardness or emphasis to voices and certain instrument fundamentals. The Beats Solo (original version) and to a lesser extent other lower-priced Beats models had an unenviable reputation in audiophile circles, as they apparently weren't designed for those markets, being more of a portable headphone than a primary listening device for home-based audio systems. Given that the Solo2 costs only $200 USD and sounds this good, audiophiles may want to take note.

Soundstage is tricky to describe since it's dependent to a large extent on the amount and quality of treble that the headphone presents, not to mention the recording itself. I'll just say that the Solo2 can sound amazingly good in that respect, depending on where you find your ideal treble balance. One very demanding track I use in evaluating a headphone is David Chesky and Wonjung Kim's "Girl From Guatemala", and the strong treble percussion starting at 3 minutes in is delineated very well by the Solo2. Another track that's a stress test for treble is 'Time' from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, and the Solo2 plays that very cleanly too. My other comments about treble, bass, and midrange detail can be found in the sample music tracks listed below.

The Solo2 is on-ear and closed-back, but unlike a lot of on-ear headphones in the $100's to $200's range, the comfort is superb - I can literally wear it for hours of listening with no issues. Isolation is above average for closed-back headphones - at least the on-ear types. Some leakage is evident, so if using the Solo2 in a quiet office or public library etc., the volume would have to be kept to a moderate level. I wear the Solo2 at two click-stops from minimum on my average-size head, which allows a 1/4-inch smaller adjustment on each side for smaller heads. The headband adjustment goes one inch larger on each side from where I wear it, so that should accomodate most larger head sizes. The earpads are really deluxe - soft and very squishy, which should conform well to most ears. The headband has some padding, but not like the earcups. I'd suggest for anyone who doesn't like to feel headband pressure on top of their head, to pull the earcups down slightly more and let them carry more of the weight.

The Solo2's exterior parts are mainly plastic, and being rather polished and shiny, it may show fingerprints etc. depending on the headphone color. Mine is black, and I see prints only when I look close-up. The headband internals are metal of course and there may be metal in the earcups too, but I can't tell, so that's a good indication when the quality is such that I don't know if certain parts are metal or plastic. The single-sided (left side) detachable cable has the extra conductor (Apple-type) on both ends, and I tried to substitute some generic cables with standard miniplugs, but most of them don't fit into the earcup since the sleeves behind the metal plugs are too thick. I did find one generic cable with standard miniplugs that worked - a flat cable that came with a small portable speaker I think - so a substitute cable is possible in an emergency. The Solo2 is efficient enough to be used with any music player or system that I know of, but a good headphone amp is also recommended.

The comments in the music tracks listed below can be compared to other headphone reviews I've done, to get an idea of how the Solo2 plays the different music tracks listed here compared to other headphones. My suggestion is instead of reading each comment below as an absolute unto itself, you could compare these notes to other reviews as they get posted, and see how the Solo2 compares with each individual track.

Animotion - Obsession (1980's New Wave/Techno): The upper bass synth has excellent detail and tone, and both male and female vocals sound natural without favoring either. The Solo2 plays this extremely well.

Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead (~1980): Strong midrange sound effects - this is a good worst-case test for resonant-type sounds in the most sensitive midrange area. Handled very well by the Solo2.

Beethoven Symphony 9, Solti/CSO (1972): Excellent overall sound. Of special note here are the bass impacts beginning around 10:30 of the fourth movement. Those impacts are soft and well in the background, but you can feel some of the weight they carry with the Solo2.

Black Sabbath - Iron Man (Classic Rock): Very good instrumental detail and the vocal sounds very natural. As with most classic rock tracks, there is very little or no deep bass. The Solo2 plays this music smoothly, and the lack of deep bass doesn't unbalance the treble.

Boz Scaggs - Lowdown (1976): Good sound quality - this is a great test for any nasality in the midrange. Handled extremely well by the Solo2.

Cantus - Danny Boy (Traditional/Male Choral/Acapella): The Solo2 plays the voices with enough low end warmth and weight to sound very natural, yet there is no added emphasis of the lower register of the male voices on this track.

Cath Carroll - Moves Like You (1980's New Wave/Techno): This track's percussion and voice are crisp and well-balanced, and there's a good sense of space or soundstage around the voices and instruments. The Solo2 reproduces the space and detail beautifully.

Catherine Wheel - Black Metallic (~1991): Goth with industrial overtones - I like this since it's a great music composition and the sound effects are smoothly integrated into the mix. This may sound distorted or mushy with some headphones, but the Solo2 renders the deliberate instrumental distortions clearly.

Chris Isaak - Wicked Game (Pop/Rock): The Solo2 plays this high treble energy recording very smoothly - the voice and instruments are very detailed but not edgy - very musical in fact.

Chromatics - I'm On Fire (Synth-Pop, female lead): This track has a good amount of space around the voice and instruments, making for a very pleasant stereo image. The voice is excellent and the tambourine sound is realistic.

David Hazeltine - Fur Elise (Jazz): A very high-quality recording from HDTracks. The Solo2 reproduces the instruments smoothly with a spacious ambiance. The wire-brush-on-cymbal harmonics are extended and detailed, but the frequencies above 11-12 khz may not have the full upper-harmonic effect you'd get with the larger more expensive audiophile headphones.

Grieg (Beecham-Royal Philharmonic) - Peer Gynt-Solveig's Lullaby (Classical): This very old (late 1950's) stereo recording must have been made on the most expensive gear in the world, since the overall sound quality and especially Ilse Hollweg's amazing voice are as close to "being there" as I've heard with some of the better classical recordings made since the year 2000. The Solo2 plays this music perfectly.

Hans Zimmer - Dark Knight-Aggressive Expansion (Soundtrack): The percussion in this track hits really hard, and the bass tones beginning around 0:45 have the ultra-deep "shuddery" kind of sound and feel that indicates a good deep-bass response. Overall, the Solo2 plays this music very well.

Heaven 17 - Let Me Go (1980's New Wave/Techno): The bass instrument (guitar?) has excellent detail, and the voices and ambiance have a "you are there" quality that's uncommon in early 1980's pop music. The Solo2 plays this track perfectly.

Hugo Audiophile - 15-16 (Electronic): I'm not sure what the 15-16 stands for - perhaps track numbers from a CD album. The deep-bass tones that start around 33-34 seconds into the track reproduce very well with the Solo2. This is a great recording for evaluating whether a headphone's bass will be sufficient for most environments, since for many headphones that have a weaker bass, the deep bass gets absorbed and mostly lost when the environment contains a lot of low-frequency energy.

Jimmy Smith - Basin Street Blues (early 60's): This track has several loud crescendos of brass and other instruments that don't sound clean and musical with some headphones. The Solo2 provides excellent detail. Listen particularly to the second crescendo at 15 seconds in for maximum detail effect. I'd like to emphasize that these crescendos are probably the worst-case test I have for instrument separation and detail, and the Solo2 does those extremely well.

Kellogg Auditorium, Battle Creek Michigan, Aeolian-Skinner Organ (1933) - Pedal, 32', Resultant, Arpeggio: This 16 hz organ pedal tone differs from other music tones in that you won't "hear" the tone - you'll only feel it. Although most music tones have harmonics (including this one), the harmonics from this tone will be too weak to provide any "feel", so whatever you actually hear would not be part of the fundamental 16 hz tone. There are ~30 hz sounds in the outdoor environment in big cities, generated by large trucks, buses, and subway trains, and they have a quality of "rumble" that's similar to some deep-bass tones found in music. This 16 hz organ tone is easily distinguished from those sounds when compared on a headphone that has good undistorted response at 16 hz. The Solo2 plays this quite well - you can almost hear/feel the individual 16 cycle per second "beats" of the fundamental tone.

Mantovani - Sunrise Sunset (Easy Listening, ca. 1972): A master musician and conductor who specialized in light classics and orchestral pop music, Mantovani's accomplishments were overshadowed by music critics who couldn't tolerate the notion of "light classics" or "semi-classical" music, even when those recordings were no threat to the classical music genres. In any case the later Mantovani recordings from the mid-1960's through mid-1970's had the advantage of being mixed for much better hi-fi systems than those which the music critics possessed at the start of the Long Playing (LP) record cycle. Here in 2014, at least some of those digital remasters have improved the sound further, although it's not always the case. This track as played on the Solo2 is a perfect example of the sheer musicality lurking in those later recordings, and is highly recommended for soundstage, instrumental tone, and musical balance.

Michael Tilson Thomas - Rhapsody In Blue (20th Century Classic): Great sound and soundstage, and terrific piano playing and tone. There are some very deep bass impacts starting around 38 seconds into the 17:24 length track, and the weight of those impacts is subtle but impressive with the Solo2.

Pinback - Non Photo Blue (Pop-Rock): Crispy sound with "crunchy guitars and bashing drums" - the Solo2 renders this music as perfectly as I've heard an energetic pop-rock recording played with any headphone.

Porcupine Tree - Trains (Pop-Rock): This track opens with some nicely-detailed string sounds and a forward-sounding male voice with a higher-than-average register. There are a series of "clip-clop" effects starting at 3:19 that should sound like they were made with wooden blocks of some kind. The Solo2 reproduces part of that sound effect, but the 'clop' portion is subdued.

Richard Strauss (Mester-Pasadena) - Also Sprach Zarathustra (opening) (Classical): The granddaddy of bass is in the opening 1:50 of this recording, and I've heard it only once on a large and expensive loudspeaker system in Cleveland. For most people, that experience would be indistinguishable from being in a fairly strong earthquake. The Solo2 conveys as much of that experience as is possible on a typical full-size headphone. The tympani also have good impact here.

Scarlatti-Kipnis - Sonata in E Major K381 (Classical, Harpsichord): The harpsichord here is fairly bright and highly detailed, and the Solo2 renders the tones and transients perfectly.

Tiger Okoshi - Bootsman's Little House (Jazz): The trumpet here is recorded fairly close up and is somewhat bright with a significant "bite". The Solo2's reproduction is near-perfect, and the close-miked piano is also a treat. For comparison, I have several Maynard Ferguson tracks that feature a similarly strong trumpet with lots of brassy bite.

Trombone Shorty - Backatown (Jazz-Funk): The deep bass impacts here are very strong and work extremely well with the horns and other instruments. The Solo2 delivers the impacts with great weight and detail, and the horns have the kind of bite that gives them a wonderfully realistic sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 8 Aug 2014
I spent a long time looking at various pairs of headphones and finally setted on these - despite the Beats bashers saying they're only for people who care about style over substance. Well, now I own a pair, I can safely say those people are wrong.

Yes - they are a good looking pair of headphones. I got comments on them in the office on the first day I bought them. And I've continued to get comments and questions about them after that. The shiny headband will attract fingerprints of course, but they're only really noticeable if you look closely anyway. The build quality is fantastic. The hinges lock solidly, the band adjusts well and doesn't pinch. I can wear these for long periods with no issue. The foam earcups are very comforable and the leatherette finish is lovely. The cable is thick, the L shaped connector is a nice touch and is well built, and I find the remote works well, and because it's a bit bigger, it's easier to change volume/play/pause than with some headphones.

When it comes to the audio, let me start with things that some people might not enjoy about the Beats. They do leak a little bit of sound, when they're at full pelt. Nothing major, but it might annoy a fellow train passenger if you're at full volume. Isolation is very good though - you won't hear that much of the outside world.

The soundstage is not flat. The headphones do bring out the bass without question, but it is NOT overwhelming, and the sound as a whole is pretty well balanced. You can hear highs and mids without trouble -- I've certainly heard parts of songs I didn't know existed before! It's a vast improvement on my pair of in-ear earphones, which I'd previously thought were pretty good.

If like me, you've been debating about getting a pair of these for a while, just take the plunge. The only thing you'll regret is you didn't get them before now!

5.0 out of 5 stars For your listening pleasure, get this!, 10 July 2014
First class item, a tad expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for and this item is really very good. Great quality with adjustable size head-band, the sound quality is excellent and very comfortable to wear, not too light.

5.0 out of 5 stars much improved beats from the last ones, 15 Jun 2014
very good headphones excellent sound i cant believe some people are saying there rubbish (as good as a cheap pair £10 headphones) what are they listening too!! okay a bit pricey but they look good and as i said excellent sound. dont get put off by negative reviews on these solo beats 2 some people really dont have a clue.

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDING, 19 Nov 2014
These headphones are amazing dont listen to the negative comments clearly they have no clue!
They may be a little pricy but u only get for what u pay for!

DEFINETLY BUY THIS ITEM ITS WELL WORTH IT

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as I thought., 25 Nov 2014
Awesome headphones. I was really hesitant about getting these headphones. I've never payed over 50 quid for a pair before and didn't know if the price justified paying that type of money. But from the moment you get them, they're so worth it. I listen to a multitude of music, from heavy metal to rap, EDM to classical - a little bit of everything! Safe to say, these headphones do well with everything I listen to. Especially the bass heavy type of music.

I use these at home when I'm browsing the internet, in the gym, in college and just about everywhere else. People like to hate on these headphones, and I'm not entirely sure why. Buy yourself a pair, you won't regret it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth £70, never mind £170, 26 Oct 2014
Really dissapointed with these.

Had them less then twenty minutes and I'm going to return them. I found they're as average as £50 ones, and definitely don't live up to the beats reputation. For £170 your expecting high end headphones, what you get is instead £50 headphones with the beats name. In other words, your paying for the name not the product itself.

Returning them and maybe buying the Studios (which I have heard before and are incredible - for me the item that made the beats name.)

In conclusion go big or go home, no too dissimilar to the orginal (and again average) £100 Solo's, not worth near it's piece tag. If you want to get decent headphones (which these are) go for a name like Sony. If you want to actually know why beats are the brand they are then get the Studios. However the headphones themselves are okay, they're just not worth near it's price tag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Beat(s), 19 Jun 2014
If it's neon, I'll buy it. If it's neon and pink? I've already bought it.

I first saw the Solo2 Headphones in an Amazon email and was instantly drawn to them. I debated buying them as they are obviously a more premium headphone brand but after tiring of my SMS Over-Ear Headphones giving me headaches from the weight of them, I thought I'd take a risk.

On arrival, the headphones look as premium as you would hope. High quality packaging safely encloses the headphones, matching wire, carry pouch and carabineer.

First impressions of the headphones were very positive: smooth, sexy, sleek... And of course, bright pink! They are a gorgeous colour with a silver "b" on each earcup that even looks a little bit sparkly (cute - as Dre would have most definitely hoped for). The matching wire looks great, too. With an in-line mic, these worked perfectly with my iPhone, so no complaints there. A high shine finish and loud colour choice makes these headphones far from subtle but they are streamlined and sit neatly over-ear, unlike other OE headphones that can engulf a smaller head.

The headphones feel very comfortable, with the padded headband and ear cushions and they don't push into my head like my SMS Headphones, which is a definite plus. Over-ear headphones can naturally make your ears hot, but even with extended playtimes, I haven't found the Solo2s to cause discomfort. Due to the plastic construction instead of metal, they are light but do not feel cheap; unlike the old Solo HDs that felt "clackety" (for want of a better word!).

With regards to sound quality, the headphones also speak volumes. Using my headphones primarily with my iPhone 5, when the volume is only half way, they sound good and pick up on parts of songs that I haven't heard before. However, I could hear other people around me with the volume at "half mast", so I would say that noise cancellation would improve these headphones. As for sound leakage, I had no complaints from people around me. I even tested them and asked a colleague if they could hear my music and only when the volume was at 90% did they say it was "annoyingly" audible.

Overall, I am very happy with my new Solo2 Headphones. The colour is eye-catching; the build quality is high and (in my eyes / ears) they definitely go beyond the normal "fashion accessory" demonization which Beats is often labelled with.

Beats by Dr. Dre Solo2 On-Ear Headphones - Black