5.0 out of 5 stars Now I know why Elmo is so popular
Published on 12 Jan. 2004 by Daniel Jolley

2.0 out of 5 stars Take care - may teach your young toddler the wrong message!
We bought this on the basis of other good reviews, and it's a well-made movie. Our toddler of nearly two did love it (though the adults watching with him found the shrill voices a bit much). It's well-intentioned and the idea is to teach the concept of sharing, with villainous Huxley who takes everything in sight but eventually gets his comeuppance. Unfortunately though...
Published on 8 July 2010 by Bramblehead

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I know why Elmo is so popular, 12 Jan. 2004
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Never let it be said that I've forgotten the way to Sesame Street. It had been quite a while since my last visit, but it was great to see all of the familiar faces again: Bert & Ernie, The Count, Grover, Oscar, Big Bird, etc. I was rather surprised to see that some of the human actors I remember are still Sesame Street regulars, as well. Then there's Elmo. Up until now, I only knew Elmo from all the commercials for Elmo-related products, so it was good to finally see just what all the fuss has been about. He's a cool little monster, and it's easy to see how he has become so popular with the youngsters; I especially love the way he always refers to himself in the third person. I also was gratified to find out just what lies inside and beneath Oscar's garbage can after all these years. Throw in some music and dancing as well as a couple of notable guest appearances, and you've got yourself a movie I really enjoyed.
Elmo really loves his blanket, and he could never bear to part with it. He loves it so much that he doesn't want to share it, even for a few minutes, with one of his little friends. About this time, a series of humorous mishaps occur to land Blanket (it's essentially a character rather than an object) inside Oscar's garbage can. Elmo dives it to get it, only to be transported (along with Blanket) to Grouchland. This is a strange new world for Elmo, a place where you aren't supposed to ask for help or be kind to others. Elmo's beloved blanket ends up in the hands of the mean and greedy Huxley (Mandy Patinkin), a man who lives by the creed "Whatever I touch is mine." In order to get to Huxley's house and reclaim what is his, Elmo must overcome a number of challenges placed in his way and must even pass the ultimate challenge of the Queen of Garbage (Vanessa Williams). There is of course a message to the whole story, with children (and adults) seeing why it is important to share what you have rather than be greedy.
I'm not sure I would have wanted to see The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland at the theatre, but youngsters would surely have loved such an experience. Elmo asks the audience for help on several occasions, so parents should be prepared for having their kids yell out helpful words and sounds from time to time (FYI - I wouldn't recommend sitting directly in front of your children during the Queen of Trash sequence). Parents also shouldn't worry too much about children becoming too upset over Elmo's misfortunes. Whenever things start to look bad, Bert comes out and has the movie stopped and Ernie explains to him that there's still time for a happy ending.
I have to say I really loved this movie. It is funny, the musical scenes are quite good, and I can't get enough of seeing Elmo getting down with his bad self. This movie has everything that makes Sesame Street so great, and now I'm wishing I would have bought the DVD instead of just renting it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Children Cannot get enough of this movie!!, 16 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
If my own 2 year old Daughter was this films critic, She would give it 11 out of 10. This is a movie that has definite value for money. The music, dialog, and general concept is of a nature that can keep young children enthralled for hours, and have them keep coming back to watch it again. On top of all that, a parent can sit down with the kids and watch and enjoy this as much as the kids do. I would recomend Elmo's adventures in Grouchland to anyone with young children.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE Elmo!, 8 Mar. 2010
G. Read "fangtasia" (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
My Daughter LOVES Elmo, I may go as far as saying Elmo obsessed! When she wakes up she asks to watch Elmo (she is only 23 months old!), and I have been in front of the seseme street website for ages watching the same clips over and over, so I thought it was time to buy this film! We had already watched it, but it is a 'keeper'! Seseme street I feel still is a higher calabre of childrens programmes than those of today, teaching manners,respect,alphabetical and numerical skills. This film is just so lovely, great for young and old,very entertaining and heartwarming. Most importantly of them all, my daughter watched this movie for 70 minutes without moving! Elmo/Seseme street fans must buy.Fumbs up for Jim Hensons creature shop again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody Great, 28 Feb. 2001
Well my 2 year old son was glued to the screen and so was his mother (who's 35 years old) both laughed all the way through.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves this, 31 Dec. 2006
I'm not sure why as it certainly dons't appeal to me but my son - just turned two - will sit and watch this constantly if you let him!

He finds it hilarious - he also has a blanket like Elmo and has taken to kissing it 'like Elmo' and can recite most of what Elmo says.

He had never watched Elmo before this but it still appeals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Dec. 2012
My daughter loves this film. Perfect to keep her quiet for a while so I can get on with the cleaning!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works every time, 13 Aug. 2012
I bought this after showing my 6 month old son Elmo on the internet and after seeing his delighted reaction I was quick to buy this film with the hopes of keeping him entertained for any length of time. Works brilliantly!
When the film first started my little lad was quickly smiling and giggling as Elmo was talking to him. This is the only thing he has ever payed any attention to which i'm more than happy about because it lets me get on with one or two jobs that i'd struggle to do otherwise. I'm not normally a big fan of putting such small children infront of a TV as a distraction but the way Elmo talks to the kids and the innocents of the whole thing has relaxed my views somewhat.

Catchy songs and a good story line. Something that I enjoy watching with my baby also. Very impressed with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Melmo!, 8 Dec. 2010
My son is 18 months old and he loves this film. As soon as he walks into the living room he asks for 'Melmo' over and over again until I finally give in and put it on. As a result I have seen it dozens of times, but I actually don't mind as it is a great film. The story is sweet, funny and heartwarming and moves along quickly enough to keep little ones interested. The songs are catchy and it has all the old favourite sesame street characters making an appearance. I love the way the characters talk to the audience - I think this really draws kids into the film. If you want a film that will keep your kids occupied without driving you insane then this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter insisted I bought this on dvd as her ..., 26 Nov. 2013
My daughter insisted I bought this on dvd as her old video from 10 years ago was redundant, it's exactly as she remembers as she sits and watches it with her baby brother.

4.0 out of 5 stars elmo in grouchland, 4 Dec. 2012
im not too keen on this movie. although it makes elmo look at his actions to zoey it also makes him out to be a bad guy when he acted like any other child would

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›