4.0 out of 5 stars Fond of the old one so had to buy another one
Published 8 months ago by Techno

I have used this remote for a month - just a bit irked that within weeks of buying it - it is now listed as discontinued! The 300i seems to be its replacement (but I could be wrong) as it looks identical.

Published 3 months ago by Mr. P

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Fond of the old one so had to buy another one, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Logitech Harmony 350 Control (discontinued by manufacturer) (Accessory)
I bought this 350 to replace my 300 which gave up just a few days ago. I looked at my Amazon history and my 300 lasted 2.5 years, which seems a bit disappointing, but it did fall off the furniture a few times so I can't rule out that I shortened its life with rough treatment. I did try all the suggestions on the Logitech website but nothing would bring the 300 back to life.

I did not hesitate much to buy another one. I got attached to the 300 quickly and was lost without it. The 300 is no longer available so I bought this 350 which is about the same price if you buy it from the right seller. The difference is that this controls eight devices rather then four (to access the extra four devices you hold the device buttons down for longer).

For the uninitiated, you connect this remote to your computer using the supplied USB lead. You visit the Logitech website and download a piece of software which you then use to assign the commands from your existing remote to the buttons on the 350. Often, this is done automatically, but sometimes you do have to do it manually by "teaching" the remote. This involves lining up the 350 with your existing remote and pressing the right buttons. The software then synchronises the settings with the 350 through the USB cable. The "Watch TV" button can be set to turn all your appliances on and off at the same time which is very handy.

I had heard that you can import the settings from previous remotes. This option was offered when I first started the program and it seems to have worked fine so far which is a relief because it took me so long to get it right last time and I wasn't looking forward to having to do it all again. UPDATE: I have now discovered that some functions did not import. Not so bad and easy to fix, but the volume control for the TV, which the software allows me to assign to my hi-fi, is not working at all and I can't get it to work. Not the end of the world, but it doesn't function as it should so I'm downrating this to four stars.

My major gripe about the 300 was the loose battery compartment and loose battery cover. The compartment on the 350 still seems to be a bit loose, I might get round that by using some fatter batteries I have (Ex-Pro® Power Plus+ Rechargeable Ni-Mh Batteries - AA Size [2900mAh] - 4 Pack). Otherwise I will stick a bit of bubblewrap in like I did last time. The problem with the cover seems to have been addressed, this is much tighter now.

What I would still like to see is a piece of software that stores the remote settings in a file locally on your computer and which doesn't require you to be connected to the internet but you can't have everything I suppose.

I am going to try and treat this one better and hope it lasts a bit longer than the last one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb funcionality for the money, 18 Oct. 2014
Bob K "Bob" (Europe) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I bought this as a replacement for an under 3 year old Harmony 300i which was suffering from the usual remote control fault - non responsive buttons. But I suppose using it to control multiple devices means some buttons get pressed much more frequently.

It is a shame manufacturers do not make replacement button sheets or conductive paint available - pretty obvious why they do not of course.

Gripe out of the way,
This is a superb combination remote. Easy to set up with the My Harmony software. I automatically imported most of the settings from my 300i.

The one press "Watch TV" button set-up is almost automatic - you only have to choose which devices it bulk switches on / off.

I guess the fact I bought another one sums up my review, I gave only 4 star because of the relatively short longevity - but how long should you expect one to last?

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for most devices except HTPC's - even better if you have all the original remotes!, 30 Dec. 2014

It has been programmed to control a TV, freesat box, stereo amp with separate CD player with no problems. It has most functions pre-programmed but I had to use the original remote to fine-tune the 350 (eg with my freesat box it did not have a pre-programmed button for the PVR library). It also has sufficient extra buttons for customisation that enable me to control my amp volume separately from my TV volume.

However my biggest disappoint is that I purchased the Harmony 350 to also operate my new HTPC. What a failure. I had a flirc card installed in my HTPC, my logic being that HTPC with Windows Media Centre has been around long enough that I could just add WMC functions to the 350 and away I go.

I can get limited navigation functions set-up on the Harmony. However, the play/pause/FF/RW buttons etc all don't work, neither does the home button/power button etc. I deliberately bought the HTPC with a flirc receiver (I decided against the in-built IR card with media remote as I did not want to buy the remote and then not use it).

The Harmony 350 has limited "selection" options in the set-up stage - if I select WMC as the manufacturer, the harmony software won't work as is requests the hardware manufacture of the IR card. If I select "Flirc" as the hardware manufacture then there is no option to select WMC as the software option - hence the remote won't have the correct set-up as WMC remote.

I reckon my only recourse (currently using a keyboard to control my HTPC) is to buy a WMC remote solely to pre-program my Harmony 350. I reckon I will be left with an external IR receiver dangling out of my HTPC - leaving the in-built Flirc receiver redundant.

I feel that Logitech does not really give support for HTPC usage with a Harmony remote - it is quite common knowledge that with any PC, there are multiple hardware and software providers.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and straightforward device for getting rid of all those individual remotes, 13 Oct. 2014
I was a bit doubtful about my abilities to program this device - but it is very simple to do. Programming was achieved very quickly and simply on my laptop computer. Of course, for some devices, you may have to assign a spare button with an incorrect label to carry out a required function. For example, there was no assigned button for bringing up my Humax Foxsat menu for previously recorded programmes. Fortunately, there were unassigned buttons that could be brought into use. I used the unused button labelled 'Live'. Besides removing the need for multiple remote controls, I like the fact that you can get it to switch on several devices at the same time by pressing the 'Watch TV' button - e.g. TV, sound bar and Foxsat HDR. The Foxsat HDR remote was always temperamental and the ok button needed to be pressed more than once – this one achieves things first time. You can very quickly add additional functionality without repeating the set up from scratch, so there is no need to worry about having missed out some functionality during the initial set up. However, for most devices, all the required buttons you need are automatically assigned. One thing to watch is the need, when pressing the 'Watch TV' button, to keep pointing the remote until all the button lights have gone out. This can take a few seconds. If not done, this can temporarily scramble the setting and you may need to press individual buttons to get things back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 10 Feb. 2015
We have had this one for about 3-5 years, and recently purchased the same one as a Christmas present by request. It is simple to programme and performs flawlessly. Sometimes I think that remotes can be unnecessarily complex - this one is very intuitive.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too limited to carry the the Harmony badge, 1 Jan. 2015
It is a well build piece of equipment and it successfully replaces a few of my remotes.
However, the bundled software limits it too much (*) and is a constant source of frustration (**).

(*) I accept the fact that there is only one activity. I really don't need more. But the inability to assign actions from different devices (I'd like to send the volume commands to my Amp, picture related commands (exp. aspect ratio) to the TV and the rest to the media player) is a bit too much. In fact it ruins the whole idea of Harmony remote.

(**) Logitech really needs to work on the stability and speed of the MyHarmony application. There are days when it takes minutes to load (reminds me the old times of loading games from cassettes) and crashes far too often.

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Set Up, Terrible to Use, 12 Oct. 2014
The remote feel very cheap, not premium quality (but I guess you don't expect that for the price), the buttons aren't too responsive and often take a couple of pushes to activate. The software is good, and is very easy to set up and change button actions however my main gripe is that there is no way to select an input without pushing the individual button and as I use this remote in my cinema room in the dark, there is no way to see which input I am selecting (as it only lights up when I push it and my fingers covers it when I press it obviously). Also the "Watch TV" they are marketting doesnt work properly - you are supposed to be able to turn everything on with one push but there is a well known bug that means some sources dont work due to the remotes software restrictions so a bit misleading and defeats the object of the feature.

Overall if you want a basic easy to setup remote to replace your tv and sky remote, this is fine but if you want a bit a quality and some better quality of life options, spend a bit more money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well with all my separate entertainment units, 10 Feb. 2015
Works very well with all my separate entertainment units - Sony TV, Bose sound system, BTvision box, Humax PDR and Sony Blu ray.
Learning was easy to set up on line, with only a couple of commands needed to be learnt! very pleased!

2.0 out of 5 stars Can Only Set Up ONE Activity, 27 Jan. 2015
JnM (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
Pretty Disappointed. I guess I should have read more of the reviews. My main problem is that you can only set up ONE activity (i.e. watch TV) and I assumed it was like my previous remote which allowed me to set up various activities like "Watch Apple TV" or "Watch DVD" - which changed the TV input, switched on the APPLE TV (or DVD) and changed the HDMI switch etc. all with one button press
You can get the remote to control all your devices individually, so you can select HDMI Switch and change the input to the one your Apple TV is plugged into, and then Select your TV and make sure it's on the correct input AND then select your apple TV and switch it ON and then hurrah - you're away! Very fiddly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works brilliantly, 11 Nov. 2014
This was a replacement for another model which claimed to have a simple setup. I ignored this because of its web-based setup (you have to go to the Logitech site and input your devices and the site downloads everything to the remote via a USB cable). The setup isn't complicated just time consuming. Some buttons did not work correctly and had to be programmed individually and one device was not recognized at all. Luckily there were similar models with matching remotes that could be programmed into the Harmony. I have now been using it for 2 months and it looks and works brilliantly. I can fully recommend the Harmony.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›