on 17 May 2014
Did Wilkie Collins invent the detective novel? T.S. Eliot claimed that he did, not Edgar Allan Poe.

Collins' "sensation" novels were certainly gripping precursors of detective and suspense fiction. These eight are among the best of the 30 novels he published in the 1850s to 1880s. A Londoner born and bred, Collins was a lifelong friend of Charles Dickens (with whom he collaborated on plays and other fiction) and for a time outsold Dickens and was perhaps better known. After he died his reputation declined and he is far less well known today.

Given the quality and innovativeness of his work, his enthralling plots and his insightful analyses of social injustices of 19th Century Victorian England, it is good to see something of a revival in interest in him.

He is certainly well worth reading today and the current Kindle edition is a great place to start - its good formatting and excellent original illustrations make it a pleasure to read and an excellent introduction to the kind of innovative fiction that made Collins the very popular writer he was. I think you'll be delighted to have eight of his books at this bargain price!
on 16 May 2014
Great mysteries and suspense by a brilliant writer underappreciated. really nice to see the original illustrations and a good price for 8 books
on 5 June 2014
A bumper selection of Wilkie Collins stories all lovingly transcribed into this masterful Kindle volume. I heartily recommend this collection of the master of suspense and romance to all avid readers of fine literature.
on 19 May 2014
wilkie Collins is said to have invented the detective story, this all contains his best sensation novels, a good collection of wilkie Collins works for anyone
on 28 August 2014
I already knew his best known books, the Moonstone, The Woman in White and No Name. I am really enjoying reading his other works. He is less wordy than Dickens (who is my favourite writer) and probably is easier for the modern reader. Thoroughly recommend this collection.
on 26 June 2014
I have only read two of the books so far.I found the characters very detailed and the locations as well. but I thought the narrativs between people rather long and flowery. However overall I enjoy the books and will continue when I am on holiday .
on 7 January 2015
Wilkie Collins was the forerunner of the modern detective novels in his books The Moonstone and The Woman in White, the best known of his books. I have read and loved both and look forward to reading all of his novels in this kindle collection.
on 28 January 2016
Absolutely amazing value! I haven't read all of them yet but I have enjoyed those I have read. I can see why he is called the father of the modern detective story. Excellent reading.
on 8 August 2014
Willie Collins wrote several electrifying books - and they're all in this collection for under two pounds!!!
on 21 August 2014
a good collection of wilkie Collins books