5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I took this one home!
I work in a book shop and Sabriel grabbed my attention the second I saw it. However, I was a bit apprehensive as it was in the young adult section which also contains all the 'girly' books which, being 18 and hating them, aren't really my type. But I thought I'd give it a chance as there was quite a fuss about it.
I'm so glad I did! I just couldn't put this book...
Published on 28 Feb 2004 by Bex

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read!
Nice to be recommended a good book although I did find it slow going but the pec thankfully picked up!
Published 16 months ago by jwhezzy

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling., 17 Oct 2002
This review is from: Sabriel (Hardcover)
This book was wonderful. Garth Nix manages to create a world so magical that by the end of the book you're left wanting more.
We follow a young girl on the quest to find her Father who is missing. Not so bad you think until you realsie that he's stuck in the world of the dead and that to rescue him she will have to face difficulties not just in the dangerously magical place around her but within herself aswell.
It's a fast paced book from beginning to end and with such original ideas within it (bells to raise the dead!!) I can imagine children and adults of all ages being enchanted by it. It's definitely for fans of Phillip Pullman and JRR Tolkien.
Roll on part two, we're waiting with bated breath.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sabriel - the best new book in a long time, 5 Sep 2002
This review is from: Sabriel (Hardcover)
As soon as I saw the cover of Sabriel I was intrigued, and by the end of the prologue I was hooked. Lovers of JRR Tolkien, Philip Pullman, Lian Hearn and William Nicholson will love this book too.
Sabriel, the heroine has always known she wasn't like the other girls at Wyverley college, for a start she has journeyed into death. As soon as she realises there is something amiss, that her father Abhorsen is missing and possibly trapped in death, she knows that it is time to leave the safety of the college and the New Kingdom. Her journey takes her back into the Old Kingdom, where free magic is commonplace and the dead are returning in numbers too great for anyone but the Abhorsen to deal with...
Filled with truly original ideas and a plot which increases in intensitity right the way through the book, it is a story which will keep you transfixed, wrench your heart out and leave you gasping for more. I cannot wait for Lirael and Abhorsen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sabriel, 24 Oct 2005
Mrs Antoinette Keeble (Birkenhead, Wirral United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sabriel (Paperback)
I originally bought this book for my 10 year old son to read, because he got The Creature in the Case as a free book on World Book Day - which he liked and, as usual, with most books I buy, I like to read them first - just to make sure they're OK for my kids!! WELL! I couldn't put the book down - who said this was a kids book? I'm 34 and was disappointed when the book ended, because I was so engrossed in it - I've since read Lirael and Abhorsen and I've got The Keys to the Kingdom books lined up to read aswell!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sword and sorcery fantasy for teens and adults, 14 Sep 2002
This review is from: Sabriel (Hardcover)
I loved this book, can't believe no one else has reviewed it yet. Strong female teen heroine in the tradition of Robin Mckinley. Somewhat dark themes so aimed at older teens, I would say, but I'm an adult, and I liked it too. I gave it four stars; if you want to calibrate that, I would give five to The Golden Compass, A Wizard of Earthsea, and The Hero and the Crown. This comes close, but isn't quite in that league, however if you like those books I think you will like this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars In the beginning....., 23 Feb 2004
Shelagh (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sabriel (Paperback)
Being a long standing fan of both fantasy (the likes of Philip Pullman and David Eddings amongst others) and science fiction I am always wary when picking up new books that have been hyped in the press. The reason being that I often find myself sadly disappointed and returning to my old favourites. "Sabriel" was not such an occasion - Garth Nix has managed to successfully squirm his way into my favourite fantasy author list.

The book is an absolute dream to read from beginning to end and although it is aimed at a younger audience (according to the marketing), being in my 20s I can honestly say that I didn't notice. Garth Nix's writing flows beautifully and his rich world combining magic with "normality" and his original and carefully crafted realm of Death are breathtaking in their vividness and scope. The careful balance between humour and dark fantasy is never lost and is skilfully played out through the characters (Mogget and Sabriel being my personal favourites).

I have "Lirael" sitting next to my bed now, and I can't wait to read it. Even if you're only curious - you won't be sorry you picked it up (unless you can't afford to buy the rest.... :) )

5.0 out of 5 stars Does The Walker Choose the Path or the path, the walker?, 22 May 2004
This review is from: Sabriel (Paperback)
The above quote one of many incredible lines from the indespensible rich and complex fantasy 'Sabriel'. One of the best books I have ever read, and I am brave enough to even say that it might even be better than 'His Dark Materials' (*shock* did I really say that!??) Garth Nix is a suberb storyteller, he draws you in from the beginning and makes you totally hooked. Sabriel follows the story of a courageous if reluctant heroine who sets out to find her supposedly dead father. With the aid of the very humourous Mogget and the slightly bumbling Touchstone. Imaginative, creative and beautiful. Nix's writing is awe-inspiring and is thoughtful and clever, with some unique ideas about death. If you haven't read it, please do, you won't regret it. A fantastic fantasy and the start of an amazing and entralling trilogy. The Best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen are worth more than 100 stars!, 5 Nov 2007
This review is from: Sabriel (Hardcover)
I found this trilogy by chance here on Amazon and I'm so happy that I did. These 3 books have changed and enhanced my imagination a great deal. I was hooked on Sabriel straight away and I felt attached to her and her mission to find her father, the Abhorsen, after about the first 5 pages. It's an amazing and truly magical trilogy and I can't say a bad thing about it. I have so much respect and admiration for Garth Nix because the characters, places, environment, Old Kingdom creatures and magic are described so brilliantly that it makes it hard to believe that these stories aren't real! In this trilogy you are garaunteed to find stories of sadness, lonliness, determination, independence, loyalty, triumph, happiness, friendship and above all, love. This is definately a book that I think would benefit any keen reader even if you don't think you'll read it at a quick pace, buy Lirael and Abhorsen with Sabriel because you never know!

Sam Bourne, age 18.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sabriel - Garth Nix, 15 Jan 2006
This review is from: Sabriel (Audio Cassette)
I bought this book on tape for my son (who was then 9) to hopefully keep the boredom at bay on a long car journey. From the very start of the tape to the end we were both enthralled, caught up in this fantastic world. I was unsure at first whether the content (death etc) was appropriate for his age but he loved every minute, so much so that as soon as the next two books came out we had to buy them and were soon fighting over who read them first. I will buy the two books on cd/tape as I still listen to Sabriel on long journeys, so good is the story. Garth Nix is a fantastic writer and we are currently working our way through the Mister Monday series and will buy these on tape as well. Give this book a go - you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gory but good, 7 Sep 2002
This review is from: Sabriel (Hardcover)
This book was great. It was full of adventure, and gory bits about the dead rising up. Not many machines - mostly sword-and-sorcery stuff. I could hardly put it down - I got it on Friday and had finished it by Saturday. Boys between seven and sixteen would like this book, especially if they like magical adventures. (Don't be put off by people saying it's too old for you if you are only seven, like me - Phillip Pullman also said it was good and he's right).

4.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing read in the fantasy genre, 6 Feb 2005
This review is from: Sabriel (Paperback)
Garth Nix has created something new with "Sabriel". Although it is usually described as the first in a trilogy, you are not _required_ to continue with the following two as "Sabriel" really is a story in its own right. A good thing, too, as this is the better book of the three.
Putting a more traditional fantasy land (literally) adjacent to a land reminiscent of mid-20th century England was, I originally thought, disappointing, but I soon discovered the oppostite: Nix is able to carve plotlines and perils that are beyond most fantasy writers, and this is why the book deserves to be read.
Nix has a refreshing approach to magic and magical power which I hadn't come across before, although I can't be sure that they're unique. This is especially the case with the powers that our heroine finds herself having to deal with. As a result, the book feels new and interesting the whole way through.
Many themes in the book are ever so familiar, especially for the genre: good vs. evil, the coming of age, having to face painful choices, etc. The story is not complicated and fun to read. Well recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

Sabriel (The Old Kingdom)
0.99