5.0 out of 5 stars Rich and multi layerd epic fiction
All those cliches that are trotted out for so many books atcually apply to this one - original - yes! exciting - yes! unputdownable - yes! I wasnt quite sure where Mr Nix intended his audience to be when he wrote this book. Its difficult to classify a specific audience for it. In manys ways it is young adult but several of the themes definetly stray into more adult areas...
Published on 8 Aug. 2006 by L. Hogan

1.0 out of 5 stars Author comments after each chapter makes it unreadable
This could be a good book but someone decided to finish each chapter with a short commentary from the author. I like to emerge myself in a story and this totally destroys the flow. Stopped reading after 4 chapters. Hope I never see this approach again.
Published 5 months ago by Kindle Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 327 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sabriel - Garth Nix, 15 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Sabriel (Audio Cassette)
I bought this book on tape for my son (who was then 9) to hopefully keep the boredom at bay on a long car journey. From the very start of the tape to the end we were both enthralled, caught up in this fantastic world. I was unsure at first whether the content (death etc) was appropriate for his age but he loved every minute, so much so that as soon as the next two books came out we had to buy them and were soon fighting over who read them first. I will buy the two books on cd/tape as I still listen to Sabriel on long journeys, so good is the story. Garth Nix is a fantastic writer and we are currently working our way through the Mister Monday series and will buy these on tape as well. Give this book a go - you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sabriel - the best new book in a long time, 5 Sept. 2002
This review is from: Sabriel (Hardcover)
As soon as I saw the cover of Sabriel I was intrigued, and by the end of the prologue I was hooked. Lovers of JRR Tolkien, Philip Pullman, Lian Hearn and William Nicholson will love this book too.
Sabriel, the heroine has always known she wasn't like the other girls at Wyverley college, for a start she has journeyed into death. As soon as she realises there is something amiss, that her father Abhorsen is missing and possibly trapped in death, she knows that it is time to leave the safety of the college and the New Kingdom. Her journey takes her back into the Old Kingdom, where free magic is commonplace and the dead are returning in numbers too great for anyone but the Abhorsen to deal with...
Filled with truly original ideas and a plot which increases in intensitity right the way through the book, it is a story which will keep you transfixed, wrench your heart out and leave you gasping for more. I cannot wait for Lirael and Abhorsen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Mogget, The sarcastic cat of Class!!!!, 3 Aug. 2006
Kalothagh (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sabriel (Paperback)
This is by far the greatest book I have ever read. From the first page to the last, I was gripped, pulled and sucked into a fantastic, warped world of Sabriel and Mogget the cat. Just read the book, Sabriel is a fragile, confused little girl that has to take a journey through a land she only knows through maps and has only been so far into with her father from the wall that seperates the magical kingdom and the non-magical kingdom ( kind of reminds me of Oxford or the Cotswolds in ways ). She goes in search of her father who failed to turn up at her school for his usual meetings with her. During this time she meets Mogget the cat at the Abhorsen house ( her fathers ). From there the two carryon the search through both lands and beyond the veil of death using the weapons of the Abhorsen, Seven bells, which are trapped spirits. Each bell has their own personality and are all different sizes. I wont give the story away, but a truelly classic piece of fantasy, that deserves the hype it got.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bring on the next instalment!, 20 May 2003
Xan (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sabriel (Paperback)
Sabriel is a teen read that is also entirely suitable for adults - in the same way that Phillip Pullman and J K Rowling are.
When Sabriel's father mysteriously disappears she has to leave her comfortable school existence behind her to travel into the Old Kingdom to find him. It is time for her to put her magical skills into practice and face terrifying dangers in an extraordinary world. Sabriel is a necromancer and as such she comes into contact with the dead.
I found Sabriel a little confusing to begin with as there was a lot to learn about in this new world that Garth Nix has created but as the story continues the plot gains momentum and charges along. It is a dark read which was quite scary in parts - especially if read alone at night!
I found that I loved this book it is dark, mystical and thrilling and I cannot wait for the next instalment - Lirael.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sabriel, 24 Oct. 2005
Mrs Antoinette Keeble (Birkenhead, Wirral United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sabriel (Paperback)
I originally bought this book for my 10 year old son to read, because he got The Creature in the Case as a free book on World Book Day - which he liked and, as usual, with most books I buy, I like to read them first - just to make sure they're OK for my kids!! WELL! I couldn't put the book down - who said this was a kids book? I'm 34 and was disappointed when the book ended, because I was so engrossed in it - I've since read Lirael and Abhorsen and I've got The Keys to the Kingdom books lined up to read aswell!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sword and sorcery fantasy for teens and adults, 14 Sept. 2002
This review is from: Sabriel (Hardcover)
I loved this book, can't believe no one else has reviewed it yet. Strong female teen heroine in the tradition of Robin Mckinley. Somewhat dark themes so aimed at older teens, I would say, but I'm an adult, and I liked it too. I gave it four stars; if you want to calibrate that, I would give five to The Golden Compass, A Wizard of Earthsea, and The Hero and the Crown. This comes close, but isn't quite in that league, however if you like those books I think you will like this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars In the beginning....., 23 Feb. 2004
Shelagh (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sabriel (Paperback)
Being a long standing fan of both fantasy (the likes of Philip Pullman and David Eddings amongst others) and science fiction I am always wary when picking up new books that have been hyped in the press. The reason being that I often find myself sadly disappointed and returning to my old favourites. "Sabriel" was not such an occasion - Garth Nix has managed to successfully squirm his way into my favourite fantasy author list.

The book is an absolute dream to read from beginning to end and although it is aimed at a younger audience (according to the marketing), being in my 20s I can honestly say that I didn't notice. Garth Nix's writing flows beautifully and his rich world combining magic with "normality" and his original and carefully crafted realm of Death are breathtaking in their vividness and scope. The careful balance between humour and dark fantasy is never lost and is skilfully played out through the characters (Mogget and Sabriel being my personal favourites).

I have "Lirael" sitting next to my bed now, and I can't wait to read it. Even if you're only curious - you won't be sorry you picked it up (unless you can't afford to buy the rest.... :) )

5.0 out of 5 stars Does The Walker Choose the Path or the path, the walker?, 22 May 2004
This review is from: Sabriel (Paperback)
The above quote one of many incredible lines from the indespensible rich and complex fantasy 'Sabriel'. One of the best books I have ever read, and I am brave enough to even say that it might even be better than 'His Dark Materials' (*shock* did I really say that!??) Garth Nix is a suberb storyteller, he draws you in from the beginning and makes you totally hooked. Sabriel follows the story of a courageous if reluctant heroine who sets out to find her supposedly dead father. With the aid of the very humourous Mogget and the slightly bumbling Touchstone. Imaginative, creative and beautiful. Nix's writing is awe-inspiring and is thoughtful and clever, with some unique ideas about death. If you haven't read it, please do, you won't regret it. A fantastic fantasy and the start of an amazing and entralling trilogy. The Best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gory but good, 7 Sept. 2002
This review is from: Sabriel (Hardcover)
This book was great. It was full of adventure, and gory bits about the dead rising up. Not many machines - mostly sword-and-sorcery stuff. I could hardly put it down - I got it on Friday and had finished it by Saturday. Boys between seven and sixteen would like this book, especially if they like magical adventures. (Don't be put off by people saying it's too old for you if you are only seven, like me - Phillip Pullman also said it was good and he's right).

4.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing read in the fantasy genre, 6 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Sabriel (Paperback)
Garth Nix has created something new with "Sabriel". Although it is usually described as the first in a trilogy, you are not _required_ to continue with the following two as "Sabriel" really is a story in its own right. A good thing, too, as this is the better book of the three.
Putting a more traditional fantasy land (literally) adjacent to a land reminiscent of mid-20th century England was, I originally thought, disappointing, but I soon discovered the oppostite: Nix is able to carve plotlines and perils that are beyond most fantasy writers, and this is why the book deserves to be read.
Nix has a refreshing approach to magic and magical power which I hadn't come across before, although I can't be sure that they're unique. This is especially the case with the powers that our heroine finds herself having to deal with. As a result, the book feels new and interesting the whole way through.
Many themes in the book are ever so familiar, especially for the genre: good vs. evil, the coming of age, having to face painful choices, etc. The story is not complicated and fun to read. Well recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 327 | Next ›

Sabriel (The Old Kingdom Book 1)