Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 May 2014
This debut album is everything you expect from from a punchy hardcore album but even more so. The thick baritone riffage along with the raw face ripping screams from Frank make this a great listen. I give this album 5/5 because every time I listen to it, I wish I wrote it instead.
on 27 May 2014
A brilliant debut album. I am still getting acquainted with the songs but my first, second, third, and many more, impressions are of a band that is storming the hardcore punk scene by simply being very talented at what they do. As always, Frank Turner has written lyrics that are thought-provoking, funny and, as expected, somewhat angry. Matt Nazir also shines just by being amazing at just about any instrument that you throw at him. If Frank's other projects are anything to go by, I cannot wait to see these guys live. Their sound is reminicent of Million Dead (for obvious reasons what with Frank Turner screaming his lungs out and Ben Dawson trying to beat his drums to death) but I think the whole album is more well crafted and fine tuned - perhaps a result of 10+ more years of songwriting practice.
Personal favourites so far include 'Staff To The Refund Counter', 'Weak Handshake' and 'Blistering Blue Barnacles', though 'Make Way' feels necessary before any Mongol Horde listening. I have ordered the vinyl and I can't wait to drive my friends crazy.
on 26 May 2014
What an excellent debut album, filled with actually quite clever lyrics! Great to see Frank back in the Hardcore field!!!!!!!!!!
on 16 September 2015
I bought this album having never heard of Mongol Horde or any of their tracks before. I am so glad I did, this is easily the best album I have bought in the last 5 years. For me, Mongol Horde's music doesn't fit in any particular genre; to call it punk is to do it a disservice, but I guess it's the closest fit. Lyrically brilliant, with clashing guitar riffs and thunderous drums, one minute you feel like you are being assaulted, the next you are smiling at the lyrics as if you are at a comedy club.
Musically Mongol Horde are similar to Enter Shikari, and even that's not a fair comparison. When I listen to Enter Shikari it's like being lectured by a 6th form politics student who has read the text book but has none of the life experience. Mongol Horde are the musical equivalent of a war veteran with the 1000 yard stare - they've been there, done it, and have the force to back it up.
It's beautifully angry, intelligent and irreverent, uncomfortable and proud of it. I love it.
on 6 March 2015
To say Mongol Horde is a "side project" (that sadly has been put back into its box for the time being) this album shames many others who do "this" full time. The recording is crisp and crystal clear, with delicate cymbal and brushwork easily discernible. And then the guitars. Oh my god, those guitars! Punchy riffs, looped sequences, the lot. Kind of reminds me of early RATM - basic tunes cranked up to 11 played with authority and craft and aggression and arrogance. "Hey Judas" is my favourite. A half spoken, half growled tale of Keith Richards being a T-1000 model terminator. Wonderful. Missed them on tour in 2014 so looking forward to them opening the box again soon. Well done Frank, Ben and Matt.
on 11 January 2015
I thought I'd HATE this...I'm not really a punk or hardcore type person.

I was wrong. It's brilliant.

If you go through periods of despising every living thing on Earth [and I do] this will help.

The lyrics to 'Staff to the Refund Counter' should be carved in granite, and placed in a prominent location.
on 17 October 2014
Absolutely love this album. Reeks of punk and metal, with hard hitting honest and always beautiful lyrics from Frank. Seen them play at the King Tuts and oh my god, these guys are incredible
on 6 April 2016
Amazing album with some of the best songs that frank turner has put his name to. A lot of tongue in cheek lyrics that bring a smile to your face while banging your head to the tunes.
on 11 August 2014
Pain & Passion with every single word, with a pure innocence that begs to be played as the white vinyl leaves it's sleeve.
on 13 May 2015
Lovely white vinyl in 180g and includes digital download. This album is excellent, it's may be in my top 10 of all time