4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleasent but could have been better
Published on 3 Nov 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed...
2 copies of this were sent to me as the first was damaged (so was the second) but this comment is on the content when I managed to play the CD.
Published 9 months ago by Miriam

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleasent but could have been better, 3 Nov 2005
This review is from: Simplified (Audio CD)
I'm a long term fan of Simply Red so it surprised me to sound a bit negative. That's partly my own fault - I just 'bought' and didn't take note that some of the tracks are covers and this isn't an entirely new album. When any artist does that it always feels like a bit of a swizz. So saying the overall 'feel' of the album is great, most of the cover tracks are well done and worth hearing as a new version. There are a couple of exceptions. A long time favourite track of mine is Fairground and I was looking forward to an upbeat remix similar to the initial tracks on the album - instead it's a slow paced soulful sound that's okay but nothing spectacular and a couple of others I disliked even more. However, I do still like the album and if you're a fan and can get it at a great price like here rather than in the high street then I would thoroughly recommend buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much Much Better Than Expected, 8 Jan 2006
This review is from: Simplified (Audio CD)
I have liked Simply Red since their first album, but recent albums I have been disappointed. Having read a negative review here i was not too hopeful. I also thought it would be just Mick Hucknell singing solo (Sinatra style).
I was wrong - this is an EXCELLENT album. Old and new. Slow and fast tracks, improved versions of old songs, a latin twist.
If you like Simply Red - this is an excellent album. BUY IT.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simplified, 22 Oct 2005
This review is from: Simplified (Audio CD)
Doing an unplugged album was always going to be risky and Simply Red took a gamble with this one. One of the aims of the project was to show how Mick's voice has matured and how he feels it is at its best yet. It achieved success in this area as there is no doubt he has a wonderful voice but the fact that there is little new material on this album is dissapointing and shows almost a self-centredness. That said however, the album is done very well and the band sound great. Although some of the songs perhaps didn't need re-doing (i.e. 'Holding Back the Years', 'More') the songs do stand out in their new form and the songs are by no means ruined although hopefully the old versions won't be lost.
The album's start point - the latino feel - suits Mick very well and 'Perfect Love' and 'Something Got Me Started' are both classic feel-good songs. New versions of 'Fairground' and 'Sad Old Red' particularly stand out and we are reminded what classic songs 'For Your Babies' and 'Your Mirror' are although 'Your Mirror' could do with a bit more of a beat to it. Hints of Frank Sinatra are included in the album - in particular with 'Smile' and there is a really good cover of 'A Song For You' showing Mick unashamedly crooning away with a love song.

The album reminds us that there have been many Simply Red classics and may attract some new listeners although its likely that fans will be most attracted to it (if they don't feel slightly cheated) and this album is great to put on in the background but its perhaps not the best follow-up to 'Home' which many said marked a return to form. Fans will be pleased that the follow-up to this album - 'Amplified' - due out next year - will contain more new material and will have a more upbeat tone. For the mean time though if you're a new listener to Simply Red this album is a great starting point and if you're a true fan you'll probably enjoy Mick's voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 7 Nov 2005
This review is from: Simplified (Audio CD)
Die hard fans will have bought this anyway to add to their collection. I was given it as a gift, and must be honest - on first hearing, I thought it a bit washed out, other than the Perfect Love single which gets into your head and stays there.
Then I saw them at the Albert Hall last week - the album roared in my ears and was simply (excuse the pun) brought to life. So much so that I am off to see them again tomorrow in Brighton, and again on Wednesday in Bournemouth. Give this a listen at least twice and you won't want to play anything else. And if your kids are like mine - and thoroughly fed up with hearing it on an endless loop - tell them that they have NO MUSICAL TASTE WHATSOEVER!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deluxe Edition., 12 July 2014
This review is from: Simplified (Bonus DVD) (Audio CD)
A very good Deluxe Edition featuring the original album, plus remixes and some live performances from the "CUBA!" concert. The DVD features the promo videos, an interview with Mick recorded early 2014 and some live performances. The price is very good for this set.

3.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed..., 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Simplified (Audio CD)
I am a fan of "unplugged" or "acoustic" renditions of music I buy and expected that the versions on this CD would be similar to the "CUBA" DVD (which is truly excellent) but the production was rather murky and not clean nor dynamic or involving.
CDs can be variable in sound quality and this was not one of the best but it was inexpensive and worth having for the money paid.

3 Stars...

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply marvelous, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Simplified (Audio CD)
Stocking filler for a buddy who is a fan. They loved it so good result. Cuban upbeat mix, Mick can work those tunes anyway and get great results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just love simply Red,, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Simplified (Audio CD)
Just love simply Red, wanted another one for my studio! I already have two others but need one for my car home and studio!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sit back and relax, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Simplified (Audio CD)
Having heard "Perfect love "on the radio it was this single that made me buy this album. The first two tracks Perfect love and Something got me started have a strong latin feel and get you in the mood then it slows down to a more relaxing pace"More being a great version of this, Fairground is the only song I felt was too slow but Micks vocals are superb as always.There are many classic's on this album but all have had a slight change making them different from the orginals.Overal this is a great addition to anyone's collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 May 2010
avidgamer (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simplified (Audio CD)
I bought this for my wife, but after hearing it copied it on to my MP3 for myself. It has previous tracks, re-worked for this album and they are great. One of their best.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Simplified (Bonus DVD)
Simplified (Bonus DVD) by Simply Red (Audio CD - 2014)