5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Documentary (Which is Not a Concert Film)
Published 3 months ago by C. Kott

3.0 out of 5 stars For diehard Pulp fans only
If you like Pulp, and I do, this is a gentle walk through their work and nicely nostalgic for the 90s. But revelations like how Jarvis didn't do the washing up when he lived with Richard Hawley might not be enough to keep the non-diehards interested.
Published 5 months ago by DeanOfFaberCollege

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Documentary (Which is Not a Concert Film), 24 Nov. 2014
C. Kott (New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pulp Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
I took my daughter to see this over the summer at a Lincoln Center screening here in NYC. I've been a fan for ages, have seen Pulp live before, and was simply hoping the film would live up to the hype. My daughter, a 12-year old music nerd, only knew of Pulp by hearing me play their music around the house, in the car, etc...We both left the theater - and director Florian Habicht's Q&A - having fallen in love, me with this wonderful film, and my daughter with the film, Pulp and Jarvis Cocker. Two months later, we bought the DVD of the film during a visit to England (we have a region-free DVD player) and have since screened it for my wife, also a Pulp fan who saw them with me at Radio City Music Hall in 2012. As some of the curiously disappointed reviewers have pointed out, this is not a standard concert film. And thank goodness for that, because it's something much more interesting: This gives incredible insight into Pulp - the whole band, not just their charmingly louche frontman - and the city which made them what they became. It's terrific stuff, and I wouldn't trade the interviews with the people of Sheffield or the fans who've traveled to see the band play for anything.

It's months later and my daughter is still in love. While on our visit to London, friends of ours went to see Kate Bush during her heralded residency. One of them stopped by the urinal during the intermission, glanced to his left and saw he was standing next to Jarvis Cocker. Having a wee. My daughter was thoroughly jealous and remains so.

Long Live Pulp!

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing film about brit pop, Pulp and Yorkshire folk., 24 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Pulp Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
What some people are forgetting when writing their reviews is that this is not a film about Pulp, by Pulp. It is about the culture surrounding the Pulp phenomenon and brit pop era. It is made and directed by Florian Habicht not Pulp. The interviews and filming around Sheffield are an intrinsic part of the film. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and would recommend it to everyone.... and not because I'm a sycophantic Pulp fan. Because I appreciate the art of the film itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars A warm and affectionate love letter to Sheffield, 15 July 2014
In December 2012, Pulp returned to Sheffield to play what was ostensibly their last ever gig. As we entered the Arena, there were photocopied posters on the walls announcing that the gig was being recorded. This is not the film of the gig, but is the film of how we all got there.

The film is part history of the band, part love letter from Jarvis to Sheffield, and part concert video. There aren't many songs, and none of them are reproduced in their entirety (except a handful as extras), but the clips that do exist are terrific - "Common People", "This Is Hardcore", and the sublime "Sunrise". If you're buying it hoping to find a concert video though, don't bother.

What you will get are a number of interviews with the band, some of the people around Sheffield, and fans who have travelled to see the film (some from half a globe away). There are a lot of shots of Sheffield scenery, but a PR clip produced to highlight Sheffield as a tourist destination this is most certainly not. It's real Sheffield people in real Sheffield scenery; it's Pulp's Sheffield.

It's not what I was expecting, but it's warm, funny, interesting, wonderfully shot and expertly put together, with love.

Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid, 26 Sept. 2014
Perfect film. Though I am a huge Pulp, my family were not. However, after watching this charming film, with it's celebration of Sheffield and beyond's real life common people, they have become fans. I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys music; Pulp's or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you believe in the afterlife?, 17 July 2014
This review is from: Pulp Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
Definitely the best film about any band ever, in my opinion. I have been a fan of PULP for a little over a year now, which might seem like nothing to you, but appears as an eternity to me. Florian Habicht does an amazing job at showing the Sheffield folk and the members of the band the way they are - common, just like us. A highly inspiring film, definitely recommended to both die-hard fans of PULP and anyone interested. Time well spent. Extras are like a cherry on the top of the cake, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a wonderful, charming, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Pulp Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this at Sheffield Docfest and was blown away! It is a wonderful, charming, quirky, funny, insightful film into one of my favourite bands and the city they grew up in.

5.0 out of 5 stars The film becomes a vivid and fascinating portrait of one of the greatest brit pop bands and the city that saw them ..., 21 July 2014
"Pulp - A Film About Life, Death & Supermarkets" focuses on the many, inner bonds between Pulp and their hometown Sheffield.
Starting from and re-living their final show in 2012, director Florian Habicht collects words and sounds from the band and Sheffield's (common) people. The film becomes a vivid and fascinating portrait of one of the greatest brit pop bands and the city that saw them grow and reach international success. A must see for every Pulp fan worldwide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still thinking about it days after viewing!, 1 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Pulp Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
This is a hugely enjoyable film. I stress it's a film, rather than a concert performance. It's engaging and entertaining and really captures the 'point' of Pulp and especially the dry, sometimes dour Sheffield humour that has created many interesting bands from the City - Arctic Monkeys, ABC, Human League etc. I'm of the generation at Uni during the Britpop era and can see beyond this film as just a nostalgia trip. Don't hesitate, it's a great watch and I actually enjoyed it more than the Stone Rose 'Made of Stone' film; it just more real and honest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing band., 13 Nov. 2014
Rui Filipe Goncalves (Portugal) - See all my reviews
Amazing band ... beautiful documentary ... sadly it's very expensive to buy now from amazon without the SSD shipping ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything PULP and Everything Sheffield, a great watch leading up to the final concert... in Sheffield!!!, 3 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Pulp Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
This is a film/documentary about PULP and Sheffield and is not a live concert recording. Detailing not only the lives of the band members but the general public and how PULP has influenced them. Lots of Sheffield so if you are a fan of the steel city and the old markets this one is definitely for you.

A real feel good watch, wish I had seen it in the cinema!

'I am a common person'

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Pulp Special Edition [DVD]
Pulp Special Edition [DVD] by Florian Habicht (DVD - 2014)