5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection. A treasure, especially for Southerners.
Published on 25 Nov. 1998

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Suitable for children studying American literature at school, short content and flimsy presentation. Not worth the £2 + I paid for it.
Published 2 months ago by Gwenyth Childs

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection. A treasure, especially for Southerners., 25 Nov. 1998
By A Customer
Before I read the text of Capote's masterpiece, I saw the 1967 television production with Geraldine Page and literally fell in love with it. Long before the short story was adapted by many literature anthologies, I read it aloud to my students between Thanksgiving and Christmas. In fact, I had my freshmen students write letters to Mr. Capote in 1977. We were very surprised to receive a postcard of thanks from him in his distinctive, delicate script. The card is a treasure of mine to this day. Now that I have left the classroom, I take out the story and read it aloud to myself at this time of year. It is a gem. I have yet to read it without tears in my eyes when I finish. No piece of literature has ever affected me quite the way "A Christmas Memory" has. I can't imagine any Southerner reading it and not nderstanding the era and locale and the mystique of "fruitcake weather."

5.0 out of 5 stars that which stood him apart from other excellent guitarists of the same genre, 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: A Christmas Memory (Kindle Edition)
I always thought Eric Clapton's genius as a blues/rock guitarist, that which stood him apart from other excellent guitarists of the same genre, was that when he jams each note seems unarguably to be the right note at the right moment, something few others come close to doing so consistently. Having read most of his work, I feel the same applies to Capote with the written word and that this little gem is no exception. The story is child-like, which it should be as it's narrator (almost certainly Capote) is a 7 year old, and in the first beautifully written chapter (4 paragraphs) the scene is set, characters drawn and their main purpose for most of the story has been explained. Once I'd read that 'Just today the fireplace commenced its seasonal roar.' I snuggled down and read the whole book in an hour and then went straight back to the beginning and read it again - but this time it took me two hours. I've since read it two more times, each time reading more slowly than the time before and rather like re-reading a well-written poem, discovered things I'd previously missed. Prior to reading A Christmas Memory, Hemingway's 'The Old Man and the Sea' was my favourite novella - no longer.

I really think for those who've read it, reading again 'A Christmas Memory' will be as much a part of the seasonal festivities as watching Tom and Jerry's 'The Night before Christmas', listening to Bing Crosby's 'White Christmas' and even reading that tale (some say biographical) about a kid being born into difficult circumstances.

Definitely worth 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas Tradition, 30 Nov. 1998
By A Customer
I have been reading this book to my children every Christmas season since they were old enough to sit still for a "long" picture book. They are now teenagers but still like to hear the story. Based on Capote's childhood memories, it recounts the private Christmas traditions which he shared with an elderly cousin in a home short on money and necessities but not lacking in warmth, humor, or love. Prepare to smile and to weep as you read.

5.0 out of 5 stars a christmas tradition, 2 Nov. 1998
By A Customer
this book is an overlooked small masterpiece. the drawings in this particular edition, softly and delicately accurate, make it a perfect book for family reading. it's a beautiful story that makes me cry reading it every time. there is also a short movie version of this story--read entirely by truman himself--that is also a joy to watch. i cant imagine ANYone not being touched by the message of love in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great prose, thought not an impressive edition, can't beat the price, 8 Feb. 2011
I bought this as a gift, and give it five stars because it's pretty much my favourite piece of writing ever, and long has been. I once gave a different edition of "A Christmas Memory as a gift to an older friend who had published forty books and also worked as an editor at Doubleday, who said it was the only thing he'd read in years that he didn't want to edit a single word or a single comma.

This edition's best feature is that it's amazingly cheap. I bought it as a gift for someone else and was a tiny bit embarrassed: in terms of production, it's hardly more than a pamphlet, and in terms of added verbiage, it's definitely oriented towards schoolchildren, with questions to think about and such.

But quality of the story itself makes any edition welcome, and the price can't be beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 13 Dec. 2014
This review is from: A Christmas Memory (Kindle Edition)
A magical story, simply told as all the best stories are. A must read for those who spent sunny childhood afternoons lying in the grass looking at the sky as opposed to playing on their Xbox indoors

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming and heart warming, 20 Dec. 2013
This review is from: A Christmas Memory (Hardcover)
Wonderful tale of an unlikely friendship and how they overcome times of adversity and etch out the old St Francis of Assisi saying, "It is in the giving that we receive".

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 30 Dec. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful story to read aloud with family, 17 Dec. 1997
By A Customer
This year our Winter Party for Book group chose to read this book aloud. As we sat around the table, we took turns reading the story. Truman Capote's writing is so eloquent, the changing of reader's did not influence the story. I was captivated by his experiences. I am waiting for a "30 fruit cake day".

4.0 out of 5 stars A kind christmas tale, 1 Jan. 2010
David Mcmahon - See all my reviews
I had never read any books by truman capote until I brought this one, mainly as it was very cheap, and I was interested in the idea of the book "in cold blood" as I had watched the film INFAMOUS, and enjoyed it.

But I don't like throwing my money around, and didn't want to buy the more expensive book in case I didn't like it. And to be honest, I am still unsure if I will...at the price it is at at the moment.

Its not that I did not enjoy this short story (it is around 30 pages long- for those that do not know), It was quite pleasant- and capote writes with a gentle authority. I wont spoil the tale too much by elaborating on its content, as in fact, you could sum the whole story up in a line.

Its a book that is almost perfectly written, with some beautiful thoughts and a sweet relationship, but it NEEDS some ugly in it in my opinion to really get the depth it requires. It almost achieves this by the end, but for me, not quite enough.

I have rated this quite highly for the beautiful language, and some parts of it that I was moved a little by, but it felt a little too unbelievable without a little wrong in it.

Perhaps this is why IN COLD BLOOD is seen as his masterpiece?

Anyhow, If you can get this for less than 2 pounds, it is worth it, as there will be something i am sure you will take with you after you have read it

A Christmas Memory