on 2 March 2015
covers it's subject well. A nice read
on 13 February 2016
great read very informative
on 4 March 2016
Two many offs and skis .
on 10 March 2015
Im a history buff !!
on 17 October 2014
Often overlooked important front during ww1 very informative ,the static western front tends to dominate people's thoughts,very surprised to learn about the horrific losses of men and material ,very detailed troop movement analysis which might not be for every one the problem I found which is prevalent in Mr buttars other books is that the maps for a particular action are at the beginning of a chapter I found myself constantly flicking back which does spoil the flow of the narrative but still a very good read for a bargain price .
on 2 August 2014
A thorough review of the months preceding and the opening phase of the Eastern front to Christmas 1914. The author has done an excellent job in bringing some of the characters to life, Francois and Conrad particularly. Like other general readers I found myself a little bogged down in the detail of e.g. "XVI Corps (Russian) engaged with XVI Corps (Austria-Hungarian)".
As is almost always my experience I found the maps to be too small on my Kindle
on 28 August 2014
I am enjoying reading this view of the battles on the Eastern Front in World War.
I am not a military buff, and will have to re-read this several times to know what
really happened.
I particularly like the lead-in to the War from the various nations involved regarding
their military expertise and armaments. The politics is also very interesting to a
lay reader.
I am looking forward to other books by this author.
on 11 August 2014
Marvellous book on a subject relatively unknown to most people even,perhaps, addicts of the First World War.I certainly learnt a great deal from it.The only thing about it which prevented me giving it five stars was it probably had too much detail which,at times,made it hard to concentrate.However,it is still a first class description of a period of the First World War which should have been looked at before . Buy it.
on 6 August 2014
Excellent book , looking at the Eastern front , it puts a balance on the better known events on the Western front . For me filling in my interest in 1914 . Recommended .
on 10 July 2014
I don't have a lot to add to the other reviews of this book; I agree that it is a great survey of the war in the East, except to add that it is a unfair to claim that no Western historian has covered the Eastern Front - Barbara Tuchman's book, the Guns of August, is still the standard work on the first month of the war in the East, although she ends it after Tannenberg.

I found Pritt Buttar's previous book on the war in East Prussia 1944-45 (Battleground Prussia) interesting but a little densely written; this is a lot better from that perspective.