on 25 May 2014
Skilfully written with engaging characters and a story that moves along briskly but at the same time allows you to breath in the aroma of the coal mine, the barracks and the battlefield. I love the way this book moves from the grit, blood & sweat of the coal mine across the channel & into war, you really get a sense of what it must've been like to transition from the spectre of war to the reality of it. Can't recommend this book highly enough & can't wait to read more from this author..
on 11 March 2015
Enjoyed this book a great deal, however there were some inaccuracies in both Military equipment and etiquette that were annoying, which therefore stopped it being 5 stars. I wish characters could stick to their ranks and positions, one minute a Major, the next a Captain, then back to Major again, plus the white ensign became the Union jack and then back again. In addition at the end the prose was somewhat confusing particularly as characters were referred to by rank and consequently you never knew who we were talking about, plus I lost track of whether we were advancing or retreating one side of a bridge or village or the other. However I have still given this 4 stars as it was a right rollicking read and thoroughly enjoyable despite the errors. I have bought the next book, (though my kindle started the book at the end so I inadvertently read the end first which I hope wil not spoil it too much - damn).
on 16 February 2015
For a debut novel in the historical fiction/ action genre, this was a very good read. Balancing historical fact with a character driven story,

You really get to care for the characters and what happens to them. There were moments when I felt real loss when the inevitable occurred. The Steelmen moves at a pace that maintains interest and does not give the reader time to rest. Really looking forward to the release of book 2.
on 16 July 2014
Good book with a well researched story line. However, like so many eBooks, it needed a proper proof reader to go through it before publication, because I found the many errors to be distracting. Spell checks are not enough. I hope the author takes note because he has a rare skill for story telling.
on 30 July 2015
This could have been so much better with a little more care on the authors part.
The basic storyline is fairly good but it's riddled with mistakes and errors, seems like no one proof-reads these and as a result it suffers badly.
on 8 December 2014
Great book great read loved the people and the action and story I for one am glad to see books about ww1 it's about time although I may have missed them before it's good to have found them now everyone should read great book
on 16 May 2015
Good read probably quite accurate about the horrors of the first few months of the great war and its class structure
on 24 January 2015
EXCELLENT ACCOUNT OF THE BATTLE OF MONS COMBINED WITH A PAGE TURNING STORY THAT HOLDS THE READER UNTIL THE FINISH
on 18 August 2015
Great read and i hope there will be a follow-up. Full of gritty adventure and action
on 3 December 2015
slow start, but getting better.