5.0 out of 5 stars *****5- Unbelievably Moving -Stars*****
*****5- Unbelievably Moving -Stars*****
~this review may contain minor spoilers~

As I drift into my short coma, I wish, as I have many nights before, that I won't wake, that I'll vanish in my sleep because it's the only way to just forget.
To never again...feel.

Published 7 months ago by Jenn Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Think the jury's still out on this one!
Published 10 months ago by Sue D

5.0 out of 5 stars *****5- Unbelievably Moving -Stars*****, 18 Aug. 2014
Jenn Green (Bath, Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
*****5- Unbelievably Moving -Stars*****
~this review may contain minor spoilers~

To never again...feel.

It is sooo very hard to wrap up what I'm feeling after finishing this book in just a small review. This book will definitely put you through the emotional ringer with everything involved in this story- it's gutwrenching & heartbreaking, sweet & funny, frustrating & devastating, and yet it's also incredibly hopeful. Reading Jenna's struggles was so very hard, yet necessary to understand her story. Logan was just...well, exactly what she needed-even if she didn't see that. And Charlie while was brass, crude, and quite frankly-hilarious, she was extremely loyal, compassionate, and steadfast. E.L. Montes' writing style forced you to feel exactly what she wanted you to, more than once I had tears streaming down my face. Simply put, it was a powerful read.

If I don't allow any emotion into my heart and soul, I have a better chance of surviving. Well, more like existing in this cruel, f*****-up world. In the end, it's the only way to protect myself.

I'm gonna kept this brief and skip the part where I normally do an overview of the story. Everything you need to know going into this you can read in the synopsis, other than that, it's best to just go into this blind to feel the full effects of the story as it unfolds. You have to experience each situation as it comes to understand what the characters are really going through and face the emotions it will draw out of you head-on. And believe me when I say, it will pull some pretty heavy feelings front. But rest assured, you will not be buried under the despair- the author weaves levity throughout the book quite beautifully. It doesn't take away from the seriousness of what is going on, it just gives your heart a momentary break from time to time.

He makes me feel young. I know that may sound ridiculous because I'm only twenty-one, but the past few years have aged me in inexplicable ways. But Logan, he makes me feel my age. I feel vibrant, alive when I'm with him.

The only thing missing from the story, and this is just for me personally, was an epilogue. The book didn't necessarily need it- and all things considered, I wasn't expecting it to be wrapped up in a pretty little HEA with a bright shiny bow, I didn't feel like the ending left me hanging either, I just would have liked to see where everyone ends up down the road. I have never felt so invested in someones outcome before and that's saying something about how truly amazing this author is in my eyes. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone who likes some meat and grit to their romances, and to be surrounded by some pretty phenomenal characters. E.L. Montes has certainly gained a lifetime fan outta me with this one and I am very much looking forward to reading more from her.

I want to drown in this small world created with Logan. I want to breathe it all in, let it fill me up, and drift away. I don't care how much it will burn or the amount of time I have left before my lungs stop working. I want to just feel this way for as long as I can.

Happy Reading xo Jenn @ Bookworm Betties

5.0 out of 5 stars love love love, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Perfectly Damaged (Kindle Edition)
I read alot , and this book I was hooked :) I couldn't put it down . I will definitely be reading more books by this author

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly Damaged, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Perfectly Damaged (Kindle Edition)
I have waited a long time to read this novel I am a big fan of this author and she didn't disappoint me at all. this is an amazing story from an amazing writer. Yes this is about mental illness but the author has peppered the story throughout with bouts of humour to lighten the heavy subject matter. there is great banter between the guys and Charlie is just hilarious and such a good and much needed friend to Jenna. Please don't be put off by this subject and buy it you wont regret it I assure you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Think the jury's still out on this one!, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Perfectly Damaged (Kindle Edition)
Was just not expecting a book like this from this author and I'm still not quite sure whether I enjoyed it or not. I nearly gave up so many times in the beginning it was so heavy it was like walking through treacle. I was nearly half way through before I thought ok I have to finish the book just to find out what happens to Jenna & Logan. Was this a love story? Was this a book about mental health issues? The subject was clearly well researched and was something the author felt strongly about. This book was just not for me but have read other 5 star reviews so looks like plenty of people do like it. Just too depressing and confusing for me hence 3.1/2 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional roller coaster!, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Perfectly Damaged (Kindle Edition)
This is one book that should not be overlooked if you are looking for a heart gripping and emotional story with loveable characters this is for you. I found while reading the story of Jenna and Logan that I laughed out loud at a few moments in the book and actually cried over two parts in their journey and I do not cry easily but the whole writing style of this author has me coming back for more. This will be one book that I shall read over again and still feel my heart aching just like the first time I read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Perfectly Damaged (Kindle Edition)
What an absolute stunner of a book! I honestly cannot fault this book one single bit. Perfection!

I felt everything Jenna and Logan went through, I was there with Jenna through every memory, and I fell in love with Logan right beside her.

He is a strong, courageous and amazing boy, and Jenna..... Well that girl deserves every bit of happiness she can get.

Cannot recommend this book more x

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreakingly, stunningly, beautiful!, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Perfectly Damaged (Kindle Edition)
I find it incredibly hard to do a book like this justice in a review, a book like this changes you, it changes your perceptions, it left me feeling like I’d accomplished my own mini personal journey and that I am now a slightly better person from what I gained reading this stunningly, heartbreakingly beautiful story.

Jenna has been throughout the most incomprehensible devastating tragedy, my heart broke for what happened to her & the aftermath of that event, it threatened to break a young girl who has everything to live for & break her it did for 4 long years and then she meets Logan and he just “is” no bells & whistles, he’s just Logan, his own demons haunt him but he’s found a way to cope and he want’s to help Jenna move forward & be all he knows she can be.

It was so heart warming to watch Jenna blossom when she was shown unconditional love, something her parents hadn't been able or had been unwilling to give her for over 4 years.

Jenna & Logan eventually have to face the harsh reality of her condition and my heart broke all over again watching them struggle to hold it all together & not being able to quite manage it & despite their best efforts they’re torn apart, do they have what it takes to find their way back to each other and have their very own happy after after?

4.5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it!, 14 May 2014
This review is from: Perfectly Damaged (Kindle Edition)
Wow what a great read. I am not going to lie I found it incredibly hard to start this book. The prologue alone took me.a day to get through and not because I am a slow reader but because how tough the story was. This book is entirely different to Emmy's other books. I loved this even more. Firstly because it was so refreshing to read a book where the kids didn't attend college and have stupendously successful jobs because let's face it, it's a rarity. Secondly I loved it because I never knew what was coming, what I thought would be predictable. I felt so deeply for Jenna. I love dialogue heavy books and this did not disappoint. It was a bitter sweet story. I really was irked that there was no epilogue however, how very original. I was expecting the whole they got married and had babies and lived happy ever after. Overall worth the 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 14 May 2014
This review is from: Perfectly Damaged (Kindle Edition)
What an emotionally packed book. There is a lot in this I can relate to and reading it has made some things a lot clearer to me. I didn't realise a book could make me cry so much turkey powerful

5.0 out of 5 stars Original Story with Beautiful Characters, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Perfectly Damaged (Kindle Edition)
"Everyone suffers from their own struggles, whether they're big or small. There's no such thing as having a flawless life."

Two things I absolutely love in books - something a little different from the norm and something we can all relate to in some way. This book has both. Yes we've all read books before where one of the main characters has issues, but I've not read a romance book where the main character has mental health issues and for me this book was more about this and the road to recovery than the romance. As for things we can all relate to, the line I quoted at the start is just one of many (I went highlighter crazy!) I think we will all relate to on some level - it's true, no matter how perfect someone's life appears to be, you never know what they are truly going through.

The book starts in true EL Montes style, with something that will keep you guessing what's happened. Jenna McDaniel has woken up from a nightmare and rushes to her sisters room, only to be met with what she expected, but hoped not to be true - it's empty. Brooke is no longer there. Through the book we learn that Brooke has died, however we are left guessing for sometime as to the how and why. Brooke's death has had a huge impact on Jenna as you can imagine and she is struggling with her grief:

"Grief never goes away. It haunts you, takes over your mind, body and soul. Before you know it, it has won."

But grief isn't all Jenna is going though. Jenna suffers from Schizoaffective disorder. She's depressed and suffers from hallucinations and occasionally voices in her head. This has lead her to be a closed person, she tries not to feel emotion, shutting herself off from the world.

"Fear is one of my most battled emotions. Fear of the unknown, of never knowing where each step will lead..... It terrifies me."

Jenna's mum has decided to build a guest house and on the construction team is Logan Reed.

"A truck. Tats. And a cocky attitude."

I totally loved Logan and his cocky attitude and I loved the banter that they had. On their first meeting he helps Jenna out of a difficult situation which ends up with them kissing.

"He's a good kisser. He tastes like an apple-flavoured Jolly Rancher, which is usually the one flavour I ditch in the pack; after this it may become my favourite."

Sure, Jenna enjoyed it and she is attracted to Logan, but she knows it was just a one off , it can never be anymore, no one will ever want to get close to her when they know all about her. Logan on the other hand thinks a little different. He can't stop thinking about the kiss and wants a repeat performance. As they see each other more, they become friends, Logan wants more though and knows that Jenna is hiding something, if only he can just peel her layers.

Jenna has a real struggle here, she knows what people think of her when they find out about her illness. Will it make Logan run too?

"Jenna McDaniel, the girl with more issues than she can carry. No man will ever be able to handle them. Not even Logan Reed."

As I said before, yes this is a romance book, but it's more about a person suffering with mental illness and the struggles they go through, not only do we watch Jenna struggling with her feeling for Logan, trying to keep him away, but wanting him close, Thinking it's best for him not to know about her illness and the everyday struggles she faces, but we see her dealing with her mother who is a major trigger for her. Readers, make no mistake, this woman is a total bitch, the way she treats Jenna by not supporting, but actually contributing to triggering episodes for Jenna will have you seething. Luckily she does have a best friend on her side, Charlie. Charlie was actually Jenna's sister, Brooke's best friend, but knowing of Jenna's illness Charlie looks out for her and the two became friends. I totally love Charlie, she adds some humour to the book.

The book is told from alternating points of view between Jenna and Logan, which was great seeing not only what Jenna was going through, but how Logan perceived her behaviour and how he felt about it. There was one part of the book though where I would have liked to have seen what Logan was going through but alas, we just got Jenna's pov. I understand why the author chose to do this though ~ I'm just greedy!

I think EL did a fantastic job of portraying the darkness a person feels they have in them and the fear that people might find out and what they would think of them. Also what others around them might have to deal with. There are several things in this book that anyone suffering with, or is supporting someone with depression or other mental illness will relate to.

I do want to just share one of my favourite lines ~ there's hope for us all:

" ..everyone has issues and there's someone out there, regardless of what you may think, who can handle anything you're dealing with - because maybe that person needs you as much as you need them."

In summary this book has got the right balance of being a great romance book, that highlights mental illness' and the struggles that those suffering with or trying to support someone with an illness has to go through, without it being too heavy.

"That's why I just live for today, and push for tomorrow."

Perfectly Damaged