on 17 November 2015
This is a good survivor story, not bogged down in "specialist" details (for specialist read nurd, gun worshipper, insane prepper). The apocalypse is similar to that in the 1956 Brit book "The Death of Grass" (No Blade Of Grass in the US and for the film adaptation). As plants die by disease, there is time for the clear thinkers to get ahead of the masses and prepare to survive.
We don't get instant anarchy, wrapped up in too many details of shop looting, etc. And most importantly, our hero is NOT a Navy Seal, Army Ranger, Sniper, Commando or ninja as most American books of this type have. We also do not get dribbly details of the authors semi-automatic weapons with night sights, suppressors, laser guided wet dreams.
We do get a story about a slightly dithering, normal person who is conflicted about telling people he knows about his plans to prepare to "bug out" to his remote hunting lodge. We get a rational approach to getting ready for the collapse of everything he knows and we get mistakes. Human errors of judgement.
As in a lot of these PA stories we do get a view of the best and worst of human behaviour and that comes in the form of his new best buddy Del and the tyranny of local despot.
The story has several different paces and I found it a real page turner. It also has a proper ending with an implied sequel for those interested.
I, for one, am very interested to carry on with Fletchs story. In fact I immediately bought book2 - Eagle One
on 23 May 2014
This has not bored me at all. I somehow got caught up in Zombie books when I first got my Kindle and have been looking for others, like The Rain, The Snow ,Sedulity but this is better. The concentration is not on the thing that has caused, more on the reason to live. Give it a try. Just hope nest one is better still though I doubt it.
on 6 July 2015
AT LAST an author of a "series" that gives a proper ending to Book One and also a hook to Book 2....
OK .. the book... great story line that you are never sure how it is going to end. A novel end of world scenario,
Just one spoiler. This is NOT a stupid Zombie book. It is about real people trying live not some repetitive effort to revive the dead.
I am about to purchase the 2nd Book "Eagle One" and I hope this is in the same vein.
Carry On Noah... but please remember to ALWAYS have a proper ending to each book unlike some of your genre compatriots.
on 14 July 2015
Finally, an apocalyptic story written by someone that can actually write as opposed to a prepper that thinks they can write. It is for the U.S. market, but it's a great story, my only minor criticism would be the authors tendency to make huge statements as the last sentence in every chapter, but still 5 stars.
on 12 July 2015
Really enjoyed this book and found that I really wanted to read what happens next. Well done.