5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to free some space on your ssd
I got this to store my iTunes library somewhere other than my ssd without the sacrifice of having to plug it in when i wanted to play music, or sync my phone.

I was always juggling 10-20GB of free space on my macbook air.

This is roughly as fast as the spec say, ~95MB read.
Published 3 months ago by kim Hunter

1.0 out of 5 stars Initially promising, and middling read/write speeds weren't a concern ...
Initially promising, and middling read/write speeds weren't a concern, but this has a major flaw: the JetDrive drops off the USB bus every time another mass storage device is inserted into either of my Air's USB ports - with a worrying 'Disk Not Ejected Properly' prompt. So, can this be trusted with my data? Probably not. I will be returning the item for a refund.
Published 9 days ago by D. SCANTLEBURY-WATSON

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to free some space on your ssd, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Transcend JetDrive Lite 130 128GB Storage Expansion Card (Personal Computers)

I was always juggling 10-20GB of free space on my macbook air.

This is roughly as fast as the spec say, ~95MB read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful backup solution, 18 July 2014
When I bought my nice new MacBook Air, I started by buying a Nifty MiniDrive. And it's good! But it's limited, because the largest microSD cards currently available only support 64GB. My main purpose in buying an SD drive was to back up my main system using Time Machine. And with just 64GB, my Nifty very soon ran out of capacity.

Then I saw the Transcend. And instantly bought it. The 128GB of space is more than enough for most of my files; I don't bother backing up stuff on Dropbox, OneDrive or Soonr, because that's already synced to remote servers. And the Transcend cooperates effortlessly with Time Machine, which is a big relief. What's more, it's a slightly more practical design than the Nifty, in that the 'cap' that seals the drive into the slot is relatively easy to pull out with a fingernail – the Nifty needs a special tool (actually, a pin or twisted paperclip would probably do, but still).

So: very happy with it. No, I've no idea what the data transfer speeds are – I'm just happy it gets on well with Time Machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant MacBook Air storage upgrade - bravo Trascend!, 29 Jun 2014
Colin (Scotland, UK.) - See all my reviews
Spotted this on Macrumors news feed a few weeks ago and couldn't believe my luck.
I have a 256Gb SSD in my MBA, but I filled it about 6 months ago and was already using a 64Gb card in the SD card slot for extra storage, which obviously sticks out and is prone to damage from knocks.

When installed, the JetDrive sits almost perfectly flush - just about 1mm proud of the case - enough to get a fingernail under each side when you need to remove it - which is obviously a bit trickier than a normal SD card which you can grip easily. The Acme sleeve I keep my MBA in is tight fitting, but it never catches on it.

I have my iTunes library (around 50Gb) on it like other reviewers here, but I also have my Windows XP disk image for VMWare Fusion (around 30Gb). Brilliant to be able to keep it separate from my main hard drive.
If you use a Windows disk image with Fusion or Parallels regularly, this is a great place to keep it.

Any downsides? Well, you do lose your SD card slot! So if you regularly use SD cards for photo / digital video imports, this might be an annoyance, because as mentioned above, it is a lot trickier to remove the flush JetDrive from the slot compared to a normal SD card. The easiest solution I found is if you have a later MBA with USB3 ports, just get a USB SD card adaptor - under 10 to buy, saves unplugging the JetDrive every time and transfers are nearly as fast - job done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome. Since buying my Macbook Air I couldnt see ..., 2 July 2014
Awesome.
Since buying my Macbook Air I couldnt see any use really for the expansion slot.
It is easier to just plug my camera into the USB port and upload like that.
when i heard that someone was making these I was eager to get hold of one that could offer me the facility for an external failsafe eencrypted drive which is what i use it for.
It works very well, only thing is it to make sure you dont want to keep ejecting it - it is an external drive so you have to remove and reinsert if you eject it.
there is another manufacturer on the market but they offer micro SD cards that fit into a slot on the card. These are very expensive where as the Transcend offers very good value for money. The 128GB is ample and although I'd love bigger, am sure this will happen in the future.
Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once skeptical, now sold., 15 July 2014
I bought this to expand the amount of space on my Mac. I have a 2013 Macbook Air with the 128GB SSD. The idea was to put my iTunes library on it with a few favourite films.
I don't quite get this Mb/s business with transfers but I do know it can be confusing when you buy memory cards. With this Transcend card, it took 10mins to transfer 27Gb of music on to my mac from a USB 3.0 drive and 9 mins to transfer it to the Transcend card. That's exactly what I wanted, excellent transfer speeds.
Some reviews suggest that it isn't flush with the Mac body. It isn't. It does stick out a very small amount. Not enough to catch on a case but enough to pull it out if you want to.
Impressed? You bet. It was definitely the right choice, would I buy it again? No. I wished I had bought the 128Gb version at these prices.

Update 17/7/14, using an SD card read write test utility, this card achieved 58Mb/s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great but needed a reformat, 21 July 2014
After I'd just received my new JetDrive Lite 130, I was happy to see 128GB available on the empty card. However, I copied 16GB of files to it and the Finder told me only 89.3GB was available.

That's 39GB less space for 16GB of usage! The folder itself showed 16m bytes and 25GB on disk, whereas on my ssd, it showed 16m bytes and 16GB on disk.

The SD Association (of which Transcend are a member) cite performance impacts as a reason against using standard drive formatters.

However, they have a formatter available for download at https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4.

On Mavericks, I reformatted my drive using this utility and recopied my files.

The results were as follows:

A single file 14.57GB took 4 minutes to copy. This is the exactly as advertised 60MB/s write speed.
80k files (16GB), however took 92 minutes to copy. which reflects about 5MB/s.

In both cases, however, the info window was as expected showing a reasonable amount of memory usage and memory remaining. So, this solved my original problem.

As a comparison, I decided to reformat as a Journaled and found the following:

14.57GB file took 10 minutes to copy, which is only about 50% of the advertised max speed.
80k files (16GB) more importantly took only 10.5 minutes.
For me, sticking with a Journaled format is a no brainer, particularly if writing lots of small files, which I will be. It also may allow me include this on a Fusion drive, although I haven't investigated this yet.

TL;DR - It is probably best to reformat to a Journaled partition as it provides a more consistent write speed of about 30MB/s, no matter the file sizes. ExFAT ranged between 5 to 60 MB/s speeds, depending on the number of files being written (lower number is faster).

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, 13 Sep 2014
Easy and not so expensive way of double the storage of your MacBook Air.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Sep 2014
Excellent design and does what it says in the tin!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Aug 2014
D Lee - See all my reviews
Perfect for MacbookAir. Speed as advertised.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really nice piece of kit that sits flush in the side ..., 17 July 2014
A really nice piece of kit that sits flush in the side of your machine. Not so easy to remove therefore better used as a static device that gives you an extra 128 GB!