Size: 64 GB|Style Name: MacBook Pro (Retina) 13" (2012-2014)|Change

on 4 April 2015
As far as the product is concerned, it's excellent and it's quite quick (at least read speeds). Expect write speeds to be just into the double-digits of MBs per second but In everyday use, you won't notice any speed issues whatsoever. If you're buying one of these, you are probably doing so to basically turn your SD-card-slot into a solid-state expansion bay, hence using it to install your programs, etc. on it. It essentially turned my 256 GB of Macbook Pro storage to a total 384GB - just enough to allow me use my Macbook Pro as my desktop-replacement. Physically, it sits flush, thanks to Transcend multitude of models of the same card with tailored dimensions (make sure you order the correct one for your model and model year).

If you're purchasing this product, I will assume you are trying to do the same - maximizing your built-in laptop storage for as little outlay as possible.

Caveats:

You need to be aware of some limitations. Initially the JetDrive card is formatted as MS-DOS/FAT so copying, etc. is very slow. So the first thing that needs to be done is to format the card as Mac Journalled via Disk Utility - allowing it to reach it's full speed potential.

Also, the JetDrive card will need to be inserted perfectly into the Mac's SD slot. Even the *slightest* of smallest gaps will plague you with constant Mac "Disk Not Ejected Properly" messages every once in a while, even though you didn't do anything to jar it. Pushing it in with your thumb won't fix the error from reoccurring either. Removing the card completely (which is a test of patience and nails as it's hard to remove - use a lot of gentle rocking) and reinserting it properly is the only way to get rid of these messages for good. For this reason, I recommend you *never* remove the card once you have it inserted well. If you need to access another SD card from time-to-time - buy a cheapo USB card reader - maybe one that doubles as a keychain fob.

Bear in mind that the Mac sees the JetDrive simply as an inserted SD card, which means it will not be seen as a *drive*. Had it been seen as a drive, it would have been possible to RAID array it with your existing drive (using Disk Utility) to turn into one large lump of storage. That's not a fault with the JetDirect, just an OS-limitation. Still this doesn't negate the use or the need of this JetDrive card by any means.

As a lot of Mac software *insist* on installing on to the boot disc or disc in general, this won't allow most programs to be *natively* installed on the SD card. However, there are ways around this. You can install the software on your boot drive (as usual) and then move it's application and/or data manually to the JetDrive. Once moved to the JetDrive, then create an *alias* (right click and select 'create alias') and place that alias where the data/application was on the boot drive. This way, you free space on your precious boot drive for other junk and it launches as expected.

Another useful tip is that iLife applications (such as iTunes, iPhoto, etc. and other programs that use data like Photoshop, etc.) allow you to specify where the data is kept, thus enabling you to make use of your JetDrive. Using this method, I was able to move my entire music and photo library to the JetDrive as well.

Also, if you use Parallels or other Windows-virtualization software, you can set or move the virtual disk image onto the JetDrive instead allowing for more of your primary storage to be freed.

In short, I wholeheartly recommend the JetDrive. It's faster and cheaper than it's microSD competitors (when comparing to the 128GB capacity) and does exactly what is needed - free up your storage. Especially if your Mac is a Macbook Air or Macbook Pro Retina where your cost-effective upgrade options are budget-limited.
review image
55 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2014
I bought this for my mac to plug open SD-card hole and give more space same time :D Very satisfied, hopefully lasts longer than some SD-cards and do not die without warning...

I've put my photo library to card so my SSD is available for more applications.

I recommend to install Transcend JetDrive Toolbox so when entering sleep mode, card unmounts automatically and mac can go to "deep sleep".
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 September 2015
More detaila on my Video Review available https://youtu.be/Zkc0xYJ9CRI

The JetDrive Lite 330 is in my opinion the most elegant storage solution for the macbook pro / Macbook Air line up, at least that i have tried so far.

Its great if we need more available space for documents, photos, videos and so on, or if we want a local drive for Time machine backups or even for our Photos Library without sacrificing our internal SSD. Off course it can be used in any other way but these are the things that i see that can be more useful.

About with half the size of a regular SD Card, just fits great on the Macbook pro.

The way that i see that its more useful is using it as a permanent solution and if we need to use a SD card then just use a USB SD Card reader and there we go!

Things i did like the most:
- Most Elegant Storage solution for the Macbook Pro / Macbook Air
- Great Speeds for the type of storage
- Safe to use on the go without worrying to remove the SD card
- Price tag is worth for what we get

Things i did like the less:
- I loved it!!! So there is nothing that i didn't liked about it :)

Hope that you guys enjoy the video and that its useful in some way
All the Best
RJ
on 24 September 2014
I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro with 256 gb internal flash drive. I wanted to increase the capacity and the choices were Nifty and Trascend. Nifty apparently has the drive which sits flush with MacBook and you need a micro sd card with it. However nifty has not produced one for MacBooks from late 2013 so I went for this.

First of all, the black base you see in the picture is the only part that does not go into the card slot. So in essence it does sit flush against my MacBook and it's nice to have this because you can take it out when you need it. Otherwise it's a snug fit. Nifty apparently goes all in but you need a special key to take it out. Plus it apparently has a red light on the pictures. This one looks sleek with the aluminium MacBook.

When I plugged it in. It was ready to go. However it hung up when I started writing on it. I just reformatted it to Mac OS Journaled (hope I got that right) and after that it has worked well. I have transferred my iTunes library and my picture to this card (I didn't realise it was more than 60 gb) and plan to use it for that purpose only. So far no issues when I open my iTunes and picture library on MacBook. And let's hope it lasts.

In future there will be a time when this too will fill up but that's a long way away. Then I may buy something similar to nifty because you can then choose your micro sd card capacity as you wish (you must have heard of the 800 dollar new 512 gb card..:). For now, this is ideal.
on 29 June 2014
Spotted this on Macrumors news feed a few weeks ago and couldn't believe my luck.
I have a 256Gb SSD in my MBA, but I filled it about 6 months ago and was already using a 64Gb card in the SD card slot for extra storage, which obviously sticks out and is prone to damage from knocks.

When installed, the JetDrive sits almost perfectly flush - just about 1mm proud of the case - enough to get a fingernail under each side when you need to remove it - which is obviously a bit trickier than a normal SD card which you can grip easily. The Acme sleeve I keep my MBA in is tight fitting, but it never catches on it.

I have my iTunes library (around 50Gb) on it like other reviewers here, but I also have my Windows XP disk image for VMWare Fusion (around 30Gb). Brilliant to be able to keep it separate from my main hard drive.
If you use a Windows disk image with Fusion or Parallels regularly, this is a great place to keep it.

Any downsides? Well, you do lose your SD card slot! So if you regularly use SD cards for photo / digital video imports, this might be an annoyance, because as mentioned above, it is a lot trickier to remove the flush JetDrive from the slot compared to a normal SD card. The easiest solution I found is if you have a later MBA with USB3 ports, just get a USB SD card adaptor - under £10 to buy, saves unplugging the JetDrive every time and transfers are nearly as fast - job done.
on 7 February 2016
The jet drive itself is literally amazing.

Awesome, fast, after I formatted it in the correct format.

The reason I have only given 3 stars is because with El capitan, the software that automatically ejects the card and reconnects it (when you close your macbook, allowing it to go into deep sleep) does not work at all.

There are numerous threads online about this issue, that I only discovered after buying. Transcend should be upfront and tell us that there is an issue with el capitan compatibility, or even better, they should fix the issue and give a working software.

Still, everything does work perfectly otherwise, it will just always be drawing power, and stopping deep sleep. I guess until a fix is made, I'll have to properly shutdown the mac.

Here are a couple of threads talking about the same issue I've had.

[...]
[...]
on 29 July 2015
I love my new Macbook Air, it's efficient and beautiful. The storage space, however, leaves something to be desired, that is unless you opt for a more expensive model...which I didn't. Tired of lugging my external HDD around, I had turned to a USB 3.0 flash drive. However, the danger of bumping the stick and totalling a USB port (there is only 2 anyway!) worried me into searching for an alternative.

Pros:

Instant 128GB upgrade to my macbook air - doubled my storage in 10 seconds!

Simple, sleek and effective - you plug the tiny drive into the SD card slot of your Macbook, format it, and thats it.

Read performance is good - upto 95MBps (1080p files played pretty much flawlessly)

Write performance is decent - upto 60MBps (Moving data is not exactly instant but certainly quick. That being said, you probably won't want to render footage to it or boot an OS from it!)

Cons:

I have found it somewhat difficult to remove at times - albeit you'd probably only want to remove it occasionally!

Read and Write performance can vary. Greatly. It's not a deal breaker, this drive isn't a performance drive. It is merely a convenient and unobtrusive supplemental storage solution - infinitely more practical than an external HDD.

It is not exactly aesthetically pleasing - there are prettier alternatives out there, you can even buy your own micro SD card and adapter! Although this often ends up being pricier especially as there are only a few micro SD cards which theoretically match the Jetdrive in terms of performance. It must be noted though, the adapter and micro SD card combo has the significant advantage of being able to swap out the micro SD card.

Verdict:

It is pretty much an SD Card which has been cut in half. That being said, it is easily the most essential accessory, after a case that is.
on 6 November 2014
Could be faster but does its job of being invisible very well.
review image
on 21 June 2014
These expansion cards are fantastic for anyone with a Retina MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, where upgrade options are virtually non-existent.

The JetDrive Lite cards are specific to not only to the model of laptop, but also screen size and year of production. So make sure you are buying the right card for your machine as they all have different SD card slot depths.

This card is for the latest (at the time of writing) 15" rMBP (the Late 2013 model). It's a perfect fit for this machine with a 1-2mm bit that sticks out to allow removal. It does not sit flush like other expansion cards (like the Nifty MiniDrive), however, it doesn't appear prone to falling out or being knocked. It looks very neat and I'm confident there will be no problems in terms of its design.

Once installed, you are ready to go. I did not need to format the card and started copying my data to it. Write speeds aren't amazing, certainly not as fast as USB3, but decent enough. Read speeds seem to be fine. I ran a 1080p HD video from the card without any issues.

When rebooting or waking from sleep, the card is already mounted so it's exactly like having a second drive installed on your laptop.

There are many ways you could use this card, as a Time Machine for example, however I've decided to store my DropBox/OneDrive/Copy folders on it so everything is automatically backed up to the cloud. If you have the cash, then the 128GB card is definitely worth getting.

A really good item to have, but as I said before, double-check you are getting the right card for your machine.
55 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2015
Bought for use in late 2013 Macbook Pro 13 inch.
Fits perfectly, with only the slightest, tiny protrusion from the case. (See image, pound coin for scale)
Speeds are very reasonable at just around 15MB write and 78 meg read. (See image for speed test) (Edit - Amazon have resized the image and it does not show details. See cropped image here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14035139/Mac%20Pictures/DiskSpeedTestJetdrive.png)
Recommended use is for files rather than applications. I use mine for Google Drive and Dropbox folders as these are quite heavy in storage yet don't require much speed.
Have had no reliability issues to date, so far the experience has been to plug it in and forget it's there.