5.0 out of 5 stars At last!!
Having recently got BT fibre (Infinity) at home I was hugely disappointed by the performance of the HomeHub 5. Daily wifi drop outs, refusing to dish out IP addresses and more issues. I wrote to Billion asking if they were developing a solution and they were - here it is.

Published 4 months ago by NDA

Published 3 months ago by romsey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars At last!!, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Billion BiPAC 8800NL VDSL2/ADSL2+ with Gigabit and USB Port Wireless N Modem Router (Accessory)

It pretty much sets itself up. I know my way around the set up of a router - but not this one! It seems incredibly complex- fortunately it's pretty much plug and play.

The wifi is now stable and the unit seems as reliable as all the other Billion routers I've had over the years.... I was a frequent upgrader, so I've had a few.

Highly recommended to replace the HH5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with TalkTalk fibre, but you need to tweak! (see below), 29 Aug 2014
I had TalkTalk fibre installed and decided to replace the clunky BT openreach modem and cheapy TalkTalk router with this beasty.

Hook this router directly into the VDSL line and it syncs straight away, but it won't authenticate automatically when you follow the "quick install" instruction included...

What you need to do is click onto the configuration section and click on the WAN section go to your PTM0.1 connection and click the "edit" button... on this screen select "IP over Ethernet" from the top dropdown... then change the VLAN mux ID to "101" and change the 8021P to "0", finally change the MTU to 1492.... and click "appy" that should be that!!!

Only been using it a few hours... but it was a pain to get the settings right so I thought to pop them here... enjoy!!

3.0 out of 5 stars ** UPDATED ** The wireless performance is not good, but the ADSL modem is outstanding, 31 July 2014
Only tried the wireless performance which was not good. It set itself up on channel 8, so I did a test against each of our two ISP supplied routers with them set to channel 8. It was not quite as good as the PlusNet supplied TG585 v8 and nowhere near as good as the TalkTalk supplied Echolife HG520s (which was so old it doesn't have wireless n, only wireless g). Two neighbours have BT Home Hub 3's and the signal from these at about 100 yards away is stronger than this router at 15 yards or so away. Measurements were made based on signal strength with "inSSIDer" on the same channel (8).

The Billion website says about one of its other routers, the 7800N, "Whilst other manufacturers have started to place the antennas actually within the chassis of the router to create a more aesthetic sleek look, we believe that this fundamentally reduces the effectiveness of the wireless performance". My experience suggests that Billion are correct and it is a pity they did not follow their own advice when they designed the 8800NL.

I am disappointed as I was looking forward to good wireless range and trying our the SNR tweaking that Billion routers are known for. The router is being returned to Amazon who, as usual, provide excellent customer service. I may well get a Billion 7800N to replace it.

** UPDATE **

I have kept the 8800NL router as the modem performance on our ADSL is outstanding. ISP provided routers synced at about 1120kbs, the 8800NL immediately synced at 1660kbs with the same SNR (7dB). Moderate tweaking of the SNR achieved 1920kbs, with over 2000kbs possible with increased errors. With that sort of performance improvement, I have decided to purchase some powerline wifi boxes to overcome the wifi range problem. I had hoped for a single box solution.

I've changed my rating to 3 stars to reflect a superb ADSL modem performance coupled with an abysmal wireless performance. With an external antenna I think the wireless performance would be improved and the router would merit a 5 star rating.

I've tried various channels on the wireless and checked that it connects as wireless n, but I think the lack of an external antenna means that from a wireless point of view, it performs like a router given away by an ISP.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good VDSL2 router but does not find the best Wireless Channel Automatically, 23 Aug 2014
Purchased for use with Plusnet FTTC. Easy to set up. Wireless was less so. I have owned 4 routers in the past, all of them selected the best wireless channel automatically.
When I first did a wireless test I was getting 1mb to 16mb download using speedtest.net. Mostly it was 1mb. I was going to send this back to Amazon. I then logged into my router, went to Configuration>Wireless>Advanced. The Channel was on Auto, next to this was the current channel automatically selected by router which was 6. When I went to Scan Channel it came up with another popup box stating all Channels used by my neighbourhood. channel 6 had 3 devices using this and the interference was severe. Channels 1 & 4 were also used. I selected Channel 2 and the router then stated interference acceptable. I ran Speedtest.net again and I was consistently getting 30 to 41mb download speeds. Wireless range is better than My Sky Router. I wish Billion made nicer looking routers though like the Asus range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as an ADSL2+ modem, 18 Oct 2014
John Boy (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
What's in the box
Resource CD, Quick Start booklets, a CAT 5E UTP cable (not STP as referred to in one booklet), RJ11 phone cable, power supply and router / modem. Billion UK have re-stocked the retailers after most had sold out recently; the new stock has the latest firmware (15 August 2014).

Construction
Well constructed case that sits vertically on an integral stand. It has four RJ45 ports - three 10/100 Mbps and one Gigabit - the Gigabit port can be configured as a fibre connection. It also has an RJ11 port for an ADSL connection. WiFi is single band 2.4Ghz with two internal aerials. Staus lights are understated green. There is a two year non-transferable warranty provided that the 8800NL is purchased from Billion UK or it's UK partners.

Setup
The set up is via a web browser, quick and, correctly detected that BT ADSL2+ is PPPoA. There are a multitude of options most of which are probably left at default. I've set it in full bridge mode to act as a modem for my upstream ASUS router that connects via PPPoE. In theory I should be able to access the 8800NL's web GUI via Firefox or IE, but in practice this isn't possible in full bridge. The alternative recommended by Billion Support is to connect the 8800NL directly to the computer which then allows access to the web GUI : a bit of a pain. Billion UK are Sales and Support are quick to respond.

In use
The TD-8817 modem that the 8800NL replaces had a SNR of 12.1dB with a download speed of around 6.15Mbps, whereas tweaking the SNR down to 7dB with the 8800NL has increased the download speed to around 7.6Mbps. I've left further tweaking until the connection settles down.

Conclusion
It's early days but as an ADSL2+ modem it works well on what has become a slightly difficult connection.

5.0 out of 5 stars and the partly inconsistent VDSL parameters published on Sure's homepage were useless. The solution is here, 29 Oct 2014
C. K. BAK (Alderney) - See all my reviews
The BIPAC 8800NL deserves 5 stars for its outstanding performance and extreme versatility, although versatility comes at a price. I bought it as part of a planned upgrade from ADSL to VDSL, and the initial connection to Jersey Telecoms ADSL2+ was done in minutes. But upgrading to VDSL2 from Sure/Guernsey was anything but smooth.
Quick start was unsuccessfull, and the partly inconsistent VDSL parameters published on Sure's homepage were useless. The solution is here:
Before quick start, go to Configuration/WAN services and edit ppp1.1. The items "Priority" and "802.1Q VLAN ID" must be untagged, and then quick start will establish the 40/5 internet connection.
Now you must manually select ppp1.1 as WAN interface anywhere relevant, i.e. virtual servers, DNS, DDNS e.t.c. On the virtual servers page you can edit the port forwarding for each server, but you are not allowed to change the WAN interface from pppoa to ppp1.1. So I had to delete more than 10 virtual servers and re-enter them with the ppp1.1 interface. Once set up, the performance seems fast and rock solid, including wake-up over internet.
My LAN is cabled and WiFi is only used bu guests, the signal strength is not impressing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Router Combo I have tested., 25 Oct 2014
The best one I have tested so far between others like Linksys and Netgear.
For example you have custom DDNS Server settings which I have not seen elsewhere unless flashing your router with DD-WRT.
VDSL with Sky working really well, no disconnection issues or whatsoever. No WLAN issues like other have complained, I have 5 wireless devices all connecting with no issues even if neighbours using the same channel. Interface once again is like a pro device as you have all sort of features from networking firewall rules, traffic shaping and security features.
I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good ADSL/Fibre Modem/Router. It will require a minimum of configuration which you can always check on the shipped manual to connect to your Fibre service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic router with VDSL modem!, 29 Aug 2014
Replaced a Billion BiPAC 7800DXL with this (to use in a small office instead of at home - also a fantastic router) and it's just as good. All of the same functions and facilities required for home use (other than a 5 gig wireless band which I never used anyway and it's only got 1 Gbit Ethernet port).

Great price for a VDSL/router combo and I've managed to lose two large boxes and a mass of cables for just this tiny router.

Wireless is just as good (perfect) with complete coverage and excellence speed over all three floors of a town house. Surprising considering it's only got internal antennas.

Sync speed is the same as with the Openreach modem used in place of this before, which I think is about the maximum possible on our line.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a 5 star review - only one minor dislike. Otherwise a great Fibre modem router!, 4 Aug 2014
Excellent Fibre router, excellent value for money.

I wanted a router with built in Fibre modem to avoid multiple devices and extra power supplies etc This device is perfect for that - once the Openreach engineer left, I unplugged the Openreach Modem and just plugged this directly into the Openreach faceplate.

Within a few minutes, using the easy setup wizard, I was up and connected to the internet.

I am using this with my Plusnet Fibre connection and consistently get 73Mbps download speed.

The Wifi connection is good too - I used the channel scanner to find an unused channel and selected that. I get a good signal all over the house and in the garden.

The only minor thing I don't like is that when you use MAC Address filtering, you can't specify a Device name for each entry - which makes it harder to manage the filter list. On all my previous Netgear routers and even the Sky router this facility was available. I find this omission a bit hard to understand, given just how flexible and configurable this device is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job nicely., 28 Oct 2014
Copes well with my noisy ADSL line - it acquires a connection quickly and reliably and the line stays connected (unlike my previous cheapy modem). The router picks up the various devices around the house (NAS, smart TV etc) reliably.
As a bonus, it will be able to handle an FTTC connection when BT finally get around to installing it in my area like they've been promising to and putting the date back over and over again for more than two years....do I sound bitter?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›