5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and unputdownable!!
I loved this book. It’s real page-turner that I honestly couldn’t put down. Jules Wake has masterfully combined a ménage a trios (complete with evil roommate) and mad stalker with summer cricket matches, movie premiers and a hero who’ll make your heart flutter.

If you’re looking for believable characters (you’ve got them),...
Published 6 months ago by Donnashc

3.0 out of 5 stars and in need of a good sub-editor; but it's very easy going
Feather-light, inexorably predictable, and in need of a good sub-editor; but it's very easy going, and if you've had a hard day at the office and are looking for something to lose yourself in on the journey home, you can't go too far wrong for two quid.
Published 5 months ago by Interstitial

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and unputdownable!!, 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Talk to Me (Paperback)

If you’re looking for believable characters (you’ve got them), funny – sometimes laugh out loud – dialogue (yep), exciting and interesting settings (definitely), a story that stands apart from a lot of today’s reads (you’ve got it), and book you can’t put down (check), then you won’t be disappointed.

Definitely a book that I’ll keep on my shelf forever and read over and over again – can’t wait for the next one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous read a real must have!!, 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Talk to Me (Paperback)
why are there not more than five stars??? i have never been an avid reader like some i know but this one...............well i couldnt put it down!! burned dinners, missed appointments......blimey soooooo not me!!! from the start it had me wanting more. the story is amazing. made me laugh, wonder whats next and cry. if you are looking for the perfect summer holiday read then this is it. failing that buy it for any female you know who loves a good love story thats interesting enough to make you want more. cant wait for her next books!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Talk to Me' is a journey of emotions in a beautiful package,, 5 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Talk to Me (Paperback)
I love this cover and find the colours and detailing, incredibly inviting. But within the pages, Jules Wake has gifted us with an INCREDIBLE DEBUT!, for this story has love, intrigue and danger

Olivia is hopelessly in love with Daniel and although he knows she exists, he has started dating her roommate and bitchy acquaintance Emily,
The story then starts to unfold as we follow Olivia through speed dating, the drama that event throws into her life and her quest to keep Daniel in her life.

I'm awestruck at this book, I can't believe all the directions that the story followed and yet it flowed fluidly, I loved how it surprised me and instantly pulled my attention into what proved to be a truly gripping story,

Olivia is a wonderful character and I just wish she could see what's happening around her.
Emily on the other hand, I actually hated her, she's a genuinely nasty piece of work.

'Talk to Me' is a journey of emotions in a beautiful package,

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has me hooked, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Talk to Me (Paperback)
Talk to Me is a debut novel by Jules Wake and wow, what a corker of a debut it was! While reading it I had laughed out loud, I cried, I nodded my head with understanding, I had goose bumps and actually, I haven't slept two nights because I so wanted to see what's going to happen and didn't want to put my kindle down. Sleeping? Phew. Who needs sleeping anyway.

Talk to Me tells a story of Olivia working in a PR agency. She's sharing a flat with Emily, who is in a relationship with Olivia's one of oldest and dearest friends Daniel. Why then Emily goes with Olivia to speed - dating one day is someone's guess, but well, it's Emily for you. But the girls are going to learn that speed - dating is not so innocent as it looks like. There is also the thing between Daniel and Olivia: yes, they are friends, they have been friends forever, but they also had feelings for each other although they have NEVER spoken about it with each other! Why oh why not?
As if Olivia had not enough problems, she is temporarily made a boss of Emily at work which doesn't make the things better. And then the things goes belly up.

Jules has created two very different characters here, the really good one and the really bad one. It is obvious from the beginning that our sympathy will be with Olivia and only Olivia because, let's say the truth, Emily was a real bitch. I hated her and nothing could change my feelings towards her, even the very teeny tiny act of mercy at the end of the book. She was not cute or funny, no, on the contrary, she was a nasty piece of work and there was not a single thing about her that I liked. And I couldn't understand why 1) Daniel, who was supposed to like Olivia so much allowed his girlfriend to treat her in this way and 2) why Olivia herself hasn't done anything about it. She was brilliant at work but totally helpless when it came to people. But other than that, I totally liked her, she felt very realistic, the way she behaved and did things that were not too forced or too pushed.

Daniel was okay. I can't say I loved him or I hated him but I had some issues with him. Why did he let Emily abuse Olivia so much and believe in all the things she said about Olivia without any doubt when he knew Emily for five minutes and Olivia his whole life? And in fact, how could he put up with Emily as a person?

So actually it looks like I had really some issues with the characters, didn't I? But altogether, and apart from Emily, the characters were great and written in a very good way. Perhaps not so vivid as I would wish for but all in all very enjoyable, different bunch of people.

I loved the banter between Olivia and Daniel, their will they / won't they. I wanted so much that "they will" and the lack of communication between them, or every moment that they were so close to tell about their feelings and were disrupted made me soooo desperate, really.
I had only problems when the narration suddenly switched into Daniel, because the whole book was written from Olivia's point of view in the first person and it was great, but then, from time to time, it switched into Daniel's first person's point of view and it had me a little distracted.

I know that some of the reviewers were not happy with the fact that this book seems to be a mix of contemporary romance, rom - com, chick - lit and thriller but well, to be honest, I don't have such problem. As long as the book makes me happy, and this was the case. Perhaps it's even better that it is such a mix, as we get there some unexpected things and situations which add some spice to the story.
In my opinion it only looks like a very innocent and brainless romance but there is much more to that, there is a lot of suspense and tension hidden. The thing with the stalker is introduced to us in a very slow but also hooking way and while it doesn't seem to be the main point of the story we know that it is somewhere hidden, that there is always this danger, that something is going to happen. I must say that I totally enjoyed the way Jules wrote about this, it didn't determined the story but I knew that it is there, from time to time we got the stalker or some obvious situations mentioned but it wasn't too much. Too much wouldn't be good and the tension was building till the grande finale. In between we have the scene with the cat which made me biting my nails, although to be honest, I would do also without this scene, but I understand that the story perhaps needed it to show the real danger.

The way Jules is telling the story is totally amazing, I felt as if someone sits next to me and whispers it to me, especially the bits almost at the end with our stalker. She has incredible way with words and the way she has written this bit gave me goose bumps. She offers a story with interesting plot, with twists and turns and also elements of real drama, that kept me hooked to every page and I still can't believe that it was a debut novel. I wouldn't miss it if I were you:)

Copy received from publisher in exchange for a review.

4.0 out of 5 stars stunning debut, 25 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Talk to Me (Paperback)
Olivia and Daniel have been friends for a long time and although both of them have feelings for one another, they never make these known to the other person – yes, a complete communication breakdown! When Daniel starts dating Olivia’s flatmate Emily, Olivia is more than upset and “agrees” to try out speed-dating (well, she is being pushed by her family to do so) which is organised by her crazy cousin. Will she meet the love of her life or will everything end in disaster?

Talk to Me is a very enjoyable read. I wasn’t immediately taken by the storyline, but after a few chapters this book certainly grew on me.

I initially couldn’t make my mind up about Olivia’s character. I had no idea why she let people take advantage of her so much. Although as soon as the plot thickens and the reader learns more about her background, it makes sense why the author portrayed her the way she did.

It isn’t often that I re-act so strongly to characters as I did with this book. I well and truly hated Emily (Olivia’s flatmate) and Ned (a potential date she meets at the speed-dating session). Both completely take Olivia for granted. I love it when authors are able to awake such strong emotions in me – clearly a sign of a superbly engaging writing style.

When I read about half of the book I thought I knew exactly where the plot would take me, but I was COMPLETELY wrong. There is a huge element of surprise hidden in the storyline.

Talk to Me is a stunning debut with humorous elements that will plaster a smile on your face and action-packed developments that will make you hold your breath.

5.0 out of 5 stars The one book to take on holiday with you., 9 May 2014
This review is from: Talk to Me (Choc Lit) (Kindle Edition)
“Talk to me” is a stunning début. Jules Wake taps into the Zeitgeist of the moment and delivers a novel that is contemporary and heart warming. It has the camaraderie and fashion sense of Sex in the City, but has the unique pulse of London.

“Talk to me” feels like it is fresh out from the pages of Hello magazine with it's references to latest fashion trends. I have to admit, I am a bit of a fashion philistine and I didn't know what a Manolo Blanik was before; but now I feel educated.

Jules Wake creates memorable characters that often say the most laugh out loud things- things I wish I would be able to say. Emily is the flatmate and not such a nice girl. Daniel is lovely, if not a bit misguided and Kate provides some antipodean charms.

Olivia and Daniel have problems getting past the starting gate. After a break up, Daniel starts to date Olivia Flatmate. That starts a whole series of events that make you wonder if they will ever come to their senses.

Although there are many soap opera reference and mentions of various cosmetics, there is more depth to it. There are some real consequence to Olivia's speed dating disaster and how easily it is for something that seems innocent at the time to turn life threatening.

Jules Wake's “Talk to me” is the next wave in chick lit – it is a brilliant novel that is funny, clever and romantic. Not since Sophie Kinsella and Helen Fielding, has there been such a coup d'etat for the genre. If you can only take one book with you on holiday this year- then this is that book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Talk to Me (Choc Lit) (Kindle Edition)
Would read this again and again and again. Have recommended to many friends as such a good read. I love how the story just hold on and makes you want to read more and more, making it hard to put the book down

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Talk to Me (Paperback)
I picked up this book to read on a quiet Sunday morning and didn't put it down until I had finished it. It was very easy to read but difficult to step away from. It was everything I love in a good romance book but with the added extra of a little comedy, mystery and suspense. I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a good romance novel and can't wait for the next offering from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Talk to Me (Choc Lit) (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book! Great plot and characters. Will definitely want to read her others - more soon, please!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 24 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Talk to Me (Choc Lit) (Kindle Edition)
REALLY ENJOYED THIS BOOK, HOWEVER I THINK THE ENDING WAS A LITTLE PREDICTABLE.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›