5.0 out of 5 stars Garden blooms
It's a gift enough to encounter a really, really good movie. But a good soundtrack makes it even better. And few soundtracks are as enjoyable as new indie wunderkind Zach Braff's "Garden State." A mix of golden oldies and fresh indie-pop, this is a mellowly sweet collection -- even without the movie.

Braff uses some truly wonderful songs like Frou...
Published on 1 Jan. 2006 by E. A Solinas

3.0 out of 5 stars The shins tracks were the best ones
Being honest I dont like the melancoly and slow singer songwriter type music so this didnt make a great impression. Maybe just buy the two shins tracks you like instead from Itunes. (heaven forbid)
Published on 20 Oct. 2005 by Rory O'brien

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Garden blooms, 1 Jan. 2006
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Braff uses some truly wonderful songs like Frou Frou's fragile "Let Go," Coldplay's quietly downbeat "Don't Panic," and Thievery Corporation's elegantly exotic "Lebanese Blonde." There is also singer/actress Bonnie Somerville's bittersweet "Winding Road," and country-rock newcomer Cary Brothers' dreamy "Blue Eyes."

The best of the soundtrack are the Shins, who get double exposure with the eerily sweet "New Slang" and resonating "Caring is Creepy," and Iron & Wine's lovely cover of "Such Great Heights" (originally by the Postal Service). But Braff also includes older stuff, like Simon & Garfunkel's aching "Only Living Boy in New York" and Nick Drake's surprisingly joyous, upbeat "One of These Things First."

Where Wes Anderson uses beloved oldies, Zach Braff seems to prefer some of the more unusual, eclectic rock and pop. Though it was hard to get some of the music rights on an indie-film budget, Braff won over several artists by showing them where their songs would go -- situated in scenes where they have plenty of impact. Braff doesn't just include a list of his favorite songs, but chooses appropriate music.

But even without the movie, the soundtrack is a good listen. Alt-country, gentle indie-pop, and mellow-ish rock share a quirky, poignant note. Iron & Wine's cover of "Such Great Heights" is the one questionable choice; while it's a good cover, it can't measure up to the Postal Service original (the original was used in the trailer). But taken by itself, it's still a lovely song.

The beautiful music of "Garden State's" soundtrack can serve as a poignant reminder of the movie, or can stand on its own as a good collection of rich music including Zero 7, the Shins, and Frou Frou. Solid collection accompanying a solid movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic soundtrack for a fantastic film, 20 May 2005
By A Customer
I bought the soundtrack before I saw the film - I kept trying to get to the cinema but the fates conspired against me. I liked the look of the CD so just went ahead and got that anyway. So I'd fallen in love with the music before I fell in love with the film. It works as a standalone compilation of music because it has such a consistent mood running through it. Unlike some compilations which may have great songs on them, but jar when they're up against each other.
I finally saw the film on DVD the other night, and it's made me appreciate this CD even more. They're both close to perfect for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The soundtrack to my life, 7 Oct. 2004
Erica Anderson (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
I recently "Garden State" over the summer and loved the film. Zach Braff's directorial debut was a good mix of poignancy and comedy. What really propelled the film for me was the music that played a large role in the film which is rare in films. Most music in films are relegated to the background. Not in "Garden State". Music here sets the tone of the mood of each scene in the film. The soundtrack is one of the best soundtracks I have heard in years. The music is a mix of electronica, folk, and indie pop. The results is very moody and enjoyable. I find myself listening to this wonderful cd constantly. It has become my personal soundtrack to my life, especially when I listen to it going to and from work. I particularly fell in love with The Shins' "New Slang". I was hooked the second after Natalie Portman's character put her headphones on Zach's ears. I found the song irresistably catchy. Her character Sam was right when she said that these songs would change your life. They certainly changed mine. All the songs on this soundtrack is wonderful. I found myself rediscovering old familiar songs like Coldplay's 'Don't Panic" and Frou Frou's "Let Go". I also enjoyed "Fair" by Remy Zero. I thought it was a beautiful ballad. Very moving. The Nick Drake track "One of These Things First" is excellent too. There was not one single song on the entire sountrack that I did not like. I loved all the songs even the Zero 7 song since I am not really a big fan of Zero 7. I think it is apparent that Zach took the care of picking the songs that would provide the backdrop to his film. The songs just flowed perfectly together. "Garden State" is by far the best soundtrack I have heard this year and I heard quite a few excellent soundtracks this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars i'll never get bored, 16 Feb. 2005
I not only enjoyed the movie immensely but i have had the soundtrack for a few weeks now and still not sick of it. It's all i'm listening to. Great choices from The Braff, well done I say. Everyone i've played it to thinks it's ace, so i just had to say something here. A song for every mood. I'm gonna be buying the individual artists albums as soon as i get paid!

5.0 out of 5 stars Garden State soundtrack- Fantastic..., 12 Jan. 2005
I recently went to see 'Garden state' at the cinema and was hugely impressed. It was just so apt and moving.
What struck me most was the fantastic music on the soundtrack. The music played such a fundamental part of the film I had to buy it (from Amazon I must add!)
The soundtrack in one word: FANTASTIC....
Why?
Well, every song is sheer quality from Coldplay to Simon and Garfunkel, The Shins and the amazing Frou Frou 'Let Go' which for me epitomises the film's message which is to just enjoy the 'infinte abyss' which is life...
I have gone out and bought The Shins album which is also class - so the soundtrack too has broadened my music tastes!!
Zach Braff ('Scrubs') not only directed, starred and wrote the screenplay for this film, he was the music director too.
He has not only made a quality film but a quality soundtrack...
GO BUY...you WONT be disappointed....PROMISE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Familiar ( In a New Way), 28 July 2005
I just want to thank Mr Braff for introducing me to this music. I've been buying stuff from Amazon for years and have never felt drawn to review before. I'm just so happy at finding another road less travelled. I'd stopped listening to Sub Pop about ten years ago and was getting quite frantic looking for new musical avenues to explore - I thought I'd heard everything there was. Of course I knew the obvious ones on this album( I can even forgive the inclusion of Coldplay - I do like them but already have the tune.)However my heart has been lost to the Shins and on the strength of Garden State I am going to get all they have to offer. If you have heart enough to enjoy the film Garden State, you'll love the soundtrack. Suffice to say I am only taking one CD on holiday with me, and this is it.
I know I'm one of thousands jumping on the Shins bandwagon, (why didn't I know about them before?) but they are so good I will swallow my pride. And the rest of the soundtrack is up there too. This new context gives new lungs to S and G's 'Only Living Boy...' as well. I already have The Shins 'New Slang' on repeat - and I only ever do that with The Smiths. This is familiar in a new way. It's like coming home but without the arguments. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning soundtrack!!!, 20 Aug. 2005
The brilliance that is Garden State the movie would not be quite complete without this superb soundtrack. This album will introduce people to music they have perhaps never listened to before and it will certainly leave everyone with ears wanting more.
It begins with some familiar music in the form of Coldplay with 'Don't Panic' but then heads off to introduce the amazing The Shins who feature twice on the soundtrack. Their song 'New Slang' is a feature song in the movie and is one of the stand out tracks on the album. The brilliant Zero 7 song 'In The Waiting Line' oozes cool chill out sounds and is one of my favourite tracks. Colin Hay sings 'I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You' - a moving accoustic ballad with lyrics to make you cry. 'Blue Eyes' by the Cary Bros enjoys amazing vocals and 'Fair' by Remy Zero is another stunning acoustic ballad with a hautingly beautiful chorus. Next comes 'Lebanese Blonde', a funky, indian sounding piece which makes me feel I should be in a dance club. Back in familiar territory with 'The Only Living Boy In New York' by Simon and Garfunkel - brilliance. Such Great Heights is performed movingly and again acoustically by Iron And Wine - stunning. The stand out track is Frou Frou with Let Go - a masterpiece in vocal beauty with a beat to die for! The album wraps up with Bonnie Somerville and Winding Road a song filled with hope and a beautiful way to leave this amazing musical journey.
This is an album everyone should own simply because it is so beautiful and melodic. I defy anyone to dislike it - even my own mother!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Soundtrack of the year, 22 Sept. 2004
Erica Anderson (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
I recently saw "Garden State" starring Zach Braff of the US show "Scrubs". It was a cute film of a young man who literally takes a break from various anti-depressant medications to go home to his mother's funeral. The film was a nice mix of comedy and poignancy but what really made this film special was the beautiful soundtrack that Zach put together himself. It contains a wonderful mix of trip hop (Thievery Corporation, Zero 7), indie pop (The Shins), and classic folk rock (Nick Drake, Simon & Garfunkel). I find myself listening to this cd day in and day out. It has become a personal soundtrack to me. I especially loved The Shin's "New Slang", an addictively infectious pop song that I can't get out of my head. I also love the gorgeous ballad "Fair" by Remy Zero. Listening to the song simply brings tears to my eyes. It is emotionally moving just as the movie is. I am a huge fan of Coldplay and "Don't Panic" is definitely one of my favorite Coldplay songs of all time. "Don't Panic" is a great way to open up this cd and the movie. All the songs on this cd is wonderful. There wasn't one song on this cd I didn't like. This is one of those cds that I strongly recommend getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime Soundtrack, 11 April 2006
Saw the film, liked the music, bought the CD.
This collection of tunes has turned into a soundtrack of my own. Constantly playing this music at the moment, this will define April 2006 for me. The tracks are chilled and crisp and have got me checking out the artists involved, which has put another slant on my collection.
Higher highlights on the CD are certainly Zero 7, Frou Frou and Bonnie Sommerville.
Get this and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely great, 9 Jan. 2006
One of the best soundtrack albums I have listened to. All the songs are fantastic, with 'Fair', 'New Slang' and 'Let Go' being my favourites. It also introduced me to a great band, The Shins, which I was not really familiar with beforehand.
It's on permanent loop on my ipod, and everytime I listen to this CD it takes me back to all the beautiful scenes in the film.
I highly recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Ost: Garden State [VINYL]
Ost: Garden State [VINYL] by Various (Vinyl - 2014)
Click for more info
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available