4.0 out of 5 stars Science Fiction - Just like My Raymond's Brother would have Liked, 5 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Power of Six: 6+1 Science Fiction Short Stories (Kindle Edition)
My Raymond’s brother Cyril always liked the Science Fiction stuff. He always had his ruddy head buried in an Isaac Asminov or Arthur C Clarke. He liked that Ray Bradbury as Well. Robots, rockets, computers, It all fascinated him. Probably because he worked with radios, valves and transistors, so he felt close to technology and that. Radios were pretty futuristic things in those days.
The thing is, he lives in a care home now, and has lost the ability to follow a good story. It will return to him. And
I would imagine that he would enjoy “The Power of Six” once he got into it. I will give him a copy when he gets to the other side. I can imagine him having a bit of a grumble at first. Like he used to grumble about Star Trek after they got rid of Captain Kirk and got that bald Yorkshireman. “They are always messing about on that hollow deck,” he would say, “its about time that they got down on a few planets and had one or two proper adventures,” But then, after a while, the imagination got to him, and he started to enjoy it. I dare say he became a little bit obsessed. What is it about men and ruddy “Star Trek?”
Any Road, the stories in “The Power of Six” are more about computerised simulations of reality than about adventures. But they are imaginative, entertaining, and thought provoking. Like me really. Well, they made me think anyway. How do we know what is real and and what isn’t? Thats a ruddy good question when you think about it. I’m not sure that I know the answer. I’m not even sure if I’m real. I used to be sure when I was alive. Now that I am dead, I can see that I wasn’t as ruddy clever as I thought I was. Nobody knows anything really. I suppose that reality depends on your perspective.
In some of the stories in the Power of Six, the characters believe that what is happening to them is real, but then they find out that it isn’t. Or they don’t realise that it isn’t, but you do whilst you are reading the story. Which is ruddy double funny, because you knew that it was a story when you started it, but you accepted the reality of the story world only to have old Nick Rossis turn it all inside out. It makes my ruddy head spin.
Even the poor old war veteran, who tells the people in the pub that he has actually fired a few ray guns in a real interplanetary war... is he telling a story, having a story told about him, having a story told about him telling a story or what? In the end there is a right old twist and you don’t know what on earth to believe. My Raymond’s brother Cyril would have like that. It would have made his ruddy head spin an’all.
Then there’s the one about having a personality totally different to your own taking over your body and giving you a totally different perspective on everything. My nephew Michael could tell you a thing or two about that. Its interesting though. Look around you, the next time that you are in a crowd. How many people are actually in control of themselves, and how many are being operated by dead relatives or glowing orbs? Or are they really there at all? Could it all be a computer stimulation?
If you like thinking thoughts like that, then you should definitely get your hands on a copy of “The power of six. Whilst you are reading it you can think them sort of thoughts to your hearts delight.
And there are a couple of bonus bits in it too. There’s a story about a universe creation game by one of Nicholas’s friends and a bit out of his Perseus trilogy. I would definitely recommend buying a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating stories, 9 Dec. 2014
Fascinating stories from the prolific mind of Nicholas Rossis, whom I "met" through a virtual book club. I found his prose exceptionally good, so steeped in culture with plenty of references. You can also notice Nicholas' Meditarranean upbringing, for example in referencing to family values. This is science fiction with a heart. Stylistically very cinematic - you can picture the action taking place on the big screen. I am not an expert in sci-fi but this selection of short stories is the perfect starting point for someone like me. A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars what is real, 23 May 2014
I brought this book after a friend who enjoyed it suggested I read it as she said it looks at science ,religion and magic in a similar way to my own Skendleby series. I don't usually read short stories but was glad I read these. They are intelligent ,engaging and surprising and highly readable. At times elements of M john Harrison's Nova swings series came to mind. Not really possible to review the plots without giving too much away but the tales have an elegant denouement and I will move on to the author's longer works.Highly enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading., 26 July 2014
I follow Nicholas Rossis' blog (I'm also a fellow member of the Rave Reviews Book Club) so when he tipped us all the wink that his book of short stories, The Power of Six, was on offer I bagged a copy.

There are, six stories in this book plus two longish excerpts from a couple of full length books: one from first of Mr Rossis' Persus trilogy and one by another author, Ryan Schneider, called Eye Candy.

In fact, I really enjoyed these stories. All six are intelligently conceived and thoughtful in execution. They deal with the issues humanity will always face, no matter how advanced our science becomes, such as the difference between fantasy and reality and the nature of loneliness. A particular favourite, for me, has to be the Hand of God, which was just brilliant.

The standard is impressively high, and as a taster of the author's work they do the job. I will certainly be downloading the first book of in the Persus trilogy at some point.

The formatting is good and the standard of presentation was certainly high enough for me - if there are any editing issues, I haven't noticed. Recommended, a well earned four stars, teetering on the brink of five.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking short stories!, 12 Jun. 2014
I really enjoyed discovering this set of short science fiction stories. They are all individual little gems with an interesting leading character, a good plot and a twist in the ending. I am surprised how the author manages to achieve so much in so few pages!
Despite the brevity of the stories they are quite thought provoking and I read all of them in just a couple of hours. One really made me chuckle as well with its ending.
This is quality writing and I recommend this book to everyone, including those who perhaps don't normally read science fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Six Entertaining Shorts, 31 May 2014
I purchased this book from Amazon after discovering the writer via The Rave Reviews Book Club.

A great little collection of short stories, which cover a wide range such as sci - fi, time travel, to life through a puppy's eyes. Very engaging and entertaining. I like short stories for dipping in and out of when I'm short for time. This is an author I would read again, and I intend to take a look at his novel Pearseus fairly soon.

The structure of each short is good, and the characters well introduced. There are a few minor editing issues, but on the whole well proofread. I offer four out of five stars for The Power of Six.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful anthology of sci-fi magic!, 15 May 2014
The Power of Six amazed me. Being a sci-fi fan, I’ve read a multitude of short stories from the masters of the genre, like Philip K. Dick and Brian Aldiss and I was dumbfounded by the similarities in places. For example, “Simulation Over” might as well have been written by either of the aforementioned sci-fi geniuses! Nicholas Rossis engages the reader with unexpected twists and turns, life-like characters and endings that give you quite a jolt! It is hard to pick favorites as each story was unique and equally entertaining but I must say that I particularly enjoyed “The Sentry”. I found it utterly delightful and brilliant!

I’ve read the first two books of this author’s Pearseus series and so, I was confident that I’d picked up a book that was bound to demonstrate excellence of both thought and language. Yet, nothing could have prepared me for the originality and the surprise factor in some of these stories. My only grievance with the Power of Six is its size! I would have preferred it to be called The Power of 10 or even 20 - but maybe next time! I’m really looking forward to reading more of this genre from this author! Nicholas Rossis has truly excelled with this book and his talent for the particular genre just shines through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Six of the best!, 14 May 2014
Chris Graham (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Not only are each of these entertaining short stories interesting and imaginative takes of various scenarios, the author tempts the reader further with an extract from his book Pearseus AND an extract from the book Eye Candy by fellow author Ryan Schneider.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting mix of science fiction based short stories An ..., 7 Nov. 2014
Jack Eason (Beccles, Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
An interesting mix of science fiction based short stories, from the fertile minds of both Nicholas C. Rossis and Amos M. Carter that suspends belief. Well done gentlemen.