Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Although this light bulb is described as "Candle" this can only be because of its shape, and not because of the lighting effect it gives.

If you ignore the high price tag it's got cheap running costs (consuming only 5w) but it really does give an impressive amount of illumination (the claims are 30w equivalent but it seems more to me).

Is this a good thing? Well, it depends on the effect you're looking for. For example, if you simply want to create some (energy efficient) gentle ambience, then no. However, if you're after bright illumination with low running costs, then yes. I'm currently using this in a bedroom bedside lamp but I think it's too bright for the purpose I seek (which I feel should be something more gentle before I go to sleep) as it gives quite a strong, focussed beam of white light towards the ceiling and from there it reflects downwards.

To try to give a better indication of what I'm talking about I've uploaded a couple of photos for comparison (unfortunately, I'm no photographer and the auto setting on my camera neutralises some of the effect but it still gives a good enough idea to show what I'm talking about).

It would be nice if this bulb was dimmable but I'm afraid it's not. I like it in a general sense, I just need to find a better location for it, it's just too bright for its current purpose.
review image review image review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have used this bulb to replace a tungsten 40W Golf Ball bulb and whilst I notice that it's only supposed to replace a 30W bulb, to my eyes, it looks every bit as bright as the remaining 40W bulb which I have left in the adjoining light fitting.

You may wonder why I used a candle bulb to replace a gold ball bulb (or indeed, may not be wondering at all!), however the design of the light shade on this particular light means that even a tungsten golf ball bulb is quite a tight fit and therefore, an LED equivalent (which tends to be slightly larger) is unlikely to fit. I am happy to report that this candle bulb fits perfectly. If you are looking for it to replace existing candle bulbs, it is virtually the same size, maybe just a tiny bit wider.

However, it does have some downsides. I note that whilst this bulb is rated for 25,000 hours, it is only suitable for 12,500 switching cycles. As with any light bulb, I am not able to verify either of these figures, other than that the bulb still works at the time of writing this review, but in order to get the full expected lifespan out of the bulb, it is going to need to be left switched on for an average of 2 hours each time. Again, I feel that this is poor as I tend to switch off the lights when leaving a room, even if it is only for 10 minutes. This means that my lights tend to get switched on and off quite regularly and so this bulb is likely to fail prematurely. Rating a bulb for a much higher number of switching cycles is not impossible either, as the Philips Master range of bulbs (albeit GU10 versions, although I imagine all their range is similar) are rated for 50,000 switching cycles.

The colour of light output from this bulb is also slightly more blue-white than the more yellow colour of tungsten or halogen, but I would think that as long as all the bulbs in the fitting were the same, it wouldn't be noticeable and indeed the colour of light wouldn't be unbearable. It is definitely much warmer than any CFL bulbs I've ever used.

Accordingly, whilst I don't have many table lamps and other lamps which use candle bulbs in my house, I would definitely consider this bulb as a contender (albeit a reasonably expensive one as the pricing is similar to Philips Master range) if I was looking to do a mass conversion of tungsten to LED (which I'm not, as my focus is currently on the hideously inefficient halogen GU10s).
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This 5W E14 candle-shape LED bulb by TCP produces an excellent 330 lumen of warm white light from its 5 Watt input. 3000K is slightly 'cooler' (bluer) than an incandescent lamp (which can vary from 3000K to less than 2200K depending on the supply voltage) but not objectionably so, and nowhere near the colour of a 'daylight' lamp (6500K). The light is well dispersed and much brighter than the Ikea equivalent (4W, 200 lumen) I compared it with in some reading lamps. My other reference, the slightly larger Auraglow candle (4W, 200 lumen) produces a similar quality of light to the TCP but is not quite as well dispersed.

As usual for an LED the light is instant full brightness correct colour, and will stay that way for most of the life of the lamp. It does not suffer premature ageing from frequent On/Off cycles, unlike the fluorescent types which die a little every time they are switched on. BUT, do not attempt to use a dimmer on this type of LED, as the ballast circuit in the bulb will very quickly fuse and might possibly damage the dimmer.

However what I noticed most about this TCP bulb is how very hot it runs compared with the other two, only 1W more but much too hot to touch. The Auraglow (big heat-sink) can be handled immediately after switching off, not so the TCP. Heat is the main enemy of all LEDs, and the shorter expected TCP lifespan of 25,000 hours (3 years if left on 24/7) vs the more usual 30,000+ seems to be significant and could be related to this higher running temperature.

But the TCP light really is excellent, and if it is being used intermittently, and in a well ventilated holder, then it should last and will deserve 5*. Only time will tell how good it actually is. Watch this space for the next four or five years.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The lamp ( bulb) gave a good bright light, was small and compact and fitted into my bedside lamp well. Looking at a glance just like a normal candle style lamp, on closer inspection you notice it has an led at its heart.
The light was instant on switching on (rather than the warming up to full power some low energy lamps have ).
It is not dimmerable and as the info states has a 25000 hours life span, using 5w of power to replace an old 30w so will be a saving to run, though it is too new to see any difference on the bill yet.
Will revisit this review after a while because these are just my first impressions, as others have said a long life light bulb can't really be reviewed until a long time has passed, but on its first day,I am impressed with it.
My eyes my eyes..

Ok to explain.

I of course did not read the packaging because who does right so i was not aware at 1st that this was not dimmable. So off i go and replace my bedside table bulb with this one and turn it on and woah bright as anything, then i touched the base and nothing and touched the base again and it flashed like strobe lights in my eyes, i was seeing spots for a good 20 minutes.

So i cant use it in a touch lamp, my bad, so off i trotted to the high street to buy a normal lamp and then put the bulb in that.

My bedroom has gone from dim to dazzling, so bright, makes it so much easier for me to read at night too.

I would definitely buy this again..
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We were intending to save up and re-bulb the whole house with LED lights, so when this bulb offered we went for it. The 5 Watt LED Candle light itself is bright white but still has a worm feel to it. More light than a standard 30W we'd say, higher colour temperature too. Currently it is in use in lamp near where our kids do their homework of evening. The area is probably better illuminated now than before. While some have commented on its looks being ‘odd’, we’re not much fussed by that – it seems well made and reasonably durable and that’s what counts.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I received this item courtesy of the Amazon vine programme.

I am in the process of replacing every bulb in my home with LED bulbs as in the long term the monetary savings are huge. The initial outlay is expensive but worth every penny, so when I was offered this bulb to review I jumped at the chance.

So far my experience has mainly been with Philips which is an excellent brand so I was interested to see what TCP offered. I placed this light in my hall as that was where this fitting suited. The bulb is slightly bigger than the hallogen counterpart but fitted without any problems. There is no heat from these bulbs so they are much easier to change - no worrying if you're replacing a burnt out bulb and the light switch is on - we have a lot of lights with switches in two different places so this has happened to me more than once.

The actual light is brighter and has a warmer tone than the bulb I replaced. The beam is broader than the old bulb as well. Some other reviewers seem to have expected this light to be quite dim and soft as it is a candle bulb but don't be caught out by that - it's the wattage (or in the case of LED) the equivalent wattage that you need to consider not the shape of the bulb which is solely for decorative purposes.

I would have no hesitation in buying more of these and would recommend this bulb to everyone.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 18 September 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have steadily been replacing conventional lighting in my house with various energy saving lamps. Over the years the technology has improved and the prices have continued to fall. I have several wall lights and have purchased several makes of LED lamps over the years.

The one down-side of my experience with LED lamps is I've had several of them fail. I have sometimes managed to obtain a replacement from the vendor, but it really cheeses me off when the lamp expires just after the guarantee runs out. This lamp is rated to last for 25,000 hours which seems to equate to around ten years.

With reference to this particular lamp, I like the colour temperature (3000K (Kelvin)). I find the brightness easily comparable with standard 30 Watt lamps, in fact I'd say this is closer to a 50 Watt bulb. This LED lamp fitted straight in to my wall light. It is rather bright but it's shielded by a semi-opaque shade, so no problems there.

As other reviewers have commented, the price of this type of lighting can seem rather prohibitive, and many have done the maths to show how money will be saved over time. As mentioned earlier I hope that this product will provide a better experience than I've had with some other makes of lamp I've purchased.

I can't find out how long they are guaranteed for, but I really hope it will last for the expected 10 years.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 8 September 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A typical tungsten bulb is around 2700K in colour and this is 3000K so it is a whiter light than a typical bulb. I favour whiter light as you see colours a little less distorted, however, it isn't going to be to everybody's liking. If you want subdued mood lighting then this may be a bit clinical for you.

If you want whiter light for a kitchen, bathroom etc, then this is a good replacement and the low energy consumption will benefit the fuel bill in the long run.
on 29 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a cheaper alternative to the more well known product this works nicely, unlike many of the more expensive bulbs this is instant and nice and bright, with just enough warmth, though it is only just over the line between white and warm. The bulb's glass isn't opaque so it is blinding to look at it, especially in a bedside lamp, so if it is in your field of vision whilst reading a book or watching a film it's better turned off, this is the only drawback really compared to the opaque glasses.

The bulb is very strange in appearance, with a solid looking inverted pyramidal cone, so compared to a conventional small Edison it has a larger surface of light to reflect. The glass itself is thick and appears strong, so there is little chance of it breaking if the lamp is knocked over.

The price is a strange point, as you can get Philips multi-pack micro screws for around the same price as this, with better energy efficiency, they may be singularly shorter in life, but the number in the package make up for this and surpass this TCP bulb. It's nice to have a bulb you know you won't have to (hopefully) change for years, but for value for money the multi buy Philips win for me.