Resolution: HD|Style Name: Outdoor|Change

on 16 February 2014
I purchased two of these cameras after my business was burgled 2 weeks ago. I was sat watching TV at home when I received an alert email to my mobile of movement in my office (I have set my phone to sound an alarm if an email from the camera comes in). I immediately viewed the camera and was horrified to see live footage of another burglar ransacking my office and stealing IT equipment. I have uploaded this video and feel free to view it!

I immediately dialled 999 and within minutes my business was surrounded, the burglar was arrested and the stolen items recovered. The recorded footage was more than enough for the police to charge the perpetrator and he is now languishing in prison. If it were not for this camera, I am sure that I would not have known about the break in until I arrived at work to find everything gone. In my opinion, these is the best security camera, with excellent image quality via mobile or computer - faultless and so easy to set up. I have used other devices and they were no where near as good. 5 STARS!!!!!!!!!!

An Article was published in the national press about it : [...]
1515 comments|224 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2015
When I first saw this cam described (I'm not sure where - I am a gadget addict and read a lot of gadget blogs), I thought it sounded too good to be true. It turns out, it does exactly what it promises - perfectly. The HD quality and the infra-red are surprisingly clear. I am NOT a tech expert, but I was easily able to set up the camera and to tweak the settings. My camera is (currently) residing in my hallway, pointing towards my front door. I have it set to auto-record at different (set) times during the day and night (the menu for these settings is a model of clarity and user-friendliness). If the camera is activated, I get an email within seconds and a video is available for viewing straight away (on my phone or PC). These videos are stored on the cloud in my own, password-protected account for 7 days (free!) and can be downloaded and stored, permanently, on my own system. I don't know why I'm going into such detail - it's all there (and more) in the product description - but I just find hard to believe that this product actually lives up to its hype. In short, this is a great product and works perfectly - I have recommended Ycam to everyone I know (I have become a Ycam bore!) - if there were more STARS available, I would have no hesitation in awarding them. Incidentally, I recently upgraded my TV cable service and had to change routers. This meant a change of router ID and password. As a result, the camera had to be re-installed. Because I am not very tech-savvy, I had to contact Ycam for help. The assistance was immediate, friendly and effective. When I (finally) got around to following the instructions, I was back up and running perfectly. By the way, I have no affiliation with the company or any of its associates, and did not receive any inducement to promote it - I am just a very satisfied customer and wanted to share the joy. Hope this review wasn't too long (or boring).
on 7 September 2015
This is a good, simple home security solution. I had the HomeMonitor HD up and running in about 5 minutes. Hardly any configuration, just very clear instructions and all the bits you need. I'd expect those less confident with technology would be OK getting this working on their own.

The night vision, picture quality, motion detection, iOS apps, hardware and customer support are all very good. When I had a query for customer support, they came back to me within a couple of hours. The fact this is a camera plus a service (records pictures to the cloud upon detecting motion, and notifying you straight to your smartphone) makes it extremely good value.

It loses a star for two reasons:
1) When viewing the picture live, the camera sends the video stream up to the internet, and then back down again - even if you are at home, viewing the picture on the same LAN as the camera
2) Presumably because of (1), the picture or app freezes after 10-15 minutes of viewing. So you can't have it streaming the picture for any decent length of time

Originally I purchased as a baby monitor, but quickly discovered it's tightly tailored for home security. My two points above mean it's no good for watching sleeping children. However if you need something simple for home security, I'd be happy to recommend it.
on 3 January 2015
As all reviews mention, rain sets it off continuously. So the warning function of it is pretty much redundant from the start. So the only real value this camera has is recording evidence. A neighbour had an attempted break in during the night so I checked my footage for a suspect. Sure enough it had spotted someone in the vicinity at the time. Quite exciting. Naturally I forwarded the footage to the police, who were grateful but wanted an uncompressed, higher quality version. It was frustrating to have to say "sorry the compressed fuzzy footage is all there is".

Although the image is fairly large, the frame rate during the day is 14 frames a second, at night this drops to 8 frames a second. Which is poor and creates a rather disappointing video. The night video I referred to was encoded at a bitrate of 500 kb/second which is very low. For comparison youtube recommends a bitrate of 5000 kb/second for 720p video, that's 10 times as much data for a clear picture. There's 2 quality settings for the upload and this is the higher of the two. It's only when you start playing back recorded footage you find this stuff out.

So the quality of the video is actually pretty poor. It has to be really, because it's being uploaded to the web. This is a bit of a flaw in the whole product. While you can see a person, trying to identify them is going to be pretty hard, unless they happen to get very close to the camera. Putting one up high to cover a garden for example isn't going to be all that useful.

It's a bit of a cliche but anything labelled Pro is not professional and this is the case here. HD is a bit misleading too. Other than the technical flaws, it has some nice features. It's a pretty simple process to install and use. It does seem reliable and simply having it stuck to the house provides a deterrent. The sound is good, it'll pick up a conversation from across the street, just as long as there's no wind.
11 comment|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 July 2015
I've been using for around six months now, at first I was very pleased with the camera, but over time I'm a little dissapointed. The problem been that it can be very irritating what the camera records, I've tried several settings, as the functionality and setup is great via the web or app, but even then it may get activated for several reasons?... Rain, snow, hail, light changes, birds, spiders etc etc... Which makes it annoying, as some days / nights I can have several hundred recordings?
Positioned in a private alleyway (only access to rear) I was hoping to capture any unwanted visitors, but because it gets activated frequently, it's difficult to keep a track on people or weather!

I've tried lowering the sensitivity etc, but as I go through the gate/alleyway daily, it sometimes hasn't recorded myself? So forced to tweak sensitivity back up.

The setup is great been able to choose an area to activate the motion, or even add 2 trip area's, I've dropped back to one to try & eliminate false triggers...

The app is great giving a thumbnail of capture, and an email also contains thumbnail image, just can't understand why the web log in doesn't?? As makes filtering out unwanted recordings when you need to physically watch each recording? Not practical with several hundred!

But with the app & emails it's gets easier to spot when you've recorded a stray bird!!!

The thumbnail would be far better if it showed an image from say 50% into the recording rather than the start, as the thumbnail usually doesn't give an idea of what's been captured, but say 5 secs later an object appears!!

I've persisted with the camera, as I'm keeping fingers crossed, that with ota firmware updates the issues I'm having improve!

Therefore 3 stars for now, but I'm sure with a tweak or 2, 5 stars would be possible!!
on 14 August 2014
It's pretty good with decent image quality and night vision. I use it for monitoring the living area of my father's house where he has carers. There are a couple of flaws in my view but neither are deal breakers and I've just ordered a 2nd one. The sound quality isn't great - a bit tinny and prone to being harsh with louder noises, although it is very sensitive picking up the faintest noise which is good. The second thing is more about the movement detection software that's online - movement detection is triggered when something crosses the perimeter of your defined area and continues while there is movement within the area. The problem is if that something stops moving for a few seconds, then recording stops and when the thing starts moving again, it doesn't start recording because it need to cross the perimeter to trigger recording. It will record them leaving and a few seconds before leaving because they cross the perimeter and it records a few seconds up to the point it was triggered but they could be doing all sorts of things within the area for a long time and that won't get recorded. In about 7 weeks it's been installed I've had no problems with it dropping connections etc.
on 21 February 2014
After a previous burglary I bought 2 of these cameras for my office. I was at home when I received an alert email to my mobile of movement in my office (I have set my phone to sound an alarm if an email from the camera comes in). I immediately viewed the camera and was horrified to see live footage of a burglar ransacking my office and stealing IT equipment. I have uploaded this video and feel free to view it!

11 comment|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 August 2014
Got this a few weeks ago and installed outside pointing at my private driveway, where we park the cars.

Positives
- very easy to configure and set up
- very easy to use from PC, IPhone, IPad
- very reliable (only had to reset it once in 5-6 weeks, and I think it would have sorted itself out)
- always gets a strong signal
- very easy to administer remotely through the web interface
- pretty decent picture both by day and by night (this is very impressive actually) ... although more resolution would be welcome of course

Negatives
- the power cable and the mounting system. To mount this on an outside wall you have to drill a hole through the wall straight behind it, and run either a power-over-ethernet or the 12V power cable through that hole. I do not have a POE router, so I had to run the power cable. Sounds straightforward? Drill a little hole and pull the cable through?
Yes, would be, if the power cable (which is hard fixed to the power supply so it can only go through one way) did not have a great big fixed 'magnet' on it around 3 inches from the end!! So you either have to make a massive hole all the way through which might not leave enough wall around it to fix the mount, or else try to drill a wider channel only on one side of the brick, enough to accommodate the 'magnet' part way, and get the socket clear on the other side. This turns a 5 minute job into a 30 minute hassle.
- the web software is a bit primitive. There could be a lot more sophistication in the options for motion detection.
- the IPhone/IPad software does not have all of the features of the web interface, so they are even more primitive
- more resolution (e.g. 1080p) would be welcome

In conclusion I am very happy with it, and I would buy it again, but it could do with a few minor improvements.
on 29 July 2014
I've been running these on two separate sites for several weeks now and they have been absolutely superb.
Site one BB is (9.5/0.45 Mbps down/upload) and is supporting one camera set on HD.
Site two BB is (6.3/0.35 Mbps down/upload) and is supporting two camera set on Standard definition.
Once you have motion detection adjusted these are fit and forget items that do the job as advertised.
My previous setup included two Y-Cam cameras feeding into a PC that was running 24/7 to manage the motion detection and storage of video files.
Have now been able to dump all of that and let HomeMonitor take up the slack.
Support is excellent and very responsive.
The only improvement would be to get rid of all the spiders and moths that love IR Cameras :).
on 25 January 2014
For years people have been wondering when a company will release a home surveillance solution that allows the recorded footage to be stored online without having to pay through the roof for it. Say hello to Y-Cam's HomeMonitor HD. Priced at £149.99 it is a little more expensive that the Dropcam HD but comes in much cheaper than Logitech's 750n Indoor Master System. One of the best features abut the HomeMonitor HD is that straight out of the box it comes with 7 days free cloud storage - absolutely no subscription or payment needed.
Whats In The Box?
- 1x HomeMonitor HD Camera
- 1x Metal stand/wall/ceiling mount
- 1x 3m/10ft power supply with UK/US/EU plug attachments
- 1m/3ft network Ethernet cable
- 2x 1-inch screws
- 2x fluted plastic wall anchors

The camera itself measures 3.3 x 3.3 x 1.2 inches (Height x Width x Depth) but also has a 1-inch wireless antenna on the top. The HomeMonitor HD Camera sits in between the HomeMonitor Indoor (£129.99) and the HomeMonitor Outdoor (£199.99), but all use the same online service.

Setup
--------------------------
Setting up the camera is an absolute breeze. The included documentation lists in detail everything you need to do whether you are going to be using the camera wired or wireless. It basically requires you to hook up the camera to a mains power supply, and also to your router using the ethernet port on the back of the camera. When creating an account on the HomeMonitor website you'll be asked to enter the Camera ID which can be found on the camera or on the information booklet included. From here you'll be taken through a few more steps where you can configure some camera settings.
While I was setting up the camera I found it to be a smooth process and didn't run into any problems at all. I connected the camera to my router and after around 3/4 minutes the camera showed a green LED to show that it was connected and working correctly. One thing I would like to see in any future additions is WiFi Protected Setup (WPS) to make the process even easier.

Among the settings that you can change are those for motion detection. You are allowed to create two motion detection zones wherever your camera is pointed. This means that any movement not in these zones will not trigger the camera to start recording. From our tests this can be very useful when you have multiple people moving around and can set the camera to start recording for example when a door is opened. Not only this but a slider can be used to change the amount of movement needed to trigger the camera. You can also schedule these zones so they will only be looking for detection at certain times.

Once the setup is completed you will be taken to your homepage when you can switch between different tabs including Live View, Video Archive, User Manager and Camera Manager. Live View is exactly what it sounds like and allows you to see a 'live' feed from your camera. The only problem with this is that it isn't exactly live. We found there to be quite a bit of lag when it came to viewing the camera live, and although we knew that there would be some lag due to the video being sent via the internet we didn't realise just how much, but by no means is it a major drawback in my books.

Using the video manager you can view all of your captured video's from the past 7 days that have been stored in the cloud. There are a number of actions you can carry out including deleting all clips, deleting an individual clip and also downloading a clip. All of the clips are arranged by date and it is extremely easy to navigate through them using the time-stamps and duration of the clip.

The User Manager tab can be used the change your password but also add multiple emails which allows different people to log onto the dashboard and access all of this information including the video files - another nice feature.

From the Camera Manager you can see all the information about a certain camera, and have the option to add more cameras. This is another great thing about HomeMonitor, you can manage multiple cameras from one account, even when placed in different locations.

You can access your camera(s) from just about anywhere, with the quality apps that are available for iOS, Android, Windows Phone and Roku, which means you can watch your clips in HD on the big screen. The apps are clean and crisp and do exactly what they are supposed to. The UI works well and is easy to navigate even the first time you ever use it.
--------------------------
Pros
--------------------------
- Great night vision mode, thanks to the infra-red lights
- FREE cloud storage for the past 7 days
- Free companion applications for iOS, Android, Windows Phone & Roku
- Add multiple cameras to one HomeMonitor account
--------------------------
Cons
--------------------------
- Live Stream lags
- Only one way audio

--------------------------
Our Verdict
--------------------------
Overall the new HomeMonitor HD is a quality and solid product. It is meant to be a security / monitoring system and therefore the lag in the video feed doesn't really matter. The night vision mode thanks the the infra-red lights works absolutely brilliantly and you still get a clear, crisp image. The apps for all platforms are on par with each other and function exactly how they should. Overall I would recommend this product to anybody looking for an easy to set-up wireless monitoring system. Although not being cheap you would pay this money back to the companies such as Dropcam and Logitech when paying for their cloud storage subscription fees.
review image review image review image
11 comment|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse