4.0 out of 5 stars Daily readings to enlighten, 18 July 2004
E. Ives "e-clectica" (UK) - See all my reviews
I wanted to go 'back to basics' with some of the gospels, and chose Tom Wright's versions because although he is clearly a committed Christian, he is not emotional or dogmatic. He is an eminent scholar, and understands Jewish history and the context of the world into which Jesus was born, and both in this book and others I have read by him beforehand, this has truly enlightened my view of the gospels and Jesus himself. My personal experience of reading the Bible has always been one of 'new layers of revelation' - one can read a story or passage at different times and extract new levels of meaning. And so Tom Wright is helping me to do this once again.
I have never been disciplined when it comes to reading my Bible daily - but I am finding it easy with this study:
- It includes the daily reading, so you only need to take this book with you when you're out and about
- It includes a write up setting the reading in context and points to make you think
- The write up is long enough to be thought provoking but not so long as to lose one's attention!
I will definitely be buying more books in this series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible and profound study, 25 May 2009
Adam "Say something about yourself!" (Dunton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
'Matthew for Everyone' gives us a translation of Matthew's Gospel in daily readings that are accessible and readable but not partronising or jarring. They are accompanied by a reflection where Tom Wright opens up the scripture using his own learning and experience, and challenges us to find the message and calling of the reading in our daily lives.

I found my understanding of the Gospel narrative greatly strengthened by following this. Spiritual truth, real widom, is expounded direectly, simply and powerfully. The author clealy underscores Matthew's intention of alerting his readers to the wider context of Jesus' mission as the fulfillment of the Law and the Prophets, and brings home to us just how revolutionary, powerful and shocking Jesus teaching was to his contemporaries, and how much of a challenge and threat it was to the powers and authorities of his day.
Tom Wright's message is that the 'shock and awe' of Jesus' teaching and ministry needs to be just as clearly felt today.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Insight into Matthew's Gospel, 5 Jan 2011
Mr. G. M. Mackley "Gordon" (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
Although I have now been a Christian for some time and have quite a large library of theology books, I am gradually collecting more and more of Tom Wright's 'For Everyone' series.

You might believe from the title that the books would be rather basic but this is far from the truth. The 'For Everyone' reflects the readability. Thay are an easy read either in small daily readings or by reading longer sections.

This ease of readability is however combined with Tom Wright's great scholarship and especially his wide ranging knowledge of the background of the life and culture of Judea and surrounding areas in the time of Jesus. This means that they are interpreted in a straight forward manner as undoubtedly the orignal hearers would have understood Jesus' words.

As others have said, Tom Wright relates the stories, parables and warnings of those times in this Gospel to our Christian lives today. This is done in way which often makes you think, even if you have been a Christian for a long time and know your Bible well.

In short good scholarly exegesis and great readability mean that if you go through both this and part 2, you will certainly have grasped the meaning of Matthew's Gospel as far as the original audience would have understood it, without the many misunderstandings and especially the unwarranted apocalyptic meanings ascribed by some in more recent times to sections of the text.

From those that I have read, I would wholeheartedly recommend Tom Wright's 'For Everyone' series. If only they would do a reprint of the 'Revelation' one, the original version of which is so rare (and presumably therefore so highly valued by those that have a copy) that I have not found a single copy for sale anywhere on the planet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 27 Jan 2011
Birmingham Book Reader (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Just like all of Bishop Tom Wright's books "Matthew" is just perfect. What I really find helpful, it that we have in this book (is in all of the "for everyone series" Tom Wright's own Bible translation of Matthew. This goes so weill with the commentary.
Only need to carry one book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reading for year a, 24 Dec 2013
This and part 2 are very well written and helpful. They wear their scholarship lightly and are very readable, literally by everyone. However, he gives some background information and insights into how it would be interpreted which I hadn't come across before. Often when you have been a church goer for a long time you get the feeling of having "heard it all before" so this was refreshing. Not 5 stars because the Kindle edition of both parts only gave page 1 of the glossary! Please sort it out, Amazon, this book deserves better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 30 Jun 2013
As usual another outstanding work from Tom Wright. This book answers so many questions, gives a clear picture of the goings on as well as having a devotional quality about it. I recommend this series to all Christians regardless of your church background, it will also be a help to people enquiring about the reality of Jesus.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Sermon on the Mount and all that..., 31 May 2013
L. Davidson (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I was looking through the Religion section of Foyles bookshop in London when I came across this little book. I am interested in the New Testament and have read it thoroughly but I was looking for a commentary on some key books written by someone more erudite on the subject than myself. Tom Wright's book (and series) was just what I was looking for. It is readable and intelligently written with each section of the scriptural text followed by some relevant anecdotes in the form of little miniature sermons which more often than not were quite enlightening. I have since purchased a number of other books in the series on the books of John,Romans and James which I intend to read shortly. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Currently my favourite series of commentaries, 28 Feb 2013
I would not be without my growing collection of commentaries from Tom Wright. Here is an academic who can easily communicate with lay people. It is a series not to be missed

5.0 out of 5 stars Can help everyone with Biblical understanding, 22 Jan 2013
Tom Wright's commentaries were recommended by our Rural Dean. I use these commentaries in my sermon research and they are very helpful. The biblical text has been translated from the original Greek into modern day English, understandable by most people. The commentary on each text uses modern examples of incidents, places, people that any of us might come across or experience, to help understanding. The book can be used in personal Bible study and quiet time and/or for group activity and/or help in preparing talks and sermons. I highly recommend Tom Wrights 'Everyone' commentaries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your guide for today is..........Tom Wright...!!!, 16 Feb 2012
Mrs. S. A. Smith "Woman of Faith" (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
I have spent a while looking for someone who/something that will metaphorically walk with me through the NT, pointing out and explaining all the 'places of historical interest' en route and Tom Wright is just the man.

I was given this book by my husband for Christmas this year along with The New Testament for Everyone. I am really enjoying reading it and finding a whole new level of understanding, enrichment and enlightenment at the same time. It is a huge improvement on attempting [and usually failing] to follow a 'read the bible in a year' reading plan which tends to find me going through the motions after a few days and absorbing very little of what I've read.

'Matthew for Everyone' is a stand-alone text as each study includes Tom Wright's own translation of the passage of scripture being focussed on. This is true for all the 'for Everyone' books. It could easily be used for daily readings as each study is a perfect length for that. I have to say that often I read one and then can't put it down so end up devouring two of three studies per day...

TW asks questions [usually towards the end of each study] that are thought provoking and relevant. I also like the fact that TW doesn't assume that we're all great academics or theologians. These really are books 'for Everyone'.