Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.49

on 22 May 2014
Having read other works by the author I was eager to read his take on D Day. It didn't disappoint. Not a weighty historical account detailing each soldier involved, this gives an overview of the main parts of the invasion with enough detail to satisfy the inquisitive who could then discuss the subject. More than that though the details covered easily spark further reading and the notes and suggestions made by the author are excellent sign posts. This is a must for anyone, however knowledgeable, with any interest in D Day. The scattering of humour (I chuckled aloud during the intro to the chapter about Gold beach) is another welcome change from traditional my dry histories.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
on 14 May 2014
With the 70th anniversary of D-Day just around the corner, I though it was high-time I found out a bit more about it. I knew the basics but very little else. This Layman's Guide has proved to be the perfect introduction, it is nicely written and although not too detail-heavy it seemed to cover all the major issues and aspects of the operation. As the author rightly says, it is more like a chat down the pub than a heavy historical text. I found it a very worthwhile book and would recommend it to anyone who wants to know more about D-Day.
on 25 June 2014
Whilst this is described as an introduction to the subject for someone with little or no prior knowledge, it is well written and not so basic as to be annoying or patronising. I wouldn't put myself in the above category but I still found this book a worthwhile read. I eventually found the conversational tone to be a little too much, but forgave this due to all the other positives. I'd really recommend it for its intended purpose. And a good selection of websites at the end to send you researching off onto the web.
on 17 June 2016
An easily readable little book - which I read after having been to the region in order to understand the conflict more clearly. However there are far too many basic - factual - errors included for my liking and I will be contacting the author directly to point them out. A couple of simple examples include calling the D-Day battle the worst conflict of the 21st century, and positioning Sword beach to the west of Juno and Gold. Basic errors that simple proofreading should spot in an instant.
on 8 June 2014
Excellent overview of D-day and well written. Will certainly be looking for more from this author. I liked the dashes of humour.
on 7 June 2015
This is Well worth a read,Loved the fast flowing context and story. Easy to visualise and interpret. Well written. Bravo.
on 25 May 2014
Not bad, its ideal for 13 year old son to build an interest in d day and beyond. With this being the 70th anniversary year, it seems schools are doing projects on the subject, and this book allows an easy understanding of the planning and cost of the undertaking. It may have wide sweeping statements, but each part can be dissected through more in depth accounts by other more dedicated authors. PoP
on 28 June 2014
A good basic outline of a major historical event. I didn't like the inclusion of author's euphemistic terms for humorous effect as it often made light of horrific life and death situations encountered by real soldiers from either side. Could benefit from a layman's map too.Needs further proof reading as there are several spelling errors.However, an informative, easily digested book.
on 19 June 2014
Really useful book for those, like me, that somehow missed any of this at school. My husband is very into reading about the world wars and I always get confused what he is talking about, so this was perfect for me.

Just the right amount of detail to give me the knowledge I wanted, but enough descriptive detail and character to keep me interested.
on 21 May 2014
A brilliant book for all those interested in learning the basics about D-Day. Scott has a great modern style that is very engaging and down to earth; hence the title of this review.

If you want an overview that is accessible and not an academic lecture that you can read in an evening or two, buy this book.