5.0 out of 5 stars A great read
Spenser Warwick is the author of the rather turgid Wardington-Smythe adventure novels and is drawn into an adventure of his own. He receives some obscure clues in cheap envelopes which are scented with a rare perfume. A youth named Norris is persuaded to help him as he is drawn into attempting to foil a plot which will damage the Commonwealth.

This is a change...
Published 14 months ago by Ignite

Sorry, I just found it boring & a little silly (as opposed to humorous)
Published 10 months ago by A. P. Bristow

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 6 May 2014
Ignite (East Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Spenser Goes North (Kindle Edition)

This is a change from Darren Humphries' recent fare of Agent Ward’s U.N.D.E.A.D. adventures and is set in Victorian times. I loved some of these characters, especially young Norris and The Lady with her wonderfully upfront attitude. I hope we see more in this vein. It's a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars More delightful Humphries humour, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Spenser Goes North (Kindle Edition)
Delightful characters sprinkled throughout with laugh out loud humour. In a departure from his hugely successful UNDEAD books, Humphries introduces us to his suave yet slightly bumbling main character Spenser. I look forward to further adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Northern Lights, 8 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Spenser Goes North (Kindle Edition)
Darren Humphries has been building a great series with his Man From UNDEAD novels, and now he slows down the pace a little to bring us Spenser Goes North, in which popular novelist Spenser Warwick gets embroiled in a complex plot that strikes to the very heart of an alternative Victorian Britain. Spenser Goes North shirks the high gag rate of the Agent Ward books for a slower burn, but fans can rest easy - the set-up and world-building dissolves into frantic action as the story reaches its climax.

Hopefully Spenser Warwick will be riding again very soon, as the closing chapter does hint at the setup of a potential series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new direction, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Spenser Goes North (Kindle Edition)
Having read all the Undead series this new direction and new characters doesn't disappoint. It is 'easy reading' and none the worse for that - best described as a 'ripping yarn' with strong likeable characters. I hope there is a sequel on the way - if there is I will definitely be buying it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Most enjoyable, 16 May 2014
Lynda Wilcox (Northamptonshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spenser Goes North (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this old fashioned romp with it's homage to the bygone era of Boy's Own adventures.

The book is full of likeable characters - even the dastardly ones are well-conceived - and tongue in cheek humour. I laughed out loud in places at the scrapes the urbane yet bumbling Spenser gets being dragged into.

My only caveat is the mix of alternate history with (towards the end) a few modern references which, for a moment, pulled me up short.

But that's a minor quibble. Bravo Mr Humphries! I sincerely hope there will be more of Spenser Warwick's adventures to entertain me again in the very near future.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK but......, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Spenser Goes North (Kindle Edition)
A reasonable steam punk thriller, but it seems a bit too arch for my liking and the 'hidden jokes' were too obvious for me....not in the same league as his UNDEAD series.

1.0 out of 5 stars I just found it boring & a little silly (as opposed to humorous), 12 Aug. 2014
A. P. Bristow - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spenser Goes North (Kindle Edition)
Sorry, I just found it boring & a little silly (as opposed to humorous)

Spenser Goes North