5.0 out of 5 stars Great leap forward - if you want 4K Video, 31 Aug. 2014
Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke "Graham BC" (Rayleigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Panasonic DMC-GH4EB-K Compact System Camera (Body Only) (Electronics)
I had heard great reviews about this camera so I arranged a loan of one as I am looking to get rid of all my DSLR cameras which are too big and heavy. I need a camera for my work and this seemed to fir the bill. I need to take stills and add video as a back up. I didn't want to carry a big camera and the current camera I use fir work a Canon D70 is a great camera, its too heavy and bulky.

The Panasonic is small about 2/3rd of the size of my Canon and its light and fits well in your hand when shooting. The menus are easy to follow and after a short while I had set the camera up to what I needed. To be frank since I am not the only person to use the camera I do need auto ISO, and programme modes. This camera delivered well on those settings and whilst I did need to boost the brightness on occasion it did a better job then the Canon.

I have tried the camera with a Panasonic/Leica 25mm Macro lens I use on my Olympus. I was knocked out at the images, but to be frank that lens is the cream of the crop but focusing on the Panasonic was quick and crisp. I also used the manual focus and controls and was very happy with the results.

Now on to the video! This camera can use 4K video. Problem here is I do not have a 4K video TV or monitor and have no urge to get one. However, surprisingly what the video is great for is to take single images off the video you have streamed. This is useful where I need to look at an area I missed when taking stills. It shoots at 30 images a second and some of the images I would say were as good as the jpegs I got when shooting the stills. Nice feature.

I am still using the camera but at the moment I am edging towards buying one for the business and demoting the Canon as a back up.

4.0 out of 5 stars WEF 23 May - DxO Now Supports GH4 RAW, 17 May 2014
Trev-R (Boston UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
UPDATE: 23 May - DxO Optics Pro 9.5 upgrade now supports the GH4 RAW and JPG and does an excellent job converting the RAW files to DNG and TIFF

I took delivery of my GH4 with lens today and while I am generally impressed with the camera there is no support for the new RAW format apart from Panasonics own application. The latest versions of Photoshop, Lightroom, DxO Optics Pro, Photomatix and Perfect Photosuite 8.5 do not yet support this format. DxO will be releasing updates in June but I cannot find any information from the other manufacturers as to when their updates will be available.

This means that if you shoot in RAW the only way you can currently use your images is to use the Panasonic application to export the files as TIF or JPG which of course defeats the point of shooting in RAW.

Image quality is no better or worse that my GX7 and GM1. I took some test shots today and the TIF's output from the RAW files were slightly soft and had to be processed in Photoshop to boost contrast and sharpness. I think this is actually to do with the RAW to TIF conversion rather than the master image quality itself. However until updates are released it won't be possible to tell.

Camera build quality is excellent, controls are extremely comprehensive and well placed and the menu system is common to the GX7 and GM1 so users of these and other similar Panasonic cameras should be able to jump right in without the manual. The lens is OK, the OIS works but the sharpness of the lens is not as good as the Olympus 14mm - 150mm I have been using.

I will update this review once I can properly work with the RAW files produced.

5.0 out of 5 stars massive video review of it, 4 Jan. 2015
very impressive camera, worthy of a 40minute video review! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgr44mgXAck

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, but some odd ergonomics, 9 July 2014
Andrew Johnston "(www.andrewj.com/books)" (LEATHERHEAD United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I got this a few days ago. First impressions?
- Same superb stills quality with static subjects as the GX7. Panasonic say that the two sensors are slightly different, and the RAW files are very slightly larger (by about 0.5% in each dimension) but I’m blowed if I understand why as otherwise things seem to be identical.
- It’s a nice size, very slightly larger than the GH2 and GX7, and fits very nicely in my hands.
- It feels like a “professional” camera, capable of taking the odd splash or minor knock without problems. With the 12-35mm lens on it’s officially splashproof and dustproof, although just as with the 7D I’ll probably still put it in a rain cover in very harsh conditions. Also I suspect we won’t be auctioning off 50 year old examples held together with sticky tape, unlike a few Leicas of note…
- It has a great electronic viewfinder, which really is not much different from using an optical one. However I’m not convinced that the colours in in-camera JPEGs completely match the viewfinders, which I thought was supposed to be one of their strengths.
- The ergonomics and haptics are an improvement on the GH2 in some respects, but have ended up as a bit of an odd mix of physical switches, physical buttons and soft buttons or menu choices. Some are an odd compromise – there’s still a physical switch for focus mode, but you have to switch between “single shot” and “follow focus” in the menu system, which is very poor. Overall I much prefer the cleaner model of the GX7, but when I get the programmable elements of the GH4 set up to my satisfaction things may be better.

It’s too early to judge action performance. The frame rate seems to be as high as promised, but I haven’t yet been able to confirm whether the autofocus does the job. I tried shooting some dogs and rabbits last night, but in very low light, which meant even at ISO 6400 I was wide open on my lenses and at too low a shutter speed. More practice required!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... away by the quality and options (wifi stuff is AMAZING, and I wasn't expecting to use that kind ..., 6 Aug. 2014
Does more than I thought it could possibly do for it's size - Blown away by the quality and options (wifi stuff is AMAZING, and I wasn't expecting to use that kind of *gimmick*;))

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Mar. 2015
Enjoying learning the different settings

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Mar. 2015
Fantastic camera!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lumix GH4, 6 Jun. 2014
Only had the GH4 for about two weeks and haven't taken many shots with it so far. But those I have done are very pleasing indeed with very nice colouring and excellent details being captured.
I think the GH4 is rather better than the GH3 which I also have although I cannot say anything about the video capibilities as I haven't used either camera for video work.