4.0 out of 5 stars Marsden's star shines brightly
Shine – Bernie Marsden
The summer of 2014 looks like being an Indian summer for fans of Blues Rock, especially if you love your Blues with plenty of guitar sonics. Philip Sayce, Danny Bryant, siren Joanne Shaw-Taylor and Joe Bonamassa all have albums set for imminent release.
Published 6 months ago by N. H. Foster

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better.
Some good songs and some direct from the eighties. Bit disappointed but Bernie still great unique player.
Published 4 months ago by Basil

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Marsden's star shines brightly, 22 Aug. 2014
Shine – Bernie Marsden
If you have already or are set to purchase this heady quartet then I implore you to make it a quintet and add in ‘Shine’ the brilliant new album by Bernie Marsden. The album shines so bright it will bring a huge grin to your face and have you tapping your feet.
Marsden’s stature as a modern guitar maestro is indisputable and across the 13 tracks here Marsden’s full repertoire of skills are showcased. From the traditional Blues notes and hues of opener ‘Linin Track’ with sparse arrangement through to the beautiful acoustic tones of NW8. Across the tracks there is Blues here to suit every palette.
Wedding Day has an instantly radio friendly accessibility built on a looping Marsden riff that fizzes and crackles that is matched every step of the way by a funky rhythm section groove. Think of Joe Walsh circa Rocky Mountain way and you are in the right ball park.
Kinda Wish She Would chimes in on honky tonk piano and a catchy vocal but what really kicks this one into life is the booming metronomic riff that Marsden spits out straight from the Southern Boogie States of the USA, this one has echoes of ZZ Top at their boogie best.
Coming in half way through Marsden teams up with former Whitesnake buddy David Coverdale and the two deliver a killer revamped version of the Snake classic Trouble. This hits every sweet spot for this listener, Coverdale’s iron fist velvet glove full throated roar struts atop Marsden’s slide driven licks and bruising riffs. Mid song Bernie slips the shackles and fires off an deep aching solo. This is as good as anything Whitesnake produced at their zenith.
Bad Blood signals another direction change and gets all mean and moody, a hard lyric nailed in the very competent hands of the young and talented Cherry Lee Mewis, Cherry lays down a sassy confident Bluesy vocal that is paired with a searing hard edged solo from the head honcho.
As if that were not enough Marsden’s good buddy Joe Bonamassa breezes in on the brilliant title track and delivers a trademark fiery and scintillating solo that climbs all over Marsden’s bombastic riffing. This is a real rocker!
Ballads get their billing and Who Do We Think We Are is a fine example. A lilting mellifluous tune that will just wash over you on a wave of harmonised vocals and some haunting fretwork from Marsden. Album closer NW8, a tribute to Abbey Road where the album was recorded is an acoustic instrumental beauty that provides a fitting end to what is a fantastic album that should stand alongside the quartet mentioned at the top.
Convinced you to indulge yet? You should!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome album. I saw Bernie at The Linton Festival ..., 4 Sept. 2014
D. J. Wilden "denise7248" (Maidenhead, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shine (Audio CD)
Awesome album. I saw Bernie at The Linton Festival in June 2014, he was the 3rd choice for headline on the Friday, first being Walter Trout and he was very very ill, then Wilko Johnson stepped in and he had to have an operation so Bernie stepped into the breach in their place. He was really amazing, I decided then and there to get Shine when it came out. I love it, its got lots of twists and turns in it, apart from Whitesnake I didn't really know his work but I was convinced after seeing him on stage. Its a brilliant album. Buy it!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A hot one from Tingewick, 1 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Shine (Audio CD)
Good to hear Bernie doing his thang. The album is a bit eclectic but keeps the listener interested. I was very impressed with his take of "Dragonfly", very emotive. Bernie is best in the Blues and has positively gained by his study of Peter Green. It's what you don't play that counts, not an endless belt of machine gun notes.
Looking forward to his project "The Mayallman", would really like to see him play with John Mayall and Peter.
While I dream, try this album, it's cookin!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rocking Blues album, 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Shine (Audio CD)
Mr Marsden has knocked out a brill album.
1. Linin Track:- starts with the crackle one hears when the needle drops onto the old LP ( Long Player not Les Paul ) record. Having had all my LPs stolen years back, I had forgotten that, fun times.
2. Wedding Day:- Another thump along rocking tune.
3. Walk Away:- To me an 80s style rock anthem, nothing wrong with that. Great guitar licks ( if only I could play like that ), good lyrics, fab singing.
4. Kinda Wish She Would:- A fast thumping, slightly harder rock song. This one has some rocking piano belting out a tune. I can see the chorus getting a lot of audience participation on this track.
5. Ladyfriend:- A slower rock tune, this shows Bernie is not a one trick pony. More Bluesey with a harmonica wailing throughout.
6. Trouble:- Coverdale doing the yodeling on this track, he certainly still has what it takes to make any song sound great. Bernie comes in with his guitar pulling the song together. I am guessing the pair had a lot of fun making this track.
7. Who Do We Think We Are:- Probably my favourite although all tracks are top notch. I slower song, great lyrics. Although one can hear Bernies guitar wailing a solo, it is not overdone. Lasting 5 minutes 25 seconds, it could have gone twice as long for me.
8. Bad Blood:- Cherry Lee Mewis ( new to me ) is one of the ladies who can really belt out a tune. This girl reminds me of Bianca Kinane who has done some great vocals on John Verity`s latest album.
9. Shine :- This another tune going on full chat. Joe Bonamassa sounds good, he can guest for me anytime.
10. Dragonfly:- I could waltz to this one, smooth Blues perhaps. Bernies lead guitar effortlessly grooves along to the cool vocals.
11. You Better Run:- Another rocker, a safe bet for the Marsden lad.
12. Hoxie Rollin Time:- Medium tempo Blues number, I could here this in a Chicago club.
NW8 :- Ah the times I Beatled along Abbey Road as a London courier, only once in fifteen years as a courier/biker/driver did I actually deliver to the famous studio. Bernie gently plays a ballad type instrumental, in the vein Of Mark Knofler , Local Hero.
In my courier/driver years in London, I picked up a lot of music industry people. Sting, Joan Armitrading, Queen ( the band ) Delamitri, Bernie was the nicest, humblest rock star I ever met. A terrific album, better than I thought it would be. Now if only I could get Mr Marsden to tour the east coast of the USA.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highs and lows, 13 Sept. 2014
M. Cochrane - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shine (Audio CD)
Marsden said in an interview that this album was in a similar style to Ready and Willing. To me, it's nothing like it, but each to their own. Walk Away is the best track, sounds like a hit single (although obviously it won't be). Other good ones are Who Do We Think We Are, Dragonfly and You Better Run. Linin' Track has a great sound and feel, but unfortunately is monotonous and I get bored by the one and only chord after a couple of minutes. Kinda Wish You Would is a rehash that has been on numerous previous albums, I don't think it's that good personally. Hoxie Rollin' Time is a great, traditional sounding blues song. Ladyfriend is very good too. The title track Shine is a bit eclectic for my old fashioned tastes, it's interesting but it doesn't flow nicely as a song. As for Trouble, Coverdale just growls and grunts his way through it like a parody of himself, which is a shame. Compare his vocal style to the original and you'll know what I mean. You Better Run (obviously inspired by an earlier track "Ride, Ride, Ride"), is one of my favourites on the album, quite Whitesnakey in fact (finally)! But it seems to finish too soon; it's crying out for an extra verse. NW8 is nice but very repetitive and goes on too long and becomes boring. A couple of tracks employ distortion effects on the vocals, presumably to sound modern, but it works well. There's clearly some autotuning going on too. I would recommend this album because it's worth it just for the good tracks. Not perfect though in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like blues with melodic rock undertones, 22 Sept. 2014
Kindle Customer (Corvallis, Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shine (Audio CD)
Bernie is a journeyman of the highest standard... If you like blues with melodic rock undertones, you can't go wrong

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better., 9 Oct. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 16 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Shine (Audio CD)
I would say a different Bernie and well worth it with Coverdale and guests making telling contributions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 16 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Shine (Audio CD)
Great album, it's what I expected.Bluesy rock, well played and produced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what she wanted ..., 13 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Shine (Audio CD)
A Christmas present for my sister, just what she wanted, loved it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Shine
Shine by Bernie Marsden (Audio CD - 2014)