5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted

2.0 out of 5 stars Sexual violence leaves you cold
Published 7 months ago by Leeam

2.0 out of 5 stars Sexual violence leaves you cold, 27 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears [DVD] (DVD)
Firstly, the positives. The film looks and sounds beautiful. It features some of the most striking photography and editing sequences I have seen. It is erotically charged, violent and dream-like. I love the use of colour palettes, composition and visual motifs. The theme is clearly sexual violence as found in our nightmares. There are blades, blood, nudity and vagina-shaped wounds.

Now for the bad news. Much like Amer, this film feels like a the idea for a short film dragged out to fill 90 mins. At about the 45 min mark I started to lose interest. I'd become accustomed to the visuals and style and wanted something more from the film. Also, the film-makers repeat some of the imagery excessively. There are only so many extreme close ups of eyes a person can stand. A sequence in black and white featuring a blade and a nipple is shown at least five times. There is absolutely no coherency which becomes frustrating and the whole thing feels, and is, incredibly self-indulgent.

These two film-makers are hugely talented visual stylists. I would like to see them hire a proper script-writer and, like the giallo films they evidently love, strike a balance between style and narrative. I wanted to rate this higher but I found it ultimately cold and am unlikely to sit through the whole thing again.

3.0 out of 5 stars pathological art-nouveau femme fatalism, 8 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears [DVD] (DVD)
Whereas in the directors previous feature length outing,Amer, we were given a varied palette of visual signatures and audio nostalgia, this slightly longer work is more concentrated on dissonance, in fact it paints with little else.I would suggest that this is the entire theme, 95% of the film/outcome challenges not only memory to recall the experimental edits but actually dares you to find it pleasant. Which overall it can be in pieces, in bursts. Overall though, the length of the film works against it. There is too much repetition, even if that can be explained away with the word 'hypnotic'; there is too much repeated non-event, lack of occurence, a large volume of ambient visuals, macro close-ups for the sake of another shot. Interesting, just not satisfying for a long span of time.

Being compared with the film Amer is inevitable. It also begs to be compared to styles of other filmic auteurs and animators. Quay Brothers, Svankmajer, even Maddin if he made a flick with a nod to Borowczyk. Other names that came hurtling to mind were Robbe-Grillet, Georges Bataille. Yet in this instance, the constant reference to eyes in close-up, to in-lens trickery & the haunting sexualized feminine that worked in Amer, are going nowhere special. In Amer i surmised a pathological study after Psychopathia Sexualis of Krafft-Ebing. Here i can only recall superior moments of Jesus Franco. But Franco, for all his myriad faults, was making a film and tacking onto it anything that jazzed his mind. This current flick seems longer than it is and unlike Franco or his kin, this left me unsatisfied and somewhat with a desire to get out my camera again, but not to watch this flick for some time.

May grow on the memory, but without the drive and musical flair of Amer, i cannot say that this is much more than an art-students expression of every camera edit he has seen or every stab or slash shot with the volume cranked up from past films of more palatable reminiscence. Art Nouveau students will be fascinated by the interiors, the exteriors, the architecture of the whole. Those expecting a bit more substance than symbolic leather fetishisms, creaking synesthesias or simply a pathology of menstrual freudian nightmares, would best seek out more linear fare or try some of the directors shorter work first...to get a taste for the tainted.

3.0 out of 5 stars Visually stunning film but leaves you empty halfway through., 3 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears [DVD] (DVD)
Hyper stylized film about a murderer in an apartment block who is knocking off the neighbours. For much of the film we follow Klaus Tange who plays Dan Kristensen, returning home to find no trace of his wife. What follows is a seemingly never ending labyrinth of lights and camera movements in his quest to get to the bottom of what is going on. You will feel this too- small clues are given to us only to be dragged out somewhere else completely and leave us easily confused.

The imagery and lightning would make this a 5 star film. But one feels that the two directors- yes there are two here go all Cecil B Demille on us and we are presented by an onslaught of imagery, almost relentless in a 97 minute film that contains little dialogue. There are only so many times we can see an eye and its reflection close up before boredom sets in.

This film is not for everyone, and most will go away wondering what they have just seen. There are certainly times where the film takes us down a path entwined by a riddle without the story naturally developing as it should. Because of this, the movie on an entertainment value is a good one and gets its 3 stars. On a visual scale, no matter that it is clearly overused it's nothing short of a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 29 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears [DVD] (DVD)
I’m generally not fond of the idea of nostalgic retro pieces but I’ve found that the majority of my favourite horror films of recent years have been heavily inspired by or are emulating older films. To me Amer and Berberian Sound Studio were just as good as the best Italian horror films. I liked Black Swan too. A Field In England was a less obvious mixture of influences and it converted me to Ben Wheatley after being a bit lukewarm on Kill List.
I’ve heard there are even Jean Rollin and Jess Franco imitators coming out and I’d be interested to see that too.

As well as Amer I loved Cattet/Forzani’s short films, including their contribution to ABCs Of Death (the obvious highlight of the whole film). I was surprised to find this dvd in the shops so early, I thought it would be another 5 months or so before I saw it.

This film has more direct references to previous Italian horror films but thankfully without the sort of winking at the audience that usually includes; lots of parts from old soundtracks too. There is a strong Art Nouveau direction and it takes more from the purely supernatural Argento films like Suspiria and Inferno.

I liked this even more than Amer, it’s totally packed with great shots and more good imagery than a lot of horror directors manage in their entire careers. From looking at reviews by less satisfied people, I see they felt bored by the endless stream of images without clear plot threads but this incoherent nightmare is what I very often hope for in films but too rarely get. The suspense was spread very wide and some of the sequences are really fantastic. My attention was totally eager.

I could see the giallo trend getting a bit old in the future and I have trouble envisioning Cattet/Forzani making a whole career of it, but please keep films with this more visual approach coming.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dark Nightmare, 25 Jan. 2015
This is a 2 1/2 star film for me. Didn't hate it but do not wish to see it again. Where other reviewers say it is dream like, I would say it is one long nightmare. Or a series of them. If you are a film or architecture student, you will need to see this. If you want a film laden with Freudian symbolism and themes, this is a film for you. It uses the colours red, blue and green in a way that any theatre directer will be familiar with. Despite being beautifully filmed in a great period building, it was not any easy watch. Despite being interesting, it didn't sustain my interest. It will divide horror fans. It was too long and needed a few more light moments to add to the shade.

5.0 out of 5 stars mesmerizing masterpiece, 5 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears [DVD] (DVD)
One of the best films I've seen in years. There is a kind of story, but it's never clear or it is maybe a dream, or psychosis... The film comes in waves of colour, movement and sounds, that are edited to a mesmerizing psychedelic trip, nightmare style. My eyes were glued to the screen, becauce the directors clearly understand what film is. Sometimes films open in the moodfull way this films does, but after that go back to the boring telling of stories. This masterpiece stays dark, mysterious and surrealistic to the very end. It's a bit like Argento's Suspiria and Inferno on acid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Open your eyes, 24 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears [DVD] (DVD)
Granted, not for everybody's taste. Then again, so was 2001-a Space Odyssey, and look what happened to that little movie.

This is one for people who do like their movies to be a visual and audio (rich) feast. People who don't like spoon-fed dumb summer blockbusters, who like to engage in some active interpretation of said movie. People who go to movies to experience a new way of looking. People who go beyond safe, political correct and reassuring message movies.

This movie is NOT pretentious, makes more sense then any Hollywood blockbuster I've seen this year (admittedly that is not a big achievement...) and looks and sounds stunning.
One of the highlights this year for me (and I do go to a lot of the blockbusters and Oscar nominated movies as well....)

On top of that, having bought the dvd as soon as it became available, this is one movie that pays off multiple viewings. Details become clear, meaning and interpretation rise up. Not like a Hollywood how to bake a cake mystery-recipe, not like a didactic art movie message. Closer to experiencing meaning in music - funny enough .....think Bach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 30 July 2014
This review is from: The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears [DVD] (DVD)
If you're into psychosexual body horror, psychedelic music, paranoia of apartment buildings, eyes, blades, leather, and audiovisual feasts, I would highly recommend this movie. Unforgiving yet serene. Might not understand the ending, but a great ride of imaginative filmmaking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Its like a ramped up Lynch film but its an intruiging ..., 5 Oct. 2014
A lack of story doesnt detract from this very busy visual Belgium horror. Its like a ramped up Lynch film but its an intruiging piece of work. Id say this director is someone to watch out for. Creepy and highly inventive. A tale of a man whose wife has gone missing.

1.0 out of 5 stars What about a proper BluRay for such a great film?, 3 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears [DVD] (DVD)
Unexpected forced burned-in english subtitles are a dissapointment.
Image quality is not "para echar cohetes" ( As we say here in Cataluña).
What about a proper BluRay for such a great film?

The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears [DVD]
The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears [DVD] by Hélène Cattet (DVD - 2014)