4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but...
This is a review for the 2014 model Motorola MBP36S Digital Video Baby Monitor.
Published 10 months ago by R S

Published 13 days ago by Ian Male

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., 7 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Motorola MBP36S Digital Video Monitor (Baby Product)
This is a review for the 2014 model Motorola MBP36S Digital Video Baby Monitor.
We have the old model from 2011 and were always very happy with it except that the power jack thingy got a loose contact very early on and the monitor randomly ran out of battery and started beeping, which was less fun in the middle of the night. So after resorting to hold it in place with sticky tape, we gave up and ordered this new version.
The good:
The power jack thingy is MUCH more stable as it cannot move in its little socket on the monitor.
The picture is clearer and so is the sound
The power cable of the camera is longer so easier to position high up

The bad: We have twins and so need two cameras. We naturally assumed that the new monitor would be compatible with the old cameras. It is not! And there is no Motorola MBP36S additional camera available as yet.
The movements are jerky and not smooth any more. I suppose this is due to the higher resolution. It annoys me but is no big deal I suppose.

Apart from that it has some clever new additions such as that you can have two camera displayed on one screen- except of course that there is no second camera that works with it :/

1.0 out of 5 stars One fatal flaw - it won't charge! This is not a one-off, it's happened twice just to me., 13 April 2015
This review is from: Motorola MBP36S Digital Video Monitor (Baby Product)
This is the perfect baby monitor, great camera, great range, great audio BUT after around a month the plug/socket on the monitor loosen and it refuses to charge, meaning you run out of battery after a few hours and you're left with a useless plastic box! This is the second one we've had after Amazon kindly replaced the first, and we've had the exact same problem with both. Don't usually leave reviews but don't want other parents to suffer the same issues.

Such a shame because the thing is brilliant apart from that! Not sure why Motorola didn't test it more thoroughly!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 10 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Motorola MBP36S Digital Video Monitor (Baby Product)
Less Than 4 months after buying this, the parent unit will not charge.
At £30 a month, this is daylight robbery.
Amazon say it's outside the return window.
Not fit for purpose. Don't waste your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems within 1 month of purchase, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Motorola MBP36S Digital Video Monitor (Baby Product)
We bought this monitor in June 2014, worked perfectly for 3 wks and then we had problems with the night vision. We returned it to amazon and ordered a replacement and the same problem is happening again. We've contacted Motorola directly hoping for a solution, if we don't get it sorted, I'll be returning the second monitor and requesting a refund. This is far too expensive to be having problems within the first month.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera function and like that I can move the ..., 15 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Motorola MBP36S Digital Video Monitor (Baby Product)
Great camera function and like that I can move the camera view without going into the room, shame the battery does not last longer as only just manages an evening when I am down stairs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price - update - had to return, 3 Aug. 2014
******UPDATE******
Had to return this monitor 2 months after purchase because the viewer would not charge. Amazon exchanged the item immediately (excellent service! I had the replacement in 2 days). However I am having the same issue with the replacement product, a faulty connection for the charger, making the monitor unusable. Amazon are issuing a full refund.

Very happy with this monitor. The camera is excellent quality and the screen is nice and big. The battery drains quick enough, but we always leave the picture on rather than the sound, and it's to be expected that the picture will drain the battery quicker. The lead of the plug is very long, so the battery isn't an issue because of this. There is really good range on it too. I can bring it outside the house, hanging laundry and the signal is the same as inside. It's great having the room temperature on it, and love the zoom function.
I see an issue in the comments about seeing in to the crib. The camera needs height to see in to the crib. With the zoom function and quality of the picture, I can put the camera on our bookshelves and still get a great view of baby on the other side of the room. The camera doesn't need to be in the child's face to see she is okay.
The only annoying this about this monitor is where they put the power button on the viewer part, it makes it fiddly to turn on and off. This wouldn't stop me from recommending it though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as its predecessor, 25 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Motorola MBP36S Digital Video Monitor (Baby Product)
After having the MBP36 model, we tried to find an extra camera when we had another baby with no luck.

We ended up purchasing the MBP36S thinking is was pretty much the same camera with a slight upgrade.

This camera was slow, clunky, had a large delay on the camera, and if you try to move the camera, it would move very slowly if at all.

If you can find the 36 model NOT the 36S!

5.0 out of 5 stars Go for it!, 1 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Motorola MBP36S Digital Video Monitor (Baby Product)
I decided to get this after many recommended it to me. Read on a blog that this was the newer version of the MBP36... It came exactly as described in the details and presented in the picture. Very high quality... still haven't used it for long! So I'm not sure about durability, but so far so good! Definitely recommend it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Falls apart very quickly - avoid, 12 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Motorola MBP36S Digital Video Monitor (Baby Product)
I bought this from Toys R Us and to be honest the monitor was not too bad when I first turned it on. No way is the video 25 FPS though; more like 15 FPS even when the monitor is in the same room as the camera. In night mode the FPS drops even further to around 10 max I would say.

The battery life is absolutely atrocious, it takes an age to be fully charged but won't even last an hour once charged so it has to be constantly plugged in.

The issue I have now is that the charging port is no longer working unless the cable is pushed back which makes this unit pretty awful. £130 for something that lasted 3 months is a disgrace! This is a baby monitor, you're going to plug/unplug is as you move about so the power connector HAS to be strong enough to survive longer than this one has!

Am taking this back to the store to get a replacement as I'm still under warranty. Hopefully they'll give me a different monitor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very very disappointed!, 24 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Motorola MBP36S Digital Video Monitor (Baby Product)
Very very disappointed with this product. The monitor’s resolution isn’t anywhere near as clear as I thought it would be, even in a well-lit room. The monitor doesn’t tilt down enough when placed level with the top of a cot-bed, I’ve had to mount the monitor on a wall which works OK but not what I wanted. The Infrared Night Vision was one of the main reasons I purchased this particular monitor and it’s useless, it doesn’t stay on, one minute you can see and then you can’t. It’s very frustrating when your child is crying and suddenly you can’t see. So that’s the monitor, sadly I’m also very disappointed with the portable parent unit, when do you typically want to use the monitor? At night maybe… so why are there no LED lights on the buttons? You can’t see them at all and it doesn’t help that the arrow keys (in my opinion) are not in the correct order with up and down at the top and not at the bottom.

Motorola MBP36S Digital Video Monitor