on 4 January 2016
Mel Gibson doesn't get much credit for this in my view, quite convincing portrayal of William Wallace, the Scottish commoner turned freedom fighter, I love my history, it has led me to learn more of the struggles Scotland and England had at the hands of the wannabe Emperor Edward Hammer of Scots Long Shanks, what we did to Wallace was nothing short of barbaric but what we did to his country is every bit as shocking. Must see!
on 15 August 2009
As acurate historicaly as Robin hood prince of thieves (climbing hadrians wall on the way from dover to nottingham ?)this is a lads action movie very loosely based on a rough time in history ,when one of England's most ruthless kings tried to annexe scotland and buggered it up somewhat lol, like most hollywood epics it's nonsense most of it ,but this is a great action movie , great music , great acting and directing,if not taken too serious by certain english and scottish "historians"there is some truth in the script ,but most of it is fantasy, where was the bridge at the stirling bridge battle?Ienjoyed it and it'll take pride in my collection .Wallace was a hero but in a very dark time in history ,a time we cannot judge by our standards, and Edward did have every man ,woman and child killed in Berwick, even by those dark days was brutal and enough to upset the old haggis bashers . lol
on 30 August 2015
As an action packed film, this is good, but cannot be taken seriously as an historical account of William Wallace's life. Why make a film about a real life character and then plug it full of inaccuracies? That said, there were some good performances and Mel Gibson's Scottish accent was surprisingly good for an Aussie.
on 24 August 2006
On a whole number of levels, this movie shouldn't have worked for me. It takes considerable license with historical facts, not only in order to supplement details that are not part of William Wallace's legend but actually, wherever convenient. ("We stuck to history where we could but hyped it up where the legend let us," actor-director Mel Gibson admits on the DVD's commentary track.) It is graphically and unabashedly violent: from throatcuttings to battle scenes that have film blood literally splashing onto the camera, beheadings, a traitor's head smashed with a wrecking ball, and fully 15 minutes of Wallace's "purification by pain," it shows some of the most brutal behavior conceivable. It also engages in some of the most blatant gay profiling in recent film history - not just in the drastic end administered on the lover of Longshanks's son, Edward II., but equally in the portrayal of both characters and their relationship as such. Last but not least, Mel Gibson plays a man at least 10 years younger than himself, a choice often enough bordering on the ridiculous.

And yet ...

From the first notes of James Horner's hauntingly beautiful soundtrack and the first sweeping camera shots over the Scottish highlands, blending seamlessly into the pictures of the Scottish riders on their way to the alleged truce talks initiated by Edward I. "Longshanks," and the narrator's, Robert the Bruce's (Angus MacFadyen's) introduction - "I shall tell you about William Wallace: Historians from England will call me a liar, but history is written by those who have hanged heroes" - there is no mistaking that this is an epic story, taking up the tradition of the likes of "Spartacus" and "Ben Hur." Like those movies, "Braveheart" is a story of heroism and of having the courage of one's convictions; chronicling the life of its hero from first love to loss, betrayal, battles and final confrontation with his arch-enemy's powers. Like both movies, "Braveheart" won the Academy Award in more than one category, not least for John Toll's outstanding cinematography. Like "Ben Hur," it also won both the coveted awards for "Best Picture" and for "Best Director." And maybe I'm just a sucker for that kind of epos ...

To my surprise, I found Mel Gibson to come across very believable as William Wallace; age difference, Scottish brogue and all. Both his acting and his direction are informed by a clear sense of vision for the movie and its title character. Moreover, although full screen writing credits went to would-be (?) Wallace descendant Randall W., many little details undeniably show Gibson's hand and mannerisms: to name just a few of the more obvious examples, Wallace's marriage proposal to Murron, his grinning greeting of a group of English soldiers trapped below a cliff, and his response to a doubting Scottish soldier's comment at Sterling that he can't really be Wallace because he's not tall enough.

In addition to John Toll's awardwinning cinematography, the movie benefits from first-rate production design (Tom Sanders), a score which perfectly captures the mood of every single scene, and a cast of outstanding actors; first and foremost Patrick McGoohan as Longshanks, who portrays the king's utter ruthlessness so convincingly as to make you completely forget his earlier incarnation as the 1960s' "Danger Man," and who delivers monologues worthy of a Shakespearean king. Soliloquies like his musing "but whom shall I send" when plotting to send a messenger to Wallace with another insincere offer of truce, and his chilling announcement to reinstitute the ius primae noctae because "the trouble with Scotland is that it is full of Scots ... If we can't get them out, we'll breed them out" are starkly reminiscent of both Ian McKellen's and Laurence Olivier's portrayals of Richard III.

Equally impressive is Ian Bannen in one of his last roles, starring as Robert the Bruce's leprosy-ridden father and evil spirit, whose first reaction to the tales about Wallace is to deride him ("He has courage; so does a dog"), and who expertly plays on his son's ambivalent feelings, until he finally drives Robert into hating his father for having coaxed him into his own game of scheming and betrayal - whereupon the elder Bruce remarks contemptuously: "At last you have learned what it means to hate. Now you are ready to be a king."

Then-newcomer Catherine McCormack stars as Wallace's childhood love Murron, whose scenes with Wallace provide for much-needed tenderness in the first hour of the movie - particularly touching is four year old Murron's gift of a thistle (Scotland's national flower) to orphaned William - and contrast sharply with the bloodshed that is to follow virtually incessantly from her death onwards. Sophie Marceau matures from teenage party queen ("La Boum") to French Princess Isabelle; Brendan Gleeson stars as Wallace's boyhood friend Hamish, David O'Hara as his heaven-conversing, self-appointed Irish guardian Stephen - one of the movie's most colorful characters - and Brian Cox brings all his extraordinary screen presence to his brief appearance as Wallace's uncle Argyle.

When I left the theater after having witnessed this movie's almost three hours of blood, gore and intense emotions for the first time, I felt as if somebody had given me a fist punch into my stomach. I was so struck that I was almost unable to speak, and dragged my moviegoing companion into the next bar, to revive my spirits with a glass of whiskey. (Scotch, of course). Having seen the film countless times since then, I no longer need that whiskey to overcome its drastic impact - but I still get gooseflesh during many of its key scenes and can't see it without feeling emotionally drained at the end.
99 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 September 2015
Can't understand why I never purchased this DVD first time around but maybe it's because I am of Scottish descent and didn't like the brutality of that period of North/South History. However, the Anniversary Edition was well worth waiting for. Thanks for the ease with which I was able to order a copy.
on 11 June 2016
An absolutely wonderful film. Great characters, great battles and Mel's rallying of the troops speech is the best of any film. The film, like Apocalypto and the Passion, is very viseral and difficult to watch at times. It really gets you on an emotional level. One of my favourite films.
on 27 January 2014
I have seen Braveheart over 1,300 times. I am not kidding. During my two years at college, I watched it three times a day while doing my coursework. 15 times a week, 40 weeks a year, two years = 1,200 views, plus all of the other views I've had before and after. This is my favourite film of all time. Prepare for a biased review.

This is the first time I have ever watched the film on Blu-ray, having only recently acquired a Blu-ray player (an XBOX One), and a TV capable of playing such quality (a Panasonic TXL47FT). I was blown away at the quality that a 1995 film could have on Blu-ray. It is stunning, although in comparison with Oblivion it obviously struggles.

As for the film? It's amazing. Hence the Oscar for Best Picture. I can't spoil it for you, but there is yet to be a film that brings out such a wide variety of emotions as Braveheart has done and continues to do for me. It's a rollercoaster of a film, and one that I cannot believe anyone out there doesn't enjoy.

Please buy this film - on Blu-ray - if you've never seen Braveheart before, your life is about to change!
VINE VOICEon 2 November 2009
So we have the 15th anniversary edition of Braveheart in 2009 which was made in 1995....hmmmm?

Anyway, despite the historical inaccuracies that many moan about, Braveheart is still a great watch and now that they've done a great job on the HD transfer, there's no better time to enjoy it for the first time or to revisit.

I wouldn't say it's anywhere near the best transfer yet but it's huge leap over the DVD. Excellent audio through the DTS-HD Master too. I haven't seen the extra's yet but it does look like they are in HD too.

Audio: DTS HD MST Eng and French; DTS German
Subs: French, German, Danish; Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish and Dutch
55 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 June 2014
Buy this film on Blu-Ray - a film of such epic acting and proportions deserves superior picture and sound, as good as ever - William Wallace is as watchable as ever - an amazing tale - have the hankies ready - recommend - 10/10
on 19 March 2016
Beyond the dodgy accents and 90s hair this passionate epic kept me gripped. The combination of story, music and scenery is a must see in HD and I cannot believe it has taken me 20 years to finally watch this film. Well worth the wait.