4.0 out of 5 stars New Kids On The Operatic Block

1.0 out of 5 stars A Mistaken And Shoddy Issue
Published 2 months ago by Peter Hodgson

4.0 out of 5 stars New Kids On The Operatic Block, 21 Jun. 2014
M. J. Nelson (Leeds) - See all my reviews
Until I read the enthusiastic review of this disc in Gramophone I had never heard of the featured artists (he's American, she's Puerto Rican). Looking at some of the accompanying notes and the slightly 'showbiz' photographs, and bearing in mind several of the other reviews here, I thought perhaps this was a case of 'opera-lite' : more than a notch or two above Katharine Jenkins and Russell Watson but somewhat below Angela Gheorghiu and Roberto Alagna. But no : it seems the singers' credentials are quite impressive, including, for example, having sung La Traviata together in a number of major opera houses around the world. Moreover, the disc is 'produced in association with BBC Radio 3 and the BBC Symphony Orchestra', so no dumbing down there. This has, in fact, given me a lot of pleasure and I am rather mystified by some of the adverse comments made by two of the reviewers : is the artists' singing really 'very 'mannered'' and Perez, 'weak and often reedy' ? Not to my ears, although their interpretations may mature as time goes by. The four Broadway numbers are, perhaps, more contentious. The three-minute version of 'If I Loved You' from 'Carousel' is a poor thing compared with the full, 12-minute sequence wonderfully performed by Samuel Ramey and Barbara Cook on an MCA disc; and with 'One Hand, One Heart' from 'West Side Story' we are up against the contention that opera singers, per se, should steer clear of singing roles in which the characters are supposed to be no more than 'tenement teenagers'. The other drawback to this disc is that there are no English translations of the foreign texts - not good. But full marks to the artists for selecting an interesting range of repertoire. And let's hope their marriage doesn't end up like Gheorghiu's and Alagna's.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Mistaken And Shoddy Issue, 14 Dec. 2014
Peter Hodgson (London) - See all my reviews
Very disappointing. Uninspired performances for the most part. The Broadway musical excerpts are by far the best of a hackneyed selection sung much better by others; and the recording is not particularly good, either. I don't see the point of this album at all - the fact that the singers are married is NO reason to issue it and the claim on the back that they are "America's fastest rising husband and wife opera stars" is ludicrously stupid - who cares? And against whom are they competing? The insert contains appalling badly written hack-journalistic notes full of trite quotes from the singers. A shoddy issue. I wish I hadn't bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I highly recommend this excellent CD!, 10 May 2014
Janice M. Baumann (Allentown, PA United States) - See all my reviews
A true delight listening to these two talented singers merge their voices in these selections. I have heard most of the arias live in New York and enjoy having the experience on CD. Patrick Summers' direction an added bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars She loved it very much, 13 Jan. 2015
I got this for my Godmother for her birthday. She loved it very much. It arrived on time and was well packed, I highly recommend this item and seller .A++++

5.0 out of 5 stars A real treat for the ears and the heart!, 6 May 2014
I saw Costello & Perez perform at Classic FM Live last week and was blown away by the performance and the chemistry between them - red hot! This disc does not disappoint, as they turn their hand to both opera and show tunes with equal aplomb - it pushes all the right buttons!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Valentine's Day, 9 Feb. 2015
Arrived quickly. Given as a present. the receiver has enjoyed it thoroughly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good looks are not enough!, 10 Jun. 2014
M. E. OUTLAW "Fuorilegge" (Isle of Wight, UK) - See all my reviews
Stephen Costello is a competent tenor. If he adheres to the right (lightweight) repertoire, he will do OK. His wife, Ailyn Perez, is not in the same league. Her soprano is weak and often reedy, and she certainly should not be singing the operatic repertoire featured on this disc. Their marriage may well be a very happy one, but the vocal partnership is already under heavy strain. In this field good looks are not of themselves enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb operatic duo, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Love Duets (MP3 Download)
I was fortunate recently to hear for the first time the soprano Ailyn Perez in Manon at Covent Garden, which prompted me to download this CD as I found her to be the most exciting new voice that I've heard in a long while. It is with Manon that the CD opens and the passion in both voices does not disappoint at all. Most of the duets are from the core repertory of Operas from Manon, La Boheme, Rigoletto, and La Traviata which this husband and wife cover are among their roles. As an added bonus they also tackle songs from Broadway shows giving as much passion as they do in the operatic excerpts. I can only add that for all lovers of music be it from opera or musicals, this CD is a must, and let's hope their success continues both musically and matrimonially longer than another famous operatic duo- Alagna and Georghiou.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 8 Aug. 2014
I like the range of arias/songs. I am enjoying it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 1 Dec. 2014
D. L. Hull - See all my reviews
For my wife, but she hasn't played it yet

Love Duets