Format: DVD|Change

on 11 August 2014
I loved this. It's warm, bittersweet, funny and so cosy, it's all I could do not to purr while watching!
Nick Frost cleverly deals with the complex character of Mr Sloane. I was dreading it descending into farce but it doesn't.
He's the most endearing character and there were some genuinely heart wrenching moments. Just enjoy it on a lovely autumnal night.
VINE VOICEon 9 April 2016
This sort of thing is always personal, but I really enjoyed this.

It's filmed sympathetic to the period - warm colours but a tad mute at the same time, and it has some great belly laugh moments but always tempered with sadness at the situation. Don't expect to see that much of Ms Coleman, but she's good (as always) when she's in it. Nick Frost plays his part very well indeed; I think this is probably the thing I've enjoyed him most in, even though I love Sean of the Dead, Nick is better here.

My brother went through a divorce and I gave him copy of this after watching it on the TV, but warned him it could either make him feel better or worse. In his situation I can imagine it's a hard watch in places, but ends up being life-afirming in the end. He binged watched it and said how much he enjoyed it.
on 16 August 2014
This is a very funny 6 part series on one disc. It reminds me of a humorous Tom Sharpe novel/farce. Nick Frost & Olivia Coleman ( playing the conscience of his messed up marriage ) are right on the ball with Mr Sloane confronting life's disillusionments in 1969 as that decade was about to lurch into the next one in Watford. I loved that era and can remember, as a teenager, observing men bumbling through the conventions of their lives, in drab 'off-the-peg' suits, with middle class values just like Mr Sloane. The inclusion of the wonderful pop music satire of Ray Davies fitted like a glove with his band, The Kinks, mocking middle classness in the form of the song lyrics of 'A Well Respected Man'. I absolutely love this DVD and had lots of laughs at all the mishaps that seemed to greet naive, socially inept, Mr Sloane at every turn. His friends in the pub were dead right to character too and the kid having to endure his dads bad habits is very funny. The nerd side of me did pick up on the fact that the cassette player in Mr Sloanes wonderful old Morris Oxford car wasn't quite yet in commercial use in 1969, but that doesn't detract from the humorous use of the self improvement tape that haunts him whilst he's driving about. Ophelia Lovibond plays Robin, an attractive American girl who Mr Sloane develops an understandable obsession for. She is attired perfectly in the 'Swinging London' Mod girl fashions that 'Twiggy' used to model back then. I must admit that Robin's, cool, female Mod look still gets to me even to this day as being so, so, attractive. If you want a good belly laugh get a copy of this series. Very funny and made more so by the brilliantly detailed recreation of the period that it is parodying. Comedies set in the present only seem to allow us to snigger smugly, whereas you can get a really big laugh out of 'Mr Sloane'.

Eamonn
on 11 June 2016
not bad.

starts off pretty poorly, not much enjoyment out of episode 1

it improves with the introduction of robbin in the second episode, and their are also a few more laughs involving sloane and his friends

not sure 6 episodes was worth it.. by about the third or 4th, it has ran it's course- and the ending was actually really predictable

all in all- great if you want a few laughs, but i don't think a rewatch
on 14 July 2014
Watched this last night, I felt the start a little slow and started to wonder if I made a mistake buying this, but no! Wonderful actors and very entertaining, I'll watch this again, I loved the neighbour and her dog from Hell. Highly recommended.
on 30 June 2014
As a huge fan of the Pegg-Frost movie franchise, I did ponder over whether this series would be as good or better than the other things Frost has starred in. Alone in this series, Frost steals the show and really gives a great edge to a comedic atmosphere that is not only pleasant for viewers to engage with, but also gives an edge to relate towards. In my opinion, this show is pure genius and definitely shows that Frost doesn't need someone else on screen to help him portray his character. He's incredible on his own and especially at cringe-comedy which seems to be a more popular thing; Stephen Merchant's "Hello Ladies" series for example. I really hope this series is picked up for a second run. It defines the true meaning of entertainment and gives frequent chuckles throughout.
on 1 October 2015
Laugh out loud funny, touching series. I thought it was particularly clever to keep the details of "that day" until episode five. Such a shame Sky didn't renew the series. It would be fantastic if Amazon picked up the show HINT HINT.
on 21 June 2015
Well done story and a very good production. Sad yes, but there are some beauty that saves the day. Hope springs eternal. Great actors are to be enjoyed and great time period music.
on 28 July 2014
This is a fantastic series funny and sad and makes you think about life the ups and downs that we face everyday. The acting is fantastic and believeable. Would love to see another series Mr Sloan with an e.
on 2 September 2015
Frosty pulled this of rather well without his sidekick he was just as brilliant.