I was so excited about this book and it didn't disappoint! I really like ghost / psychic stories but sometimes find they get a bit sensational and over the top. This book is neither of those things; it's believable and real, with a great selection of characters and a twisty plot that keeps you hooked.

Ruby Davis is a really nice young woman, with a strong...
Published 11 months ago by Jessica Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better....
Published 2 months ago by W. Camden

5.0 out of 5 stars A great paranormal mystery with its feet on planet earth - highly recommended!, 30 May 2014

Ruby Davis is a really nice young woman, with a strong psychic heritage behind her. I loved the intrigue around her family and the strange situation surrounding her mother. I like the way she is an average woman with unusual abilities, and I love the down to earth approach of Psychic Surveys as a high street business.

Her love interest, Cash, is so sweet. Very sweet, very lovely, uber supportive, and as for the dog, Jed, he is such a great character! You feel you know these people at the end of the book and I'm so looking forward to more.

You can't help but get sucked into the mystery of Cynthia Hart, and I could really feel the ambience of Highdown Hall. It grew in intensity throughout the story, and by the final third the pace was breathtaking, I was frantically turning the pages to find out what happened!!

I really, really loved this book. It was rich in imagery, with great characters and an excellent twisty turny plot. It you like ghosts and have a penchant for the spiritual anomalies happening all around us then this is definitely a must read for you!!

Can't wait for the sequel!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Who you gonna call? Psychic Surveys!, 2 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Psychic Surveys Book One: The Haunting of Highdown Hall - A Supernatural Thriller (Kindle Edition)
The Psychic Surveys series will fill the hole that Ghost Whisperer's cancellation left behind. :) The author gives such life to death through her compassionate renderings of the deceased and what keeps these troubled spirits from going into love's light. Ruby's Psychic Surveys business in Lewes, England provides the perfect premise for encountering all sorts of people, living or dead, and the circumstances that plague them or ultimately set them free. With the haunting of Highdown Hall serving as the Surveyors' core investigation, the team is likewise called in for briefer--but no less intriguing--cases and gives us insight into the blessing and curse of their abilities. While the primary case is resolved by the end, there are enough loose threads to compel reading on in the series once more books are available--which I would read anyway for Struthers' engaging style and keen knack for spinning a good story, ghost or otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Entertaining, Well-constructed Read., 4 July 2014
A most unusual story, very well written, which after a slowish start - necessary in order to introduce the characters, put them in context and provide the reader with good background - fairly romps along. I became engrossed in this story of spirit-helping, intertwined with complicated detective work.
Film star Cynthia's life was well-documented; but how to unravel the circumstances of her death and release her terrified spirit from violently haunting the living and lead her towards the "light"?
I enjoyed the lighter, down-to-earth episodes with the team of ghost-hunters-turned-detectives and there was even a bit of romance thrown in, providing a foil to the drama of the spirit scenes.
And as I live only a few miles from Lewes, which provides the setting for the story, it seems all the more real.
An entertaining, well-constructed read, and I look forward to reading more in this series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better...., 9 Feb. 2015
W. Camden (Worcester) - See all my reviews
It's not often I give up on a book but I was sorely tempted with this one. This is a shame as, for most parts, the book was OK, the characters believable, and potential for this to be a great little ghost story, However, I found it overly long and quite frustratingly boring at times. I feel if the author had stuck to the main premise of the book and developed this further - maybe a bit more creepier -and not going off on tangents with other haunting's (which I did not feel added anything to the main book) I would have enjoyed it more. I was reading this on my kindle and it was at the 70% stage that I really just wanted to give up with this so , in the end, I just skim read it quickly to the end. Wasn't particularly enamoured with the end either, it felt almost like the author was making it up as she was going along. Overall, disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Haunting of Highdown Hall, 23 Oct. 2014
A nice story which was written well but not in the least bit frightening and passed a good couple of hours of reading, not something I would reread but not disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a go...you'll be hooked!, 26 April 2014
No matter what your usual genre preference I urge you to give this a try, I've never read anything quite like it and can't wait for the next book! Ruby and her cohorts are usually pretty successful with their 'surveying' work but Highdown Hall and its erstwhile mistress Cynthia Hart present them with quite a challenge... leading them all into significant danger - Ruby in particular, causing her to question the very core of her beliefs. This book is by turns touching, funny, intriguing and chilling, with the advantage of being set in East Sussex - my favourite county! It's not your usual 'ghost story'...but something really fresh - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rip Roaring Read with Serious Undertones, 22 April 2014
A real page turner, I could barely put this book down. The story is unique, the characters - of which there is a whole cast of them - are very well-drawn. The main case concerning 1950s movie star, Cynthia Hart, kept you on the edge of your seat with plenty of twists and turns, but I also liked all the mini cases, some of them were very touching. some of them were quite funny. As somebody who is interested in all things paranormal, I found some very useful and interesting stuff in here too. I galloped along with it but was sad when it came to an end. However, as this is book one, I hope book two will be along soon - this is a great idea for a TV series.

3.0 out of 5 stars At times it's like reading a teenage romance with shades of Sapphire and ..., 20 Mar. 2015
S. D. Marsh - See all my reviews
Don't expect James Herbert with this book. Although the story is quite interesting, the characters are all a little goody goody for my tastes. At times it's like reading a teenage romance with shades of Sapphire and Steel thrown in.

4.0 out of 5 stars KEEPS YOU GUESSING, NOT THAT SCAREY, 12 Nov. 2014
The basis of this story is about a company called 'Psychic Surveys' run by a young psychic medium called Ruby who works with a team of two other psychic mediums, a trainee, Ruby's boyfriend called Cash and a spirit of a dog called Jed. They are called to a mansion (Highdown Hall) by it's owner to clear the home of a former resident who seemingly refuses to pass over to the other side. But what Ruby expects to be a straight forward 'cross over' turns out to be a lot more complicated than she first thought. The spirit of movie star actress Cynthia Hart seems reluctant or afraid to leave and it is the team's job to find out what is holding her there. They are under pressure by the current day owner, who is a Journalist, to do so as soon as possible and definitely by Christmas Eve as he is expecting company on Christmas Day and threatens to expose them as Charlatans if they don't achieve it. The story is fascinating, amusing in places and keeps you guessing as to who is stopping Cynthia from leaving. Is it The Devil keeping her grounded? That is what Cynthia seems to convey. It is not a really 'dark' supernatural tale so don't expect a blood thirsty horror - Stephen King it certainly is not. But I feel it stays true to spiritualist beliefs and the author has certainly done her research (or she may even be a medium herself....). Whether you are a believer in life after death or not, this book is thoroughly entertaining.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting idea for a low-key ghost story, 10 Mar. 2015
On the whole, I enjoyed this story. The basic story was entertaining and imaginative, combining a developing romance with a mystery with twists. I engaged with the main character, too.

But... If I'd seen this as a beta-reader, I'd have suggested the writer focused on the story, which would have helped maintain the pace. The narrative about the locations didn't help. I know Lewes and I like it too, but it was a diversion from the story. And I thought some of the spiritualism stuff came across as just a little like a lecture.