Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£9.99

on 30 December 2015
Interesting view of past efforts.
on 20 November 2014
Whilst it's got atmosphere from the location it's recorded in - I think I would have preferred to hear a straight up acoustic version of the songs.
on 28 May 2014
Those of you who have scored this album as a 1 or 2 are seriously missing the point!
If I am not mistaken, this was never meant to be a highly polished product. This project was all about realism and authenticity.
A little bit of research as a fan would have given a mighty hint of what to expect before you purchased!
Neil and Jack have come up with a product which was always going to divide opinion and i'm sure they would have been disappointed if it hadn't. It is what it is and I love the fact that you can purchase a 180 gram limited edition vinyl version for hi-fi enthusiasts to get an even poorer result!
A work of art and complete genius from the cantankerous old bugger and his able apprentice and how refreshing to see Mr Young thinking inside the box for a change!!
5 stars

Marshy.
on 3 October 2014
I have to say I did smile when I first heard this new release from Neil. Definitely a case of the 'emperor's new clothes'. Let's be honest it's only real use would be as a standby drinks coaster! Neil's a highly intelligent man who must be having a serious chuckle at this audio 'experiment'. Being a fan since the 70's, I will happily forgive Neil his little excentricities and tongue-in-cheek moments. But on a more serious note, this is an opportunity missed for NY to produce an interesting album of some of his favourite music.

For anyone unfamiliar with his work, this is a definite no-no. Start with After The Goldrush, Harvest, Comes a Time, Rust Never Sleeps, etc. These showcase his talents - 'A Letter Home' should have got lost in the post!
on 13 June 2014
So how did you get the piano in the booth Jack? OK, having not splashed out the gazillions required for the special edition containing the direct booth recording I have no idea what post production was done on the record and whether it was artificially "distressed". What matters is that it works.

For me the highlight is Needle of Death. It is pretty obvious which song the lyrics influenced, the performance makes it explicit how the music influenced Ambulance Blues - one of Neil's very greatest songs. The rest of the selection is almost perfect for the format. I cannot stand Willy Nelson's "Crazy" but that is a personal thing and skipping it is no problem. What is left is a really interesting set of covers.
on 26 June 2014
I must admit I've only listened to this once but on first playing I like it. But doesn't Needle of Death (which I'd never heard before) sound like one of Young's greatest songs, Ambulance Blues - Bert Jansch could have claimed a writing credit it is so close.

Having read the reviews here I'm surprised how many people have referred to the sound quality - unlike some previously poorly (or lazily) recorded records in his back catalogue, this is actually the point in this case!

Finally I'm thinking how did he get his piano in that phone box?
on 28 May 2014
Listen to the songs and not the sound quality, Mr Young up to his usual tricks,like it or lump it .!
on 8 August 2014
Hope Neil will re make the album,in high resolution.
The last song on the album should be......."Why do i keep FU**ING UP!
Mind you the needle of death is a great song,he sings it with feeling.
Two stars because of sound quality,otherwise would have at least four stars.
An ambulance can only go so far...............
on 5 January 2016