Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£14.43

on 10 June 2014
For Warcraft Fans:

Garrosh committed some atrocious crimes in the name of his 'True Horde'. As we found at the end of 'Mists', Garrosh was not to be tried by his enemy King Varian, nor by the swiftness of Thrall's (sorry, Go'el...) Doomhammer, but he was to be tried by the people he probably hurt the most; the people of Pandaria.

And tried literally he would be. This book is the story of the trial of Garrosh Hellscream at The Temple of the White Tiger in northern Pandaria. Taran Zhu presides as Judge and the August Celestial's are there to be the jury. Members past and present of the Horde and Alliance are brought to be called as witnesses to the accused crimes, some just to observe but ALL to see Garrosh burn for the things he had done. But as in all things Warcraft, not everything is destined to go to plan...

The writing is supurb. Christie is a master of imagery and understands the personalities of these characters, from Anduin Wrynn's wisdom and purity of heart past his years, to Vol'Jin's quiet power, to Baine Bloodhoof's nobility despite the always great conflicts of heart he faces and Jaina Proudmoore's both heartfelt and powerfully good side, and her seething, bitter, dark hatred of the Son of Grom. Every character is portrayed *exactly* as you imagine them to be... I could go on, but you should have no fear of if Christie has 'got' the characters. She has. She does every time.

Of course there are some interesting side plots, one involving Sylvanas Windrunner and another involving some of some of Garrosh's old buddies conspiring with a certain dragon, but it is the courtroom drama that is front, center and the star of the show here. We see some sides of characters we haven't seen before, and every revelation to the court will have you bristling, or when certain witnesses are brought forward to give testimony against (or even for) Garrosh (or evidence shown in a *very* novel way...) if you know your WoW lore you'll be putting your head in your hands at knowing what is coming next.

This is up there with Lord of the Clans, Rise of the Horde/Lich King and The Shattering as Christie Golden's best WoW work. If you love the rich lore of Warcraft and want to build yourself up for Warlords of Draenor then there is no better way than reading War Crimes. Buy it.

For Non Warcraft Fans:

If you love fantasy books, Christie Golden is an amazing writer and you cannot fail buying *any* of her books. She can create the most vivid of imagery and brings characters to life with real emotion and depth. Yes, you are going to be at a *massive* loss if you don't know the back story to this book or indeed play the World of Warcraft games... but it could still be a good read anyway. If you want my opinion, if you don't play WoW, don't get this book... but start playing WoW. Learn it's rich and deep story and most of all, once you have played for a while, read Christie's books. They will enrich your enjoyment of WoW to new levels. I'd love to say by not playing WoW you're not missing out but... well... you know... ;)
on 31 July 2014
Great read! Quite different from the other Warcraft books as you get an insight into a range of characters thoughts and feelings from their point of view. The setting is also so different. Rather than traipsing around Azeroth from battle to battle you are in a room with many big lore characters. That does not make it slow paced or boring at all though, the character interaction is great and there is also action involved of course, this is Warcraft after all. Second favourite book after Arthas. Thoroughly recommend!
on 16 May 2016
It's not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed it immensely. I'm a huge fan of WoW lore and this did not disappoint. A word of warning to anyone looking to buy a book packed with heavy action and fighting: this is NOT the book for you. The whole book revolves around the trial of Garrosh Hellscream so there is no fighting at all apart from the ending. I'm not ashamed to admit I got a little teary-eyed at some parts, particularly with Baine Bloodhoof's character development. The only criticism I'd give is the weak ending, as I felt that it was a little rushed. Nevertheless, it was a very good read and I enjoyed every moment of it.

To all my fellow WoW gamers who have read this book: I still think Baine Bloodhoof should have become warchief rather than boring old Vol'jin.
on 15 July 2014
I liked this book, but maybe not as much as Christie Golden's other Warcraft works. There's some great moments, and a really touching subplot with Sylvanas and her sister.

However a lot of the book feels like 'here is all the lore and backstory you need to know before the next wow expansion,' and at times it seems like Golden had to stretch the plot to put it in. Other than that, the ending is an amazing moment that I wish was an ingame instance (because I would play the hell out of it) and Golden writes Garrosh really well, I hope she gets to do more books with him in.
on 9 June 2014
War crimes in another World of Warcraft book that covers the time between expansions and this one covers the end of mists of pandaria and towards the start of Warlords of draenor.

Christie Golden is an excellent writer and captures the horde mentality very well and her books are always a pleasure to read, if your a fan of the game then it's a must read but if you don't follow it, then i'd give it a miss, while its a great book, there is just too much pre-knowledge you need for it to make sense
on 18 December 2014
Amazing, from start to finish. I couldn't bring myself to put it down, honestly. Despite most of the story taking place solely at Garrosh's trial, there was plenty of action and emotion and, indeed, explanation. Enjoyable even if you are not a fan of the Warcraft games themselves, but if you are, this is a must-read. It bridges the gap between Mists of Pandaria and Warlords of Draenor perfectly, and sets up many potentially powerful plotlines for the near - or distant - future.
on 9 June 2014
War Crimes was the first of the WoW books that I read, and I found it to be really interesting and entertaining, to the point that I felt that I had to buy the rest of them, which I did. If you're at all interested in the great world that is Warcraft, then you will very likely enjoy this piece hopefully as much as I did.

Happy reading!
on 22 May 2014
Brilliant book if you want something to read giving you the lore behind warcraft's new expansion warlords of draenor in which we find out how Garrosh escapes. I read this book in a day I enjoyed it that much that since I have got it I have read it three more times and will probably read it again soon.
on 14 June 2014
Amazing writing. As a hardcore longtime gamer I was sucked in from chapter one and couldn't stop reading. It was really well written and all characters we'ved come to know and love was described in vivid detail and their emotions and plotting unparrallel!
on 17 July 2015
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought, though I was a little disappointed by the ending, not the writing but in the characters themselves though Garrosh kept you guessing for a while

A great book for WoW fans