5.0 out of 5 stars I adore this cd
I adore this cd

I was worried when I heard the title track, but I needn't have been

As a lifelong Priest and Halford fan, my opinion is that it is pretty much perfect

It grows, your favourites will change

Its like they looked at everything i love about Priest and put it all in, along with the kitchen sink.

Twists and...
Published 4 months ago by Chris Read

3.0 out of 5 stars Victim of (Mastering) Changes
I'd give this 3.5 stars. This is a solid release but not without flaws.

It's tricky commenting this album. After all it's from one of my favourite bands and I want to love it. My first impressions however, weren't that good. I thought it sounded tired, unenergetic and uninspired. To some degree I still hold to those views but over repeated listens it's proven...
Published 4 months ago by Bertie

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Redeemed-and then some............, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Redeemer of Souls (Audio CD)
after the faux pas of Nostradamus i was less then bothered about a new Priest album,especially with KK Downing out of the picture.after seeing the band 3 times on their Epitaph tour-and being mightily impressed by new guitarist Richie Faulkner,i changed my opinion.when this arrived i was concerned by the fact it was self produced-never a good thing,you need an unbiased ear for these things.upon the first listen i was not keen,guitars sounded muted/low in the mix plus the production seemed a tad stilted.after 4 complete plays,i find my view totally changed.running through from start to finish at a decent volume picks up the subtle nuances laid down.although it is nothing ground breaking-but what is these days ?-i now think it is excellent.some great songs,riffs,musicianship really make this a great album.often side-lined,Ian Hill`s bass guitar really sounds high in the mix and adds to the scorching vocals,drums and guitars....all in all,a belter and one for any Priest fan-old and new.

5.0 out of 5 stars The priest is back!!, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Redeemer of Souls (Audio CD)
Being a fan since sad wings I have followed priest through the good and bad times, bad meaning 'point of entry' turbo and nostradamus, but redeemer of souls is an absolute classic, the metal gods are back with vengeance, hope they do a uk tour!! Richie Faulkner has really stepped up to the mark, it is a shame about kk but I think hes made his millions and would rather play golf lol,any priest fan will love this cd

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC A MUST BUY, 23 Sep 2014
Barry (Stoke-on-Trent. Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Redeemer of Souls (Audio CD)
Absolutely brilliant ,alway's been a fan of priest ,and have all of their output ,a worthy 5 stars cannot fault any song as all are a winner in my book ,just a word though I have bought the Deluxe edition ,but I will rebuy the jewel case edition as even though the book is nice ,beware when removing discs ,mine are both scratched ,they are a tight fit in the card cases which hold them ,if it was a digi pack then discs would remain unmarked ,but unfortuately that is the case with these type of packaging ,I had the same experience with 'Doro's 'Warrior Soul' and 'Classic Diamonds' which come in book type edition's, but moaning aside ,Fan's will buy this cd which ever form it comes in ,keep rocking guy's ,and gall's and add this to your collection .'Long live Priest'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back With A Vengance., 21 July 2014
This review is from: Redeemer of Souls (Audio CD)
JP Back on form excellent new album, I made an extravagant choice in the Deluxe 2cd version but well worth every penny with the pre-order cost. 18 tracks of new material from the Metal masters, Rob Halford holds the vocals well despite his age, as the rest of the band pound through the heavy tracks seemingly unstoppable. The Ballads are quite good also the vocals are just as strong as are the backing of the rest of the band. I must admit though the last track on Cd2 leaves me feeling as though he and the band are saying farewell as if this was their final output, I do hope I am wrong as this album proves this old dog is not for being dead and buried but if it is this band will continue to live in me and all fans when playing their music again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Tuesday afternoon and the Priest is back!, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Redeemer of Souls (Audio CD)
For many years, the minds of men will be baffled with the question of what went wrong with Nostradamus. However, it is a question that no longer needs answering (although I'd still like to know), for the lords (or is it gods? Are Sabbath still the lords?) of heavy metal have returned with a triumphant slab of goodness.

This is a shocker of an album for me - I was fully prepared for another terrible disappointment, not just after Nostradamus, but after all the hilarious Learn Guitar With David Brent style videos they release with new album snippets, and what seemed to be a lack of energy in tracks like March of the Damned and the title track itself. The best I could hope for was some good old Halford hilarity to cushion the blow.

But by Halford, they've only gone and done it. Dare I say it, but Redeemer of Souls seems to be even better than Angel of Retribution, and in many ways I prefer it to Painkiller too. Painkiller of course was a fantastic and pounding metal album, but I always found it to be a bit samey, and I still find it tough to listen all the way through in one session without my ears getting tired. Redeemer hearkens back to the more musically diverse earlier periods of Priest's career, and this is a very lovely thing indeed.

We kick off with Dragonaut (and that clap of thunder), which is certainly nothing new, but is a nice safe fast and heavy track to launch the album. The chorus is a bit non-eventful as with some other tracks on the album, but as a whole, it's a good bit of fun. Then comes the title track, which, when listened as part of the album, somehow seems much more enjoyable and energetic than when listened to on its own. I don't know how, it's the same song, but it just works better as part of the album. The same goes for March of the Damned - I found this song incredibly boring when I first heard it, but again, as part of the whole album, I found myself nodding along and getting a good powerful enjoyment from one of those simple-but-effective riffs Priest have done so well in the past (e.g. the chorus of Beyond the Realms...). Just goes to show that it's not always a good idea to release loads of stuff online before the album is released - you always feel a bigger impact when you listen to the whole lot in the way it is supposed to be listened. I'm sure I'll be saying the same of Opeth's Cusp of Eternity when their new album is released next month, but that is for another day.

Halls of Valhalla is where things really start to get marvellous. Very marvellous indeed. We finally get some proper dual guitar action (reminiscent of Deep Purple's Burn in the mid-section), and most importantly, we get that scream we've all been waiting for. As Halford cries, "VALHALLAAAAAA!" you know you're in for a real treat. The speed is perfect, the energy is great, and basically it's just bloody brilliant.

Sword of Damocles is magnificent! Things slow down into a heavy swinging rhythm, but this is majestic and heavy, very powerful and wonderful. The chorus is fantastic, the main riff is just rocking and great, and the whole song just a monster. By this point, it is clear that the Priest are certainly back, and they mean business this time. Perhaps it's all these great first few songs that make March of the Damned seem more fun when it arrives - after all the exciting goodness, it's nice to sink into a more mid-paced Metal Gods-style march-along, and even though the chorus is a bit throwaway, on the whole it's an enjoyable enough song.

The rest of the album is all good, there just really isn't a bad song at all. The two weak points for me are Metalizer - which is more concerned more with speed and Painkiller-style riffage than musical goodness and while that may sound like a good thing, it just doesn't get me going in the same way as Valhalla does - and Secrets of the Dead, which has a nice atmosphere and starts off interestingly enough (a little like A Touch of Evil), and does have some great moments, but as a whole it just seems a bit directionless and doesn't have the conviction of some of the other tracks.

Other highlights include Down in Flames, which is basically amazing with a fantastic rousing dual guitar intro and a powerful chorus which you will definitely enjoy singing along to; Crossfire, which pays homage to the wah-wah bass joy of Geezer Butler and is an all round great and catchy song; and Cold Blooded, which is a great mini-epic with a variety of tempos and some very powerful moments.

But most glorious of all is Battle Cry. This is the song we've all been waiting for, and wonderfully, Priest have saved the best slice of heavy metal until last, delivering an onslaught of glorious harmonies and speed and supreme Halford power. As he has grown older, Halford's mid-range has become more and more powerful, and he displays this most of all in the pre-chorus of Battle Cry, the power is beyond belief and frankly is just too much to behold. Absolutely glorious. This final slice of heavy metal leaves us with no doubt that the Priest truly are back, with the last stain of Nostradamus' memory fully erased, and dare I say it, the sadness of KK's departure nearly forgotten. Of course he will always be missed, but Richie Faulker has done a fine job fitting in here. His solos soar and thrill, and even if he does somewhat lack that passionate feel KK delivered (i.e. cool motorbike sounds), his technical ability cannot be questioned at all.

The album closes with Beginning of the End, which is an unexpected and very lovely way to close the album. It's emotional without being cheesy (unlike the bonus track Never Forget... more on that shortly), and it has a very moving and poignant chorus. A nice bit of calm after the fantastic heavy metal storm we have just been pounded with.

The bonus tracks are well worth a listen, but you can see why they weren't included in the main album - they don't quite fit in, and aren't quite up to the standard set by tracks like Valhalla, Damocles and Battle Cry. They are still good though, and are definitely worth getting the Deluxe edition of the album for. The final bonus track, Never Forget, is worthy of mention for the hilarious and almost unbearable cheesiness. I certainly appreciate the sentiment in this song, but I'll just say I am extremely glad this remained as a bonus track. However I can imagine that after a few drops of ale, I will enjoy very much singing along to this song, especially the fantastically hilarious key change towards the end. Brilliant stuff.

As for the production of the album, I didn't like it much at first - but then I realised it began to feel like it had a kind of 80s sound to it, which is pretty nice. Whether that was the intention or not I don't know, but it's actually nice to have a more vintage and less polished sound rather than the horrendous trigger-dominated sound of modern metal, which has churned out a generation of robot bands with no soul. And soul is exactly what we have with Redeemer - plenty of genuine heavy metal heart and passion that could only come from the mighty Priest. They have done themselves proud, and I hope this really is just the beginning of the end, rather than the, erm, end of the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars 17 new high quality songs !, 16 July 2014
Redeemer of Souls - Judas Priest

18 new tracks on 2 cds.
I am delighted with this.
17 new high quality songs !
[ there is only 1 that I dont much like, track 13 ]
So many very good and impressive tracks.
My outstandingly great best fave track is
Cold blooded [ 8 ] : this is a superb dark menacing epic with really great guitar sections.

> Other great faves are:
Metalizer
Secrets of the dead
Halls of valhalla
Never forget [ from cd 2 ]

And other good songs are:
Redeemer
Down in flames
Creatures [ from cd 2 ]
Tears of blood [ from cd 2 ]
Hell and back
Dragonaut.

This is a new revitalised Priest.
Faulkner brought good young blood and new ideas, and plays very well indeed.
Brilliant Rob is still singing magnificently and writing some very good lyrics, with good rhyming.

Priest have just proved they can still deliver the high quality rocking goods.
They also shine so brightly like lightning swords firing out of a big demon's firey maw.
Rock on ! Feast on Priest !
And here is a new chant to sing at Priest concerts...
"Shout it loud to Priest who you are
when you live and die by guitar"
[ sing it to the tune of the chorus in 'Sword of damocles' song ]

My sincere thanks to all Priest band members, past and present. :)
I have listened to these new tracks about 8 times so far, and most of em get even better with every listen. I am happily addicted.
Now I must go listen to more wonderful great 'Fortress' cd by Alter Bridge, and then wind down to some Black Stone Cherry rockin. And then back for more Priest tomorrow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 5 Sep 2014
David R. Walters (Huntingdon, Cambs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Wow!
Never 5-star, glad tho I am JP have made a new album, it's 'probably' not as good as their best, so, therefore, cannot be 5 star. That doesn't matter. We are SO lucky to still be getting NEW albums from these old rockers...what will we do when they do stop? I have been expecting no more once they reached 50, now they are all into their 60's! Look at Magnum, the two main men are nearly 68 and STILL producing album after album of great new stuff.

This sounds good to me on first listen...heavy, but the pace changes quite often which is good. Good sound too, not all mushy like a lot of stuff these days. I'm 54 and tho I like some metal I tend to favour Magnum, Heep, Purple etc, but for a blast out this is great! Priest are a bit too 'cheesy' HM...I mean, look at their clothes, and the song titles..dear oh dear. They may have been original, but I kind of like stuff to sound good without it needing that image.
The first Priest album I bought was Painkiller, then the double compilation. The earlier stuff was a bit 'thin'....more tinfoil than heavy metal, and of course a bit 'poppy' too. This is powerful and I will play it a lot more than most of the few albums of theirs I own, see how it goes/grows. Great on first listen...even more so when considering their age. Sabbath's 13 is also excellent for well-structured and heavy rock. It really is YET another great year from the oldies - Magnum, Heep, Ian Anderson, Asia, Glenn Hughes...Tom Petty, Wishbone Ash...and last year's Purple and Sabbath. Will these new albums keep coming to see me into retirement? That would make these guys over 70 for sure. We'll see.

For now, at the heavier end of rock, this will do nicely!

4.0 out of 5 stars Return to form, 4 Aug 2014
Eleanor Hamilton "mini_hamilton" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Redeemer of Souls (Audio CD)
If like me you liked Priest back in the 70s but found them cartoonish and generic afterwards there is much that you will find familiar. Best album since Stained Class. The extra CD is worthwhile too.

5.0 out of 5 stars judas maiden, 22 July 2014
This review is from: Redeemer of Souls (Audio CD)
Much better than Nostradamus if anything it reminds me almost of Iron Maiden and I still haven't worked out if that is a good thing or not. Since I am enjoying it I can only say it is.
If there is a negative it is the awful packaging, it comes in a book not a case - the CDs are pretty hard to extract and most of the writing is damn hard to read with my old eyes although the lyrics are in normal typeface I would rather the normal case and inlay booklet.
Minor point indeed so 5 stars - buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... this album 20 times now and it just gets better with every listen, 12 Aug 2014
Mr. Nr Delve "SIMON (CRUSADER)DELVE" (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Redeemer of Souls (Audio CD)
i must have played this album 20 times now and it just gets better with every listen,for me it's the best judas priest album since painkiller.buy it and play these metal gods loud.

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

Redeemer of Souls
Redeemer of Souls by Judas Priest (Audio CD - 2014)