Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 2 June 2014
When you are one of the most influential bands ever, but haven't recorded anything of note, either together or separately, for 20 years, then lose one of your keynote sounds ( Kim Deal's bass) from those early 'classics', you are courting disaster. What's more, the angular, jagged, odd tempo originality of your early work has been taken up by everybody since and become 'mainstream'.
If this were not a Pixies' album, it would be hailed as one of the best indie-pop recordings of the year ( with nods to producer Gil Norton and his engineer Dan Austin), with tracks 'What Goes Boom', 'Greens and Blues', 'Bagboy' and title track 'Indie Cindy' as outstanding examples of indie-pop at it's best - only 'Ring The Bell' let's the side down but 11/12 isn't bad! There was never going to be a 'Bone Machine' here, so accept this album for what it is - brilliant indie-pop for the 21st century.
on 30 April 2014
I've heard all these songs before (which is why it gets 4 stars rather than 5), on the three recent EPs, and that does detract somewhat from the experience of hearing a first new Pixies album in 23 years. Is it still fun though? Sure, but don't expect the Pixies of Surfer Rosa, Doolittle and Bossanova. There's glimpses of what they did on those three records, but Indie Cindy is much more in the style of Frank Black's solo work or Trompe Le Monde; a Pixies album that was probably more Frank Black than it was the band. The whole album does remind me very much of Frank's eponymous album or Teenager of the Year.

Kim Deal is gone, and you'll know it in your mind, but you might not notice it had you not known she'd left (sorry Kim). The stand ins do a decent job on the bass. The guitars of Joey are still there; swirling and mind-blowing. It's definitely the Pixies, they've just got older; like all bands do.

The stand out songs are What Goes Boom, Indie Cindy and Magdalena 318; the last one a track that bears a bit of a similarity to Ana and is possibly the most early sounding Pixies song on the album. The video is definitely reminicsent of songs on the earlier albums, and certainly from the mind of Frank Black.

You'll want this if you're a Pixies completionist, but if you're not that and money is a bit tight then remember that these are the same songs as on the EPs. If you have them then you've got everything on this album. There's also the Limited Edition double album for those that want the extras. It's got a great collection of songs on it from a recent concert. The price is a bit steep but is probably worth it for the 40 page book. That, again, would depend on your fiscal state.

It's definitely the Pixies, and you'll love it if you've ever been a fan. You just might be a bit disappointed that it's only the EPs compiled. As for the style, well we've all aged with the band, so perhaps it's just what we all need nowadays. Something unmistakeably Pixies, but a little less raucous for our ageing ears.
on 21 July 2014
As a long time Pixies fan of some maturity I was curious as to what new Pixies music might sound like. Unfortunately I made the classic mistake of reading reviews and consequently it took me some time to listen to this properly. I think it's excellent. I enjoy it more than Trampe Le Monde and anyone who thought it would trump earlier releases was in cloud cuckoo land anyway. Albums like Doolittle and Bossanova come along very rarely, for a band to produce two faultless gems puts them up there at the very top of rock n roll.

Apart from here on Amazon I've never read a good review of this cd, but I think it is engaging, electric, edgy, exciting, tuneful, and progressive. All the things I ask of the Pixies. Goes to show what I long suspected, professional music reviewers are more interested in a story and an angle than they are in objective analysis. Most of them are young and can't face up to the facts - their parents and grand parents invented rock, and they've done nothing with it.
on 28 April 2014
I don't often write reviews, but given that I've been a fan of Pixies since their heyday and my mixed feelings about this album I thought, why not? In a nutshell, Indie Cindy is pretty much what I'd expected and, I suppose, feared.

The first 4 tracks are magic and would happily slot into any of their live sets and almost into their back catalog. It's such a huge delight to hear these tracks, it sounds and feels like them and serves as a reminder why they're so loved.
Things seem hit and miss from there. I feel 'Ring the Bell' and 'Andro Queen' both fall flat and are the weakest points on the album. 'Blue Eyed Hexe' begins as if it were related to 'U-Mass' from Trompe le Monde, but doesn't really go anywhere and remains one dimensional except for Black Francis' screaming which sounds slightly out of place and more contrived than it once did.
Given that Pixies albums usually clock in at under 40 minutes, maybe I would have found the album more satisfactory if they'd ditched a couple of the below-par tracks.
Another Toe In The Ocean is a favorite of mine, however, there's no denying because of it's polished, conventional structure it's as if it belongs to Frank Black's Teenager of the Year rather than anything by Pixies. Things end on a high note with 'Snakes' and 'Jamie Bravo' which, convinces me, overall, it's very good to have a new Pixies album.

Indie Cindy hasn't disappointed me, I wasn't expecting them at their best. 23 years have passed, they're different people and it's irrational to expect them to write the same songs they once did, some reviews in the press have been unnecessarily scathing.
I think most fans will be thrilled with about half of it and moderately pleased with the other.
on 14 July 2014
I love this album. Too many people have been sniffy about it. What's your problem? It's a great record and I think Kim made a big mistake in not wanting to do new material. There are lots of great Pixie moments here. It's not about trying to re-create the past, it's about moving on and adding to the legacy.
on 21 February 2015
I expected very little of this album. For me Trompe Le Monde, their last album 23 years ago, was their weakest (although being The Pixies it still featured moments of absolute brilliance) and now that Kim had gone and all the internal troubles in between, I was reticent to even listen to it.

However, I was really surprised. There is tons of Pixies goodness here and in fact I prefer it to Trompe Le Monde in spades. It's very melodic, employing the Pixies' classic use of dark/light, loud/quiet. It's very good, not quite 5 stars as that's Doolittle level in my book, but really very good. Far better than the majority of material from any band since the Pixies, for me they've still got it.
It's only 23 years late. But would you know? Aside from a handful of production tricks (a distinctly loud, compressed sound, a certain guitar tone), Pixies - without Kim Deal (mostly) - follow up 1991's "Trompe Le Monde" with the long overdue "Indie Cindy". Having not listened to it in EP form - all the material is new to me, and none of it blunted by familiarity. As an album, "Indie Cindy" is a short experience (45 minutes on CD, with an extra song only on the Record Store Day vinyl release). ; the live CD that comes with the mailorder deluxe edition is only 35 minutes long.

But how does it sound? It sounds like Pixies recorded cover versions of 70 Frank Black solo songs, added their own spin to them, and honed it down to the most Pixie-ish dozen. Some of the songs deserve to stand up as classic Pixies ("Bagboy", "Snakes", "Blue Eyed Hexe" could have all sat happily on any of their albums), The sunniest element of the band - the perverted surf riffs, the atonal whimsy, the random Spanish interlude and the breezy sense of wind in the hair and open top sports car are plastered all over the record. Certainly, had this ever been a Frank Black solo record, no one would ever know the difference and decry him for copying himself. Certainly, departed bassist Kim Deal is audibly present on backing vocals (though actually uncannily impersonated), but on other tracks, also certainly absent and replaced by layers of Frank Black falsetto elsewhere. But is it a bad album? Not at all. You cannot bottle lightning, and it is not, and can never be Pixies as was, but here and there, flashes of Pixiedom escape, the essence of Pixies is there in spades, it's a new vision of the old ideals, and "Indie Cindy" is - well, certainly one of the best and most vibrant reunion records - you could listen to it and be forgiven for thinking that only a couple of years, and not 23, have passed since the last time an album of new Pixies songs was recorded. What goes Boom? Everything.
44 comments|21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 April 2014
I have loved the pixies for many years, so I was worried about this album, I never bothered buying the eps , and the mixed reviews didn't fill me with hope. I had no reason to worry as this is a really good rock and roll album, but it sounds more like a frank black solo album than the pixies. The problem is Kim Deal was a massive part of the pixies sound , and now she is gone, is sadly missed, but Don't let that put you off songs like what goes boom and blue eyed Hexe are upbeat rockers which will make your head rock and your feet tap. Magdalena 318 the most pixies sounding tune on the album is laid back and cool and would have sat well on Doolittle , bag boy is just odd, but then so is frank black. So not strictly a pixies album , but this is a dam good guitar album, and that's all us indie rock fans can ask for in a world of RNB .
on 4 June 2014
I’m in the camp of most people who were initially disappointed and let down on first listen of EP-1-3. I almost didn't buy this album, but did so in the end out of loyalty to one of the greatest bands of all time. I felt the songs on the EP relied too heavily on Weezer style “chuga chuga” rhythm guitar and were sorely missing Joey’s creative and inventive leads, and the songs were inferior pastiches of past glories and too conventional by half for a band whose individuality and creativity left behind a sea of dross in their wake all those years ago.

How wrong was I. The negative reviews and disappointment for me hinge on the fact that the big singles we were expecting to rival “Velouria” or “Monkey Gone To Heaven” are not here, but in the context of the album over repeated listens I was very pleasantly surprised to find myself warming to it, and after the fifth listen I’m finding it very hard to listen to anything else. For me it’s in the more subtle and beautiful moments such as “Greens and Blues”, “Magdalena” and “Andro Queen” where this album is a success, where they are not trying so hard to match the youthful ferocity of their earlier albums, and it’s in these quieter moments that I believe they have evolved from and even surpassed the more laid back tracks from “Bossanova” and “Trompe Le Monde”.

“Another Toe in the Ocean” is a very Frank Black sounding song reminiscent of but much better than “Men in Black” from “Cult of Ray”, and as I initially wanted the pure Pixies back in all their former glory, after letting it grow the whole album sounds to me like a warm and welcome cousin of the first two Frank Black albums and “Trompe Le Monde”, and while it initially deflated my expectations, the charm and charisma of this album has slowly inflated them back.

My only criticisms would be the chorus to “Blue Eyed Hex” which comes off as the conventional “Kiss” style cock-rock posturing which they were always an antithesis to, and the lazy chorus to “Bag Boy”, which consists of Charles and a Kim Deal impersonator repeatedly shouting “bag boy” non-convincingly and is a let down from the very promising intro.

Small criticisms aside I find it hard to believe that Charles still has it in him to write songs and lyrics of this caliber, after so many decades and hundreds upon hundreds of melodies and lyrical source materials you would have thought the tunes would have all dried up.

It’s only after repeated listens that this album really reveals itself, I would highly recommend that any Pixies or Frank fan who was disappointed with the EP’s give this a chance to grow and get its hooks into you – in no time you’ll be singing “Magdalena, you’re the meanest” in the car and getting funny looks on the way to work.
on 8 March 2015
For those of you looking to revisit the past with this album, you're perhaps not giving the Pixies enough credit. While there are tracks on the album that will certainly bring flashes of Bossanova or Tromp Le Monde to mind, Indy Cindy feels like a logical extension of The Pixies discography, rather than a revisiting of past glories. With a smoother approach to production than ever before, you can expect a more subtle, less raw sound, and this is not necessarily a bad thing. A side effect, though, is that individual talents take a back seat to the overall dynamic, and you may find yourself missing the way the entire balance of a Pixie's song could hang on a lick from an unchained Joey Santiago, or a muted aside from Kim Deal, or that palpably earnest "unrehearsed" quality of a younger Frank Black.

The album veers quite happily onto the verges of good pop, calm but satisfying, and sometimes you'd be forgiven for calling to mind Frank Black's solo efforts , but there's still that unmistakable Pixies edge and tone and flippant disregard for categorisation, and songs like Blue Eyed Hexe and Magdalena will have you cursing the lost years between albums.