5.0 out of 5 stars Further development of a trail blazing utterly unique band.
To get this off my chest immediately, 'Once More 'Round the Sun' is a culmination of all that Mastodon have nailed in the past. It contains elements from all their previous albums, with their progressive metal sound providing the backbone as ever. I'd say it's a combination of the pure metal from 'Blood Mountain' combined with the genre defying Mastodon progressive-ness...
Published 4 months ago by Smatch

3.0 out of 5 stars The "Déjà-vu" paradigm
The first image that came to my mind after listening to this new album was "auto-pilot". The band has delivered some seriously highly inspired albums in the past years, change their ways and approach with a constant evolution. With "Once more...", Mastodon offers a good album of high class metal, extremely well-played, but with all ingredients taken from...
Published 4 months ago by Phil On

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait!, 15 Aug 2014
This review is from: Once More Round The Sun (Audio CD)
Heavy!! This album was worth the wait! Mastodon truly are a cut above.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 29 Aug 2014
beautiful, heavy, rocky, but yet poppy, riffs worthy of satan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 July 2014
Amazing Album - Must have for anyone into rock/metal

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 24 Oct 2014
This review is from: Once More Round The Sun (Audio CD)
Really great album! That's it, sit back and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was worried..., 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: Once More Round The Sun (Audio CD)
I have to say that I was worried about this album. The singles did not help allay my worries, but as soon as they started streaming it on iTunes a few days ago, I gave it a listen through and was delighted at how good it was. I gave it a few more listens, and as I write this now it's blaring away at high volume. It's really, really good. Even the singles sound much better and make more sense in the context of the album. There are some truly awesome moments too, that almost make my hair stand on end. I really love 'Asleep in the Deep', though I haven't noticed anyone else single this out as a favourite track. I love the chorus on that one. I found 'The Motherload' too catchy at first, but it's depth and power is really growing on me. 'Tread Lightly' is a superb opening song and really draws you into the album. Another standout is 'Halloween'.

So, I've probably only listened to the album 5-6 times, but instead of getting familiar, it's revealing more and more intricacy and layers, and that is a thrilling sign of quality and longevity. I have to say that for some reason I am surprised at how good it is...it is so great that there is a band out there like this still putting out music of this quality, complexity, thoughtfulness, and best of all, you can tell from their videos and interviews that they really like each other and just love playing together.

I'm a very happy Mastodon (and music) fan! I got very heavily into Meshuggah whilst waiting for this album to appear, and I started to get worried that now anything Mastodon put out wouldn't be as engaging and powerful as what I was now accustomed to, but I am delighted to proved wrong. Long may Mastodon continue!

5.0 out of 5 stars As always..., 25 Aug 2014
This review is from: Once More Round The Sun (Audio CD)
It's mastodon, always an excellent adventure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great album from Mastodon, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Once More Round The Sun (Audio CD)
Another great album from Mastodon. "Motherload" & "Chimes At Midnight" & "Diamond In The Witch House" &... Ah whatever, they are all stand out tracks on this one!

2.0 out of 5 stars the love affair is over, 27 July 2014
Soze (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once More Round The Sun (Audio CD)
Mastodon continue to travel down paths I'm not interested in. The follow up to the equally underwhelming The Hunter sees the band continue to plough down a more commercial, radio friendly road. I adored this band up to and including the spectacular Crack the Skye but the heavier, proggier, more complex stuff of old seems to have been jettisoned on these 2 albums. I can see them picking up more and more fans but for me, the love affair is over.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 13 Sep 2014
This review is from: Once More Round The Sun (Audio CD)
There's no other group like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic album by an incredible band, 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: Once More 'Round The Sun [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
another tour de force :-) superb

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›