Published 6 months ago by BA Knowles

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new in here...
Published 3 months ago by S.M. Gidley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend - totally changed my thinking about my sugar consumption, 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: Sweet Nothing (Paperback)
Sugar: I never thought I was an over-enthusiastic consumer of this recently introduced product to the human race. I don't have a sweet tooth, I don't add it to drinks - and neither am I someone who has to have the latest highfalutin smoothie or diet something-or-other at key points during the day. But, like the author, I enjoy sushi and other 'health' foods such as granola and a decent glass of wine...turns out these preferences in my diet are most likely contributing to my hard-to-shift muffin top. I really enjoyed this memoir on two levels: the author's personal journey in eradicating the white stuff from her diet and the amount of research there was in it to back her approach and perspective up. I recommend this to anyone who wants to make changes to their lifestyle and their sugar consumption.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new in here..., 12 Sep 2014
S.M. Gidley (Sidmouth, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweet Nothing (Paperback)
This is an OK read about a very important topic, but really most of what is in here has been said before elsewhere and with more credence (eg discussions around the clinical research). Having said this, it is the memoir element of the book (how a normal person gets off sugar) which for some people will provide most traction as Mowbray takes great pains to show that it is possible and the benefits that it brought her, on this she cannot be faulted, and if it inspires people to reduce their intake then job done (and well done!).

However, the over-reliance on James Duigan’s Clean and Lean book and subsequent quotes from him and references to his Bodyism gym (and nutritional products) made a lot of the book feel as if she was warming over other people’s ideas (as well as promoting someone else’s business). A similar discussion around sugar, and how insulin affects the body as well as how fat isn’t as evil as we thought can be found better explained and discussed in any of Dr John Briffa’s books.

The main issue I had with this book (and, indeed, with many newly published books) is the laughable level of copy editing. There are elements of copy which are repeated, and in one case a chunk of a quote which reappears again just over the page.

The wrong version of rein/reign is used. As well as the real stinker of a sentence: “A bit of researching revealed to me that it’s a completely empirical statement, in other words it’s never been proved in a clinical setting.” Someone needed to look up the meaning of empirical, I think.

Yet this isn’t surprising when you consider that in the final chapter we find out she was still writing it in March 2014, but it was published just three months later in June. Seems like a case of trying to cash in on the low-sugar wave…

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and very honest, 15 Oct 2014
This review is from: Sweet Nothing (Paperback)
I read Nicole's article in Vogue summer 2013 and related to her story so much I decided to try the Clean and Lean diet for myself. I was delighted to see she had released a book but having read it I have to say I was a little disappointed. I felt the book wasn't as snappy and inspiring as her article, especially when explaining how turning to a clean and sugar free lifestyle had formed a divide between her and the people in her life. This was a little disheartening for me trying to follow in her footsteps but I think in all fairness she was being completely honest about her transformation. It is a challenge in this day and age, and not everyone will want to join you on your ride to clean living. I absolutely still enjoyed the read and applaud Nicole for her success in not only her personal health and wellbeing but also for producing a book (and numerous articles) encouraging people to good health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Sweet Nothing (Kindle Edition)
I share all the symptoms Nicole mentioned in her book and was amazed to think of the damage sugar can cause. It was easy to read, I love Nicole' s stories about her own experience and I finished reading it in a day! It has inspired me, informed me and entertained me. It makes sense. I began today. I'd recommend to anyone 100%.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Sweet Nothing (Paperback)
LOVE this book! Haven't finished reading it yet but feel so inspired and have already started having less sugar. Terrible headaches for first few days but feel great less than a week later. Really easy reading and thoroughly enjoyable. Interesting and humorous.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite easy to read but could have done with a few ..., 3 July 2014
This review is from: Sweet Nothing (Kindle Edition)
Quite easy to read but could have done with a few more tips and less about the authors private life

4.0 out of 5 stars a practical guide on how to eliminate hidden sugar from your diet, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: Sweet Nothing (Kindle Edition)
This contemporary book covering 2012-2014 is well researched and well written. Nicole is a true sugar addict. If she can come off sugar, anyone can. It's sensible, practical and often very funny. Easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was factual but also very easy to read, 18 July 2014
This review is from: Sweet Nothing (Kindle Edition)
This was such an interesting and honest account of giving up sugar. It was factual but also very easy to read, and very helpful for anyone wanting to learn about nutrition without reading a scientific book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cutting down on sugar for the benefit if you health., 27 July 2014
This review is from: Sweet Nothing (Paperback)
I recommend this book if you want to change to a healthier lifestyle.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 30 July 2014
G. Davies (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweet Nothing (Paperback)
Easy to read book about author's experiences of giving up sugar.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›