on 28 April 2014
As a bit of a Chris Robinson completist I have to say i was a bit wary of this one when it landed on the doormat this morning. The album has had a very low key release build up and there seems to be little or no corresponding release promotion - at least in the UK. Not usually a good sign. I enjoyed the first two CRB releases but thought they lacked something in terms of songwriting and although i played them a lot when released they have found their way into the long tail of my CD collection.. Having played this four times however I am much more impressed and I am falling for it big time. A weighty sixty five mintes on offer, songs with tunes even occasional choruses a much more focussed rock album that the first two.
This time round CRB are what they always said they would be , a great ( laid back) psychedelic rock band, much of the meandering has been trimmed and almost all of the songs have more definate begining, middle and end. You could say its more Little feat than Greatful dead this time round. The intricacies of in particular Neal Casals guitar playing are already running around in my head and the albums layers are beginning to reveal themselves. Chris Robinsons vocals are in keeping with the first two albums and therefore less dynamic than his style with the Black Crowes. Not really sure yet what the songs are about yet , a lyric sheet would certainly have come in useful
In terms of summary , Its probably not a out and out classic and the star rating is more reflective of my pleasant surprise at how much better than expected i found this album. I look forward to a New Black crowes album should one ever arrive but in the meantime this will do fine to help soundtrack the ( long hot ?) summer of 2014
on 30 May 2014
What I can here is magnificent but the surface noise on the LP sounds like it was pressed in 1924 by Paramount Records or was some one frying eggs & bacon in the studio? The packaging is absolutley beautiful the art and coloured vinyl is superb and a hi bench mark for vinyl packaging. The look is what makes an LP collectors heart skip a beat and is why I cannot bring myself to return the LP. If the album is repressed I will have to purchase again, as it stands I will have to buy the CD.
4 stars for the music but 1 for the quality of the pressing. amazon should have optional ratings: music content 4 / music quality 0
on 18 May 2014
great album, do not buy vinyl though, loads of noise on second disc. im hoping amazon will replace/refund without having to return as package is a work of art. band have promised to repress a.s.a.p
on 11 May 2014
Big Moon Ritual was one of my favourite albums of 2012 and to a lesser extent The Magic Door. Therefore, I was really looking forward to Phosphorescent Harvest. However, after the first couple of hearings I was seriously underwhelmed.
First track Shore Power is straight forward 70's boogie and the second track, About A Stranger, appears to repeat guitar licks from Star or Stone (I think) from Big Moon Ritual.
However, the album then clicks into gear with Badlands Here We Come - a wonderful track. Wanderer's Lament and Tornado are classic ballads.
In fact with repeated plays (and I have been playing it constantly this past week) it all comes together and I found it very enjoyable. Let's be clear....there is nothing original here - it could easily have been released in the early 1970's (the cover gives it away) but there is quality throughout. If you enjoyed the first two albums then you will enjoy this one as well.
on 28 July 2014
Another great psychedelic record from the chris Robinson brotherhood, a good late nite record , obviously in the same vain as the grateful dead,of which my dad was a big fan, so I was fortunate to explore the live records , in a away making me accustomed to the 70's sound which this record encompasses. If you like the black crowes records you'll love this record, obviously there's something in there water supply!!, it's seems like some sort of conscious experiment, which Im willing to follow. Not many bands doing this anymore, so it seems there flying the flag for musical freedom. Jerry Garcia would have loved it!:)
on 7 September 2014
I know the keyboard sounds have eft many people feeing disappointed with this album. I, however, think this is a great set of songs and pay this abum often. Chris' vocas are as strong and unique as ever and his lyrics continue to catch you off guard. Nice one.
on 20 August 2014
Another great album from the CRB. I have always been a big fan of the Crowes and the Solo work the members have put out.
This like the previous 2 albums, The Magic Door & Big Moon Ritual, this is a great jam album.
I don't like to point out specific songs as I feel albums should be listened to in full, from start to finish this is a winner.
10 songs to lift and relax you. Long live the CRB and I hope that they hurry to these shores soon for some long overdue Live shows.
on 4 June 2014
5 stars because its a great album , buy it on CD . or wait for the 2nd vinyl pressing, cos this ones dire...

This should have been the best , but they screwed up , with the worst plastic ever.
The discs looked fabulous in dayglo orange & maroon coloured vinyls. But alas sounded hideous.
clicks , pops , scrapes & whooshes ruining all 4 sides of the music.

Returned to Amazon.

I'm not alone , many , many others have reported similar issues with this vinyl.

The record company are well aware of this massive problem & have duly promised to address & resolve the issue for a 2nd pressing.

Heres hoping they get it right next time.
on 26 February 2015
For me, Chris Robinson's voice is worth listening to whatever the quality of the material. He is quite simply brilliant. I also like the fact that this album is a bit more accessible than his other recent material. His voice is ideal to seduce you into a good old sing song whilst on the road which is when I find time to listen to much of my music. Unfortunately his solo material, whilst very worthy, doesn't always give the same opportunity. It lends itself more to listening to it in a darkened room with no other distractions, a luxury I don't often have. This album changes all that. Much more upbeat and varied, I think it has something for every Robinson fan. A really good album.
on 21 June 2014
Awesome record containing very beautiful songs and intriguing packaging. The only problem, a big problem in my opinion, is the pressing of the vinyls. Bad pressing with lot of surface noise as stated by others purchasers too!