5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner
Picked this book up and literally could not put it down. Beautifully written, Nick manages to draw you in, captivating you with every twist and turn as the main character gets dragged ever deeper into an unknown world, uprooting her beliefs. Cleverly penned - I am already looking forward to the sequel. Hurry up!
Published 3 months ago by Nicola Wiggins

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special and there are a lot of others like it. I guess there might be follow ups ...
Nothing special and there are a lot of others like it. I guess there might be follow ups but I won't be bothering
Published 9 days ago by Muskrat

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner, 21 May 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Couldn't put it down., 22 May 2014
This review is from: The Whisper of Stars (Kindle Edition)
Gripping story line and fast-paced, this book introduces an intriguing concept to the reader. Am eagerly awaiting the sequel. Fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced dystopian conspiracy that carries you along in an enjoyable debut, 4 Aug 2014
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Whisper of Stars (Paperback)
A debut author, self-published. And a really good read. There are so many writers out their trying to get their books seen, it's hard to choose which ones to try. I'd recommend this one.

It's confident, it's fast-moving, the characters are sympathetic, the story is good. It's very reminiscent of 'Minority Report' (the film) and other dystopian sci-fi films and books set in our world gone to the dogs. Here, Hibernation of the human species is the answer, to preserve resources in a society threatened more and more by global warming. In this world, people live into their mid-hundreds comfortably, but body swapping has become a dangerous underground activity for those trying to defy the aging process for even longer. And that's Jennifer Logan's area - she's part of the police Duality Division, her role to stop those from swapping bodies illegally. But as often happens, she suddenly finds herself at the middle of a conspiracy involving her long-dead father, some deeply buried memories, and the whole system. Who can she trust?

I enjoyed this so much more than I thought I was going to. The writing is instantly accessible and the genre is clearly a love of the author. I really liked picturing Jennifer's world and though Nick Jones did a great job setting the scene and creating her world. It's visual enough to make a film from. Jennifer is a great protagonist, and her 'sidekick' that she picks up later has his own story, his own personality and skills, and isn't just a secondary character.

There are some good 'set piece' scenes, the title is (finally) explained (and makes sense), there is a hanger of an ending, with a sequel to follow, I presume. I'm not a great fan of the cover, though it does epitomise the lead character, it just doesn't quite fit the style of the book, makes her look younger than she's meant to be (and might put off the older market).

One that teenagers might enjoy, but aimed at an adult market (some swearing/short sexual scenes but nothing graphic), it's a good addition to the genre.

With thanks to the author for the review copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping story from beginning to end, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Whisper of Stars (Kindle Edition)
This book is beautifully written and really catches your imagination. The author has managed to come up with some quite brilliant, and sometimes worrying, suggestions of what the future may have in store for us! I can't wait for the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Whisper of Stars (Kindle Edition)
What a fantastic story, not my usual reading material but I found this book impossible to put down. Very well written amazing imagination and believable with a hint of 007 running throughout, albeit with a female agent! Well done Nick. It's a good book in its own right but also set-up nicely for another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Whisper of Stars (Kindle Edition)
I attended the book launch and received a free printed copy of the book.
I am not normally much of a book reader but found I couldn't put this book down.
Would highly recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars None, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Whisper of Stars (Kindle Edition)
It took me a while to get into this story, sci fi is not my usual choice; but having finished reading yesterday I feel so involved with the characters and story line and have so many unanswered questions I can't wait for the sequel. Hope it is progressing well!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Whisper of Stars (Kindle Edition)
I attended Nick's book launch and received a free copy of 'The Whisper of Stars'. Despite the fact that this is far removed from my usual genre of reading material, I found myself becoming more and more engrossed. While it is set in the future, it is a believable place – somewhere where even my limited imagination can easily take me – and as someone new to books set in the future I found this comforting. The strong female protagonist meets up with a recently widowed man who is trying to find out why his journalist wife has been murdered. Though fuelled by different reasons, together they form a reluctant team, pooling their combined intelligence and skills to overcome greater forces. Well thought out, intelligently written and very enjoyable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 Jun 2014
Sarah Pickering Pick "Sera" (Bredon, Gloucestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Whisper of Stars (Kindle Edition)
I attended the book launch knowing nothing of Nick Jones or his book, and I received a free copy. This is exactly the kind of book I love to read, the genre of not-too-distant-future tech thriller with real believable characters who you become invested in. A proper page turner with similarities to Stephen King, another author I love. It would translate so well to film too! I'm now eagerly awaiting the sequel. Awesome work.

5.0 out of 5 stars captivating, cover to cover, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Whisper of Stars (Kindle Edition)
Received my copy of ‘The Whisper of Stars’ at Nick’s book launch.
I knew I would enjoy it when Nick read the prologue to us all, but didn’t realise how much I would LOVE it.
Heart pounding, fascinating, emotionally charged and totally believable.
Hurry up with the next one Nick!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›