5.0 out of 5 stars Lindsey Stirling shatters all music-genre boundaries.
Published 5 months ago by D. C. Stolk

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant enough but a bit samey.
This is the second full album from Lindsey Stirling. I was very impressed by her first so I was pretty excited by an entire album of new material.

Published 1 month ago by Cpt. Tangerine

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Lindsey Stirling shatters all music-genre boundaries., 19 May 2014
D. C. Stolk (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Shatter Me (Audio CD)
Although my tastes in music are very eclectic, I never in a million years would have thought that I would like a CD with violin music as much as this one. But the pixie-like Lindsey Stirling, who has created a music-genre all here own that consists of a fusion of classical, dub step, Celtic folk, dance, pop and rock, has turned me into a devoted fan with “Shatter Me.” It’s the second album by this violin-virtuoso, and on this one she spreads her wings by including guest vocalists on two tracks.

Album opener “Beyond The Veil” is simply amazing, with its haunting melody and triumphant chorus amidst some electronic embellishments. “Mirror Haus” has gorgeous violin sounds mixed with dance beats, as does the even more high-energy violin pop of “V-Pop,” before we come to the outstanding rocker “Shatter Me,” my absolute favorite on this CD. While the lyrics are written by Lindsey, they are given voice by Lizzy Hale from hard-rock band Halestorm. It’s her powerhouse-vocals who give expression to the song's topic of wanting to break free: “Somebody shine a light, I’m frozen by the fear in me, Somebody make me feel alive, And shatter me.”

The fast-paced "Heist” has a slightly edgier, darker feel to it. Then we get to "Roundtable Rival," on which she goes for something completely different. While it has elements of an Irish fiddle number, it soon edges into symphonic metal territory with its guitar riffs and the back and forth between the violin and electric guitar. The upbeat “Night Vision” is a more electronic dance track, with some shades of Michael Jackson. On the uplifting “Take Flight,” the violin twists and swirls through electronics and a thumping bass like a soaring bird.

Next is the uplifting “Ascendance,” a film-score ready soundtrack. The only other song on the album is “We Are Giants,” with the lyrics again written by our dancing violist. It is a poppy song that is perfectly suited to the voice of guest-vocalist Dia Frampton, the rising country-star who was runner-up in the first season of The Voice Of America a few years ago. This is followed by the electronic funk of “Swag,” while the finishing touch is "Master Of Tides," which is kind of a musical counterpoint to first track “Beyond The Veil” and thus a great album closer.

To sum it up: if you’re still in doubt if you’ll really like a full violin-instrumental album, just listen to a sample of the first track and her neo-classical style will have you hooked in no-time flat. And if you haven’t done already, you should really check out Lindsey’s music videos on YouTube, as these are cinematic masterpieces that brilliantly visualize her music. Fully recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fresh, 28 April 2014
Mr. J. DEIGHAN "Deevius" (Northeast England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shatter Me (Audio CD)
This album is beautiful! I guess you could call it 'Neo-Classical' - the traditional sound of the violin blended perfectly with Dance, Rock and Dub-step themes in a skillful blend of awesomeness! Very fresh and contemporary, a genre in itself and perhaps a new age of music.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant enough but a bit samey., 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: Shatter Me (Deluxe) (MP3 Download)

I had heard Beyond The Veil on YouTube and liked it so I had no concerns over whether I would like the new tunes. Unfortunately, Beyond The Veil is not totally indicative of the rest of the tracks and the album is not up to the quality of its predecessor. Lindsey Stirling has a very distinctive musical style that runs through all of her work however in this album this is pushed to the point of repetitiveness. Because of this I have only listened to the album from beginning to end about 3 - 4 times although I have dipped into it here and there - to be honest dipping in is about as much as I can cope with because more that than and the sameness of the music becomes a bit overwhelming. One thing that I did notice when I was listening to it the other day is that there are two versions of Take Flight on the album. Generally, I have no problem with an artist adding a second version of a tune as a bonus track but in this case it seems a little cheeky seeing as the tune for Take Flight is pretty much a reworking (and I'm tempted to say straight-up rip-off) of Transcendence from the first album. The only thing that mollifies me a little is that Transcendence is one of my favourite tracks so a reworking of that isn't the worst thing in the world.

Ultimately, I think that Lindsey only has so many good, original, tunes in her and that this album may have found that maximum and then exceeded it. It may be that I'm being too harsh here, it might just be that her publishers have pushed her too hard to release a second album and that she just isn't a new-album-every-year kind of artist. Maybe if she was left alone to pop out an album when she felt she was ready and had time to polish up the best tunes and discard the fillers a truly great and original album would emerge.

Sadly, this isn't it.

She might have been better advised to produce a collection of her cover tracks instead.

All in all, this is a fairly pleasant album if taken in small doses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shatter Me, 11 May 2014
Miss Lesley J Davis (Kingswinford, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shatter Me (Deluxe) (MP3 Download)
The title song is my favourite track of the lot and the other music is equally as impressive, very emotive. Awesome artist and an excellent album. Well worth a listen to if you already like Lindsey Stirling's music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best modern string composition since 'Variations' (Webber) Massive!, 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: Shatter Me (Audio CD)
Brilliant album from possibly the most exiting new star at the moment. The videos that also are about on the internet, mean that listening to this conjures up a host of images. Lindsey is stunningly different and an international treasure.
To be honest, I think Louie Walsh's comment that Lindsey couldn't play or dance was possibly the result of a hangover, or he has no understanding of this kind of extreme talent. I bet he's kicking himself now!
I can't wait to get into a live performance, pure musical magic!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have album!, 21 Oct 2014
This review is from: Shatter Me (Audio CD)
Great album, every single track on it is amazing. I rarely buy CD's, but I just had to own this one. Because the music is really good and because I want to support a young, talented and unique musician like Lindsey. Some also complained over vocal colabs with Lzzy Hale and Mia Frampton, but I think the vocal parts just add the value to already loved violin parts. At least for me. It's still good old Lindsey, she just added something extra to her 2 songs. How is that bad?

5.0 out of 5 stars nothing short of .Amazing .., 26 April 2014
Lindsey Stirling Amazing
i would deff recommend this album ,

Shatter me is my fave track , very meaningful .
cant wait for the next album x♥x huge fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and amazing, 6 Aug 2014
This review is from: Shatter Me (MP3 Download)
In a word: Beautiful. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect as it was a completely different style from what I usually listen to. I really only purchased this because of the song Shatter me as I am a massive fan of Lzzy Hale and loved the song. I was blown away by the beauty of the album. Definitely going to look into buying more of this amazing woman's work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Shatter Me (Audio CD)
I think that she is great and so is this CD

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as, if not better than the first., 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: Shatter Me (Deluxe) (MP3 Download)
If you liked the first album, you'll love this. Really good tracks. Bit more dancy than the first one. Excellent!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›