Format: Audio CD|Change

There are plenty of obvious classics here that have appeared on countless soul compilations over the years, as well as on other more general pop compilations - just look at the first CD to see what I mean. However, the compilers of this set have included some less obvious tracks, particularly on the second and third CDs, to encourage at least some sales to those (like me) who have heard the classics plenty of times before, and need a reason (or just an excuse) to buy them again.

Focusing on the less obvious tracks, the one that immediately attracted my attention was I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in. This was originally an American top 5 hit in 1968 for Kenny Rogers and the First Edition, and was their first hit of any kind for them. It is also unlike anything that Kenny Rogers has recorded since, with or without the First Edition, Here, the song is covered by Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, whose version was used in the 2008 film soundtrack, Soul men. I've never heard of them before, but I like their version of the song. Given time, I might even admit that it's better than the original.

Also among the less familiar track on CD 2 (to me, anyway), I particularly like California soul (Marlena Shaw), The snake (Al Wilson) and Love on a mountain top - (Robert Knight). Robert Knight was the original writer and singer of Everlasting love, but that song is not featured on this compilation by him or anybody else. Fair enough, especially as I've heard that song plenty of times elsewhere by other artists.

Among the tracks on CD3, James and Bobby Purify are represented by Shake a tail feather, which makes a change from the admittedly superior I'm your puppet, while Shirley Ellis is represented by Soul time, rather than The clapping song.

By all means buy this compilation to get the classics if you haven't already got most of them, but there's some great tracks away from those obvious classics too.
on 5 January 2015
All really good tracks without the usual 'fill in' tracks that you normally have to skip on compilation discs.
on 8 August 2014
If you like soul music this is for you ! All the classics are on these 3 discs.
Arrived well packed and prompt delivery.Would recommend this to family and friends.
on 12 October 2015
I found it to be an excellent double CD album. Great soul music tracks from past decades to enjoy and reminisce.
on 3 October 2015
had songs that I haven't heard in awhile!!-liked some the newer songs also-glad I got this CD
on 21 May 2015
good album and good value for money turned up just before time thanks
on 24 April 2015
Depends what you personally call soul, not what I was expecting
on 9 April 2015
Does what it says on the cover, delivers great soul sounds
on 10 February 2016
Really pleased with this album and delivered super quick.
on 12 November 2015
Brilliant! Exceptional,easy listening and great value