5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality
Published 19 months ago by stuart threadgold

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my choice for easy carry .try a rucksack
This looks tough but HH do one for £20 then it is not like the original as easily leaks and awkward to carry
Best get a rucksack or crewsaver
Published 7 months ago by 7day worker

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, 30 Aug. 2013
Bought this bag because my mate had one and he said they were really good. Packed my kit in it and headed off to Iraq. When I got there, all my kit was still in it and the Zips all worked fine. So hopefully when heading back to the UK in a few weeks time and I have to open my bag a dozen times before I even get on the plane, the zip wont break like it did on my old suitcase and I wont have to worry about my pants and socks whizzing around the conveyor belt in London Heathrow. Good quality material, well made, worth the money!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An iconic bag: holds lots, nigh on indestructible and highly recommended., 7 July 2014
This is everything you want a duffel bag to be, with just one important flaw; it's too big to check in on some flights without paying an excess charge. Otherwise, this is a brilliant bag.

My North Face XL base camp duffel has taken some abuse and come up smiling every time. It has an enormous capacity, big enough for me to load climbing gear and camping equipment and more into it (a friend, a chap of slim build and about 5' 9" in height, managed to fit into one of these curled up, but I'm not recommending you travel that way). The range of compression straps make it easy to tighten it up so that things don't move around inside it. The daisy chain loops on the outside make it easy to tie down should you need to when it's being moved. The rucksack straps and grab-handles at the ends make it easy to move. The fabric can take all manner of abuse and is waterproof too, the zip is chunky and doesn't snag and the internal mesh pocket in the lid makes it easy to retrieve maps and other travel documents when you need them.

It's unfortunate that since a change in regulations a few years ago, this bag is now too large to transport on some flights (see below) without paying an excess charge. If that's important to you and you can cope with a smaller volume bag, get the large size which is can be checked into the hold at no extra cost. That's the only real negative point, except that you may find that you put so much into this bag that you can't lift it.

Otherwise this is a brilliant bag, nigh on indestructible and highly recommended.

----------------------------------

A little more on taking this on a plane. The size of this bag is 81 x 48 x 48cm, so it has a total dimension (length + width + height) of 177cm. If you're planning on flying with this, you need to check what your airline's regulations are. EasyJet say total dimensions shouldn't exceed 275cm, so you might be fine with them (I'd still check though). British Airways would currently class this as an oversized bag, but wouldn't charge you extra, Virgin and KLM might class this as oversized (it's above their size limit in one dimension but below it in the others) so you'd be best advised to check before booking and Delta would definitely class this as an oversized bag and want to charge you more.

Your only option is to get on google, search for your intended carrier and check for yourself. You might be able to take this bag with you without incurring extra charges, but you don't want to find that out when you check in for your flight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 9 Aug. 2013
Having recently returned from a holiday abroad, this bag passed it's main test with flying colours, that of the baggage handler. It came out of the hold unscathed and being bright yellow, was easy to spot on the carousel. Plenty of size to it, and strong. Just what I wanted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed to the gunnels and good, 9 Jun. 2013
Already being the ownder of the XL version which has accompanied me on several trips around the world, that particular bag can sometimes be way too heavy for a single item of luggage. The large version however, after carting it around packed with gear is fine. Normally have to carry several pairs of footwear which can lead to hard edges and cause pressure points on the bags material, there are still no signs of damage or wear, even after it's been thrown around airport baggage handling systems. Also being in high temperature enviroments, some bag materials can suffer due to softening, but this one is still going without obvious signs of damage. Mine being bright red means that it's easy to spot on luggage carousels. A months worth of outdoor gear, heat, heavy downpours of rain and all is still good.

5.0 out of 5 stars After using it for only a day I can say it's a great purchase, theres plenty of space inside and the ..., 9 July 2014
My main concern for this was size, I planned on using it to move SCUBA gear around and to use it to take some personal belongings overseas with me.

After using it for only a day I can say it's a great purchase, theres plenty of space inside and the mesh pocket comes in handy. Plenty of straps and handles to carry it around too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Great for weekend breaks or travelling across the world., 6 Mar. 2015
This bag has been around the world with me several times, as well as on weekend breaks. They are getting more popular in airports so I would still recommend customising it in such a way you know its yours (ribbon or something) but the redness makes it stand out on the carousel straight away. The shoulder straps are definitely only for short distance though, Aeroplane to taxi or something like that. I tried to carry this round Boston for 2 days and it was quite uncomfortable after an hour or so.
The entire bag is waterproof so even in downpours it survives everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality bag, 25 Nov. 2013
I bought two of these bags, the Gold one and the black one for my girlfriend and I. They are fantastic bags, really well made and great quality. The zips are big a rugged and the material looks bomb proof. We recently visited america for three weeks camping and used the bags, we were able to take more than enough clothes to see us through three weeks.

I would definetly buy these again and I am considering the smaller bags for domestic flights. Black is really nice looking (the text is silver, I believe it was white on the previous years) and the contract is very nice. I have the gold/tnf bag and it looks great, especially on the carousel at the airporty, you really can't miss it and everyone is thinking 'check out that bag, he must be an epic traveller going up Everest'. Well at least that's what I assume they are thinking.

Excellent bag, well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough and dependable, 28 Dec. 2011
R. R. Humphry (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm on to my third duffle bag now - all the previous ones have survived - they're just so useful. My previous one was dragged around the Andes and left under piled rocks at 6000m, roped up over sharp rocks etc and still does the job (and it looks the part now!). I also prefer these as luggage when flying as they are lighter than most suitcases and hybrids. If you are into the outdoor sports (e.g. climbing, kayaking) you will likely travel heavy so why waste valuable kgs allowance on heavy cases?

5.0 out of 5 stars Northface grip, 24 Sept. 2014
Easy and comfortable to carry even when heavy using the shoulder straps. Has 2 straps either side that can be used for securing things externally ie a roll mat. Alternatively they can be used as compression straps though not sure how much they can compress it. Also feature MOLLE like loops the length of each side.

Easy to clean inside and out with a warm damp cloth

Seems hard wearing and durable as you'd expect from northface.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 24 Sept. 2013
exactly what it says on the tin. Good quality. Easy to transport and very very yellow (not easy to missplace).

The North Face Base Camp Duffel Travel Bag