5.0 out of 5 stars Something completely different., 24 April 2014
This review is from: The Sound of Crickets (Kindle Edition)
Having read most of Marissa Farrar's books I was delighted to receive a copy of her latest book for review.

As a fan of Marissa's books I was a bit wary of the fact that this book was so different from her usual style, but I was blown away! Written in the style of a blog following the lives of four very different women, I laughed, cried and often found myself wanting to comment on the blog posts.

A fantasticbook with a very thought provoking ending, bringing everyone together, highly recommended read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, touching, clever and couldn't put it down, 23 April 2014
This review is from: The Sound of Crickets (Kindle Edition)
This was a very unusual format, as it was in the form of blog posts and emails throughout, but I very quickly became caught up in the lives of the four women as if I was reading their actual blogs. On a couple of occasions I wanted to post a comment and had to remind myself it was a novel I was reading, not a blog!
The book beautifully explores the unique bond that women can create with each other, even if they've never met, and how they can care and offer the kind of support which is invaluable. Where would we be without our girlfriends?! The conversations were so believable that I was completely drawn in to their worlds and their troubles, and couldn't wait to find out what happened next, how they resolved their issues, what they said to each other etc etc.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and kept finding any excuse to pick it up and read some more. I've got a lot of housework to catch up with now that it's finished!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't stop turning pages, 20 April 2014
This review is from: The Sound of Crickets (Kindle Edition)
The epistolary novel may be a form that belongs mainly to our past, but there is still something to the form that is uniquely compelling to a reader.

Email and blogging are the new letter writing. We email to share the short pieces of information and the better blogs reveal the thoughts and feelings of the author in a concise, entertaining way.

That is what "The Sound of Crickets" does so well. We meet the four main characters immediately - Amelia from Britain, Kelly from New Zealand, Sara from the USA and Charlotte from Canada. Each woman is at a different moment in her life, and together, they build the blog "Life's Too Short for Bad Wine."

What follows is a wonderful glimpse at four unique journeys, and the power of words to grow friendships, even around the world. In our information based society, when so much of us spend huge portions of our lives online, is it any wonder that we are capable and eager to form the bonds of friendship - or that they can be every bit as real as people we meet in our daily lives?

To speak about any one of the womens' experiences would be to spoil the fun of compulsively peeking into the public diary of four special characters.

Marissa Farrar does a great job of giving her main characters a unique voice, and makes us, the reader, an equal part of the action as we are exposed to each new blog post. Comments appear at the end of the articles - and this is one of the only areas that the story falters a little. By giving us reactions to each new piece, the reader is robbed a little of the ability to form their own reaction. However, as the story goes on, we realize that we ARE commenters, and that whether or not we agree with what the women are doing, our opinion is just as valid as any of the others who chime in. (Some of the commenters actually become minor, recurring characters, so their presence is made more and more important as the story goes on.)

The other (small) thing I would point out is that, at points, the individual plots line up a little "too" perfectly - each story has its own beats that never seem to falter, but instead march on to a proper and fitting conclusion. However, this doesn't take away from the fun of reading the stories. After all, Romeo and Juliet begins by spoiling its own ending - and the journey is no less interesting as a result. The same is true here - we keep reading because we WANT to keep reading.

The Sound of Crickets is at once a fun, quick read in a format that most of us are familiar with outside of books - and a beautiful statement on the growing interconnectedness of our world.

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say about this book apart from I absolutely loved it. A great storyline that had me sobbing ..., 11 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Sound of Crickets (Kindle Edition)
I've read a few books by this author now which are very different to this one. What can I say about this book apart from I absolutely loved it. A great storyline that had me sobbing at the end. Feel a bit sad now I have finished this book as the characters felt like my friends and am already missing their blogs. One of my favourite books this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me cry, 1 May 2014
This review is from: The Sound of Crickets (Kindle Edition)
A great holiday book, easy to dip in and out. The character Charlotte moved me to tears. Definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grab a cuppa and get comfy, 29 April 2014
This review is from: The Sound of Crickets (Kindle Edition)
Even though this was not my normal genre i wanted to read it as i had read all of Marissa`s other work and loved them. This book was no exception and i was hooked from the first few pages. Written from the viewpoint of a blog and through emails of four women who have never met face to face but only online. The women quickly become the best of friends and celebrate each other sucesseses and support each other through the bad times. I fell in love with the story and with the characters. Beautifully written, i felt happy when the characters were having good days and shared their tears on their bad days. I would love to see more of the ladies.

4.0 out of 5 stars It took me a little time to get into it ..., 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Sound of Crickets (Kindle Edition)
It took me a little time to get into it but then I was hooked. Well crafted with plotlines that touch all of us. Dont read this book on the train unless you want to be seen laughing aloud then sobbing in public (as I was).

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 15 Feb. 2015
Tracy Turner "T.Turner" (Daventry, Northamptonshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sound of Crickets (Kindle Edition)
Love this book. It made me feel as if I was a part of the group. I would so love to set up my own group. Lovely people in the book. Well done.

The Sound of Crickets