5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable historical fiction book...
This new series from Bernard Cornwell focuses on 9th Century Britain and the onset of the Viking invasion and settlement in a move that would split the country into Wessex and the Danelaw, and how Alfred started to develop into the "great" king he became.
The story follows a young boy called Uhtred, as his family deal with the invasion, and without giving away too...
Published on 23 Oct. 2004 by Iceni Peasant

3.0 out of 5 stars Does do better!
I have read my way through the adventures of Uhtred in the "wrong" order, and greatly improved my enjoyment of these books as a result! I have read most of Cornwell's 'Sharpe' novels and found them enjoyable enough, but with a tendency to become formulaic - another book, another woman etc. So I started "The Pale Horseman" expecting the same approach, set in a different...
Published on 23 April 2007 by Alexa

‹ Previous | 121 22 2332 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vikings!, 12 July 2012
Loved the shield wall battles. Those were just great. You could feel the thud of combat here, and that's something I really appreciate.

5.0 out of 5 stars So beautiful (despite the crudeness...)!, 30 Jan. 2006
Reading history books is sometimes boring (names, dates, especially dates)...But reading a historical "romance" is much better and much more worthy! And this is a romance that is, at the same time, an history book and a novel, a compelling novel that catches the imagination of everyone.
I read it because Bernard Cornwell is my son´s favourite writer (Sharp - he is Cornwell!), but this novel is much more than a romance: this is the History of Europe. The kingdoms, the fiefdoms, the chieftains, the tribes the clans. That was the history of our roots. If we can teach our people not by "history books" but by THESE books, maybe our Concious-Awarenss might be arisen, not only from the past, but also from the present.
Alas! We are all Europeans. And, for the first time, I realised that Angles, Saxons, Germans, Danish (or Vickings, a small name for raiders), may justly apply for Raiders from all over Europe.
Uhtretd of Bebbanburg could have been himself Cid ,El Campeador (from Spain), or Roland (from France), or the much lesser known (Portuguese) Geraldo Geraldes O Sem Pavor, or even someone of German origin who might be a close valet (valido) of Alaric, whose real name nobody will never know - unless Bernard Cornwell would do the research, and bring him to life...
History is Not a Report. History is an interpretation of facts known to all. The importance of the matter, is that such history facts be communicated to future generations in the most captivating way, because otherwise History would not be...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book. Great combination of fact and fiction from ..., 26 Jan. 2015
Amazing book. Great combination of fact and fiction from Bernard Cornwell, and I'm really looking forward to continuing the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Saga, 14 Dec. 2014
This book is very compelling reading I could not put it down the story takes you into another world of bravery heroism and deceit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Last Kingdom, 10 July 2011
This book took a while for me to get in to, but it soon had me hooked, I shall definately be reading the other books in the series

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting ., 17 July 2014
First time I've read Bernard Cornwell it won't be the last. Thoroughly enjoyed this book,now looking for next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 5 Oct. 2011
Another darned good read. Make sure you read the books in the correct order. Not necessary but it sure does help with characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars WESSEX SURVIVES THE THREAT OF THE DANES., 24 Jan. 2015
THE STORY OF ARTHUR AND UTHER IS EXCITING IN PARTS BUT CAN SOMETIMES BE A BIT TO PREDICTABLE AND REPETATIVE. STILL A GOOD READ.

5.0 out of 5 stars great holiday read - managed the 1st 3 of the ..., 12 Nov. 2014
great holiday read - managed the 1st 3 of the 8 in one week -
Cannot wait to get another week away and continue the series

5.0 out of 5 stars B.Cornwell gets better every book I read, 5 Jun. 2013
Like all his books it is most disturbing to my day, I can not put it down. One book I can not give away I will read it again.

‹ Previous | 121 22 2332 | Next ›