5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read
I don't usually write reviews but felt I had to in this instance. I read the first book, The Detective's Daughter, and thought what a great book that was and looked forward to Ghost Girl, and it didn't disappoint. A very good plot, a bit different from the usual with quite a few twists and turns. The main characters, Stella and Jack are developing very nicely and I do...
Published 8 months ago by jackie

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you like unravelling mysteries?
I enjoyed the originality of The Detective's Daughter but found this sequel a little irritating. In particular, while Jack's character was a curiosity in the first book it rankled in this.

It could just be that I wouldn't normally read standard 'detective' books so don't be put off if you do!

Notwithstanding, I enjoyed the flashbacks and kept reading...
Published 5 months ago by A. K. Carlton

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Another well crafted murder mystery., 8 Nov 2014
R G Palmer (Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The second in 'The Detective's Daughter' series carries on where the first one left off. It might be beneficial for the prospective reader to read book 1 before tackling this second instalment, but it's not essential to the enjoyment of the book for them to do so.

Once again we have a meticulous examination of the two main characters, Stella (the titular daughter) and the somewhat bizarre Jack: both of whom are what we call these days 'OCD'. In fact, a good many of Ms Thomson's characters seem to be OCD or at least very odd. She takes us deep into the minds of each of them in a carefully crafted, well written murder mystery set in in the Hammersmith area of West London, which is described for us in minute detail.

As I also said in my review of the first book in this series, if the reader is looking for a fast paced crime thriller then this is not it - what we are presented with here is an intricately plotted, finely tuned piece of work which requires a great deal of concentration to follow properly. It is a good book but will not be to everyone's taste - the amount of detail we are asked to retain about dates, locations, killers and victims is vast and at times probably a bit too much to expect. The author is clearly so deeply into her subject matter that at times she forgets that we have a long way to go to catch her up. She even provides spreadsheets in the text to help us! There is also a big question mark over whether or not the crimes could realistically have been committed with such a resounding success rate bearing in mind how they are being carried out.

Having said which, I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a little more thinking along with their crime books - I look forward to number 3, in which I hope Stella actually has a little more success with her love life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Would have been four stars but for the many typos, 19 Aug 2014
DebbieB (Southend-on-sea) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this unusual book, as I did the first one. The story rattled along and the characters were well-drawn and interesting.
BUT there are a handful of silly errors that a decent proof-reader really should have picked up:
'Stella....heard the Terry's gate click shut.'
'Elizabeth Figg's was body found on 17 June 1959.'
'Douglas Ford was the sole witness and he knew never told anyone...'
Such a shame, and something Lesley Thomson should sort out before the next in the series, which I am, however, really looking forward to.

2.0 out of 5 stars This novel tries too hard to meet all the reader's ..., 19 Sep 2014
This novel tries too hard to meet all the reader's expectations of a thriller and falls short on all accounts . It attempts to merge the mundane with the supernatural and unfortunately the result is a chaotic disjointed interaction with its reader. The ending is both predictable and unrewarding for such a tortuous journey through what only amounts to a labyrinth as uninteresting as the characters who inhabit the story
This was my first encounter with Lesley Thomas and I am sorry to say it will be my only one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to go on reading deep into the night, 21 Nov 2014
GHOST GIRL is one of my favourite books of 2014.
There is a depth to the characters and a compassion for them which stays with you long after you've read the last page.
Lesley Thomson is also brilliant at evoking a sense of place. I feel I know her Hammersmith and it's a pretty dark location. Her evocation of the decaying Mallingswood Prep School with its rows of neatly made beds has a quality to it that is so sinister.

Her central characters, Jack and Stella, are both outsiders and they share a deep integrity which unites them. It also makes you root for them in their quest for the truth about some cold case murders which have been filed away as accidents. Jack has a spiritual dimension to him that enables him to perceive evil in the form of Hosts and True Hosts. The description of these moments is truly chilling. Stella is more grounded but shares his forensic attention to detail. They make an unlikely but great team.
Yes I loved it even though it frightened me thoroughly as I read on deep into the night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 27 Jun 2014
I enjoyed this book, hard to put down. Jack is a strange character but i'm hoping for a third book

5.0 out of 5 stars Ghost girl, 21 May 2014
I have read all the books by this amazing author and this was excellent. I really didn't want it to end. I can't wait for another.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but very slightly unnecessarily comlicated., 20 Oct 2014
P. R. Luck (UK) - See all my reviews
Another excellent story from Lesley Thomson, marked down only because I though it was just slightly too complicated, in a way that didn't really add to the story.

Also, a nitpick - BEWARE SPOILER:

The method the murder was supposed to be using would not really have worked because if s/he had jumped from the pavement the car would have swerved AWAY from any tree on said pavement and if he had come from the other side of the road the driver would have seen him and been prepared. Also, the driver would have braked as well as swerved and if he was far enough from the tree for the car to be able to deviate enough to hit it he would also have lost quite a bit of speed and he would need to hit just about head on to cause a fatality (assuming seatbelt) which would be far to difficult to guarantee with all the variables involved.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not like it, 31 Aug 2014
I could not get into this book no matter how hard I tried. I never did quite finish it, reading about two thirds of it. I don't like not finishing a book, but I also do not like wasting precious moments of my life on things that aren't for me, and this book was one of them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gave up at 20%, 25 Aug 2014
Gave up early. All the characters seemed unappealing. Setting flipped between times & people in a way that didn't allow me to settle into the narrative and get a sense of where it was going. The book's description made it appear attractive. For me it wasn't.

4.0 out of 5 stars Second in the series and it follows on very satisfyingly from the first., 6 Aug 2014
I love a good series - I enjoy the ongoing revelation of the main characters' backstories and gradual unfolding of their lives. I read the first in this series after it popped up in my Amazon recommendations and very quickly bought this one and the third in the series so far. I've enjoyed them very much; I like the writer's style and narrative voice(s) and thought the books were soundly plotted. I like that the principal character, Stella, has a cleaning firm and loves bringing order to chaos and filth; I think it's quirky and amusing.

The books are not so much about working out the who as being involved in the what and the why and how the characters think and feel and respond. I prefer this kind of mystery story; I find it more engaging and entertaining.

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›