Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£18.28

on 18 April 2014
This is the 3rd Lesley Thomson book I've read. I looked out for it and bought it as soon as I could. It's one of those books that I can't put down, but at the same time, I don't want it to end. Convoluted plot, eccentric characters, fabulous scene setting, and lots of signposting and red herrings leave you guessing to the end. Smashing.
on 23 April 2014
I don't usually write reviews but felt I had to in this instance. I read the first book, The Detective's Daughter, and thought what a great book that was and looked forward to Ghost Girl, and it didn't disappoint. A very good plot, a bit different from the usual with quite a few twists and turns. The main characters, Stella and Jack are developing very nicely and I do have to admit a soft spot for Jack. All in all one of the best books, indeed series, I have read, and although only just out cannot wait for "part three"
on 3 October 2014
This is one of the worst books I have read for a long time. Having read The Detective' s Daughter, and found it reasonable, foolishly I bought Ghost Girl. As the reviews (I read them too late!) say, it turned out to have a confusing and implausible storyline, too many aliases and changes of location. Why did I keep reading? Because I could not believe how badly written it was, kept hoping for some improvement. All through the book, I found myself mentally rewriting some passages, and thinking how the editing could have been so much better. I shall not purchase any more of this writer's books, and would advise any prospective buyers of Ghost Girl to read the reviews and consider carefully before parting with hard-earned cash.
on 19 July 2014
I enjoyed the originality of The Detective's Daughter but found this sequel a little irritating. In particular, while Jack's character was a curiosity in the first book it rankled in this.

It could just be that I wouldn't normally read standard 'detective' books so don't be put off if you do!

Notwithstanding, I enjoyed the flashbacks and kept reading to untangle the puzzle.
on 11 August 2014
Fantastic edge of your seat thriller that keeps you guessing right to the end. A wonderful narrative and fantastic character development, even the father who is the dead detective. The daughter takes on his personal interest cases for the second time and presents the job of detective as a total vocation with an interest in justice and the truth at it's heart. Loved it as much as the first.
on 30 August 2014
A powerful novel. The characters grew on me: I didn't quite "get" them at first, but gradually I did. Stella is a cleanliness-freak, a grieving daughter who feels more than she lets on. Jack wanders in an out of others' lives and homes, by turns lost and intuitive. There is no set pattern of who rescues who: it's a bit of both. They are human and their flaws are depicted with comprehension and compassion. Above all, they are very fully realized. The relationship between them deepens and develops over the two novels in this series. I actually felt sad to leave them and long for the next book. The setting, too, is very fully realized and atmospheric. Lesley Thomson is skilled at evocative London settings (vividly "seen" geographical locations, decay next to development and stages in between, multi-layered with traces of different "pasts"), reminding me of Nicci French's Freida Klein novels, Rendell-Vine and Frances Fyfield. She is good at a strong sense of mystery and at exploring the traces of the past in the present. Cutting between past and present events is not uncommon, but Thomson does it particularly well. In this novel, as in The Detectives Daughter, events from the past unravel in the present in unexpected ways and part of the mystery is finding out who the past character has become. One of the best crime novels I've read for ages.
on 31 August 2014
I could not get into this book no matter how hard I tried. I never did quite finish it, reading about two thirds of it. I don't like not finishing a book, but I also do not like wasting precious moments of my life on things that aren't for me, and this book was one of them.
on 5 September 2014
An interesting set of characters, and by no means predictable. The flashbacks were not a problem, and I liked the alternation between viewpoints in the present. The narrative was well written and engaging. I am reluctant to post a negative review, but my problem with the ending completely outweighed the good points of the main story, I felt as if my time had been wasted trying to figure it out - a bit like when I watched "Twin Peaks" many years ago! The thing is, when you eventually find out who the killer is, and their method of murder, it doesn't make sense at all. The murder method is very unlikely to work once, let alone repeatedly, yet it is the key feature of the plot, and for that reason I felt cheated. I know it is fairly common to get to the end of a murder mystery, whether a novel or a film, thinking, "But why would they do that it that way? It doesn't make sense", and this is a good example of that.
on 12 May 2014
I started by thinking where is this story going.....then I read on and was hooked. Another great read for me from Lesley Thomson
on 26 August 2014
Too disjointed boring early on just getting into it at the end. Characters weird and don't resonate